Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • How much to bring ebola patient back to the UK ? Who pays ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Just asking like…

A couple of million I guess…

chojin
    Free Member

Who knows – Does it matter though?

AdamW
    Free Member

For someone who risks his life to save others?

Worth every penny.

ricky1
    Free Member

Most done by m.o.d and this doesn’t happen all the time so it’s good drills for them,don’t know how much it would cost,what I want to know is why they want the infection in this country.

franksinatra

what I want to know is why they want the infection in this country.

They don’t want it. But they are doing what we would all want, treating a seriously ill person. In doing this they are both, hopefully, saving his life whilst also learning more about the treatment of this illness and perhaps therefore saving other lives.

Drac

They don’t want the infection in the country, they went to treat someone who volunteered to do the same.

ricky1
    Free Member

Exactly what I was asking franksinatra.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

You have to look after people who do things like this, if you want people to do things like this. Same as the military.

The cost isn’t important. Keeping the faith is.

jambalaya
    Free Member

A couple of million I guess…

He may well have travel insurance, cost would be less than £100k (max) IMO. If he didn’t have travel insurance I’d be more than happy for the state to pay to repatriate someone doing voluntarily medical work. It also gives our medical experts a chance to treat the virus and learn about it, potentially invaluable information

ricky1
    Free Member

Saving lives where,the whole of Africa,and who’s going to pay for that…them?

ton

Drac

Potentially globally. Various tax payers world wide.

olddog

He’s a nurse working with Ebola patients so it may be that the organisation he was working with may have insurance or an agreement with Govt for this kind of thing.

£2million seem way to much – wasn’t it an RAF plane that brought him back? I can’t see an RAF medevac flight to West Africa costing that much and happy to stump up from my taxes.

fasthaggis

what I want to know is why they want the infection in this country

Come on ricky1 ,get that old imagination going.

Maybe they want to weaponize the disease,so they need to work on a sample in the UK .

ricky1
    Free Member

There’s no need to weaponise it,it’s uncontrollable as it is.

Drac

Maybe they want to weaponize the disease,so they need to work on a sample in the UK .

I have faith that a rebel employee will hijack a helicopter and some how be able to fly around the country without refuelling and not appearing on GPS tracking

fasthaggis

There’s no need to weaponise it,it’s uncontrollable as it is.

ricky1 ,come on ,you are not thinking this through,an uncontrolable weaponized disease is no good to anyone.

Drac the MOD have invisible helicopters that run on clouds,it would be easy for that rebel employee to escape and fly anywhere in the country.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Op,have some compassion.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I agree entirely with paying for it.

But on a beurocratic note, who actualy pays for it? Does the MOD have a petty cash tin? Or the NHS? Or does Giddeon actualy have a heart and soul and find the change down the back of the etonian club sofa?

monksie
    Free Member

Why does asking out of interest, how much an operation like this would cost to finance make somebody devoid of compassion?
    Nobody asked “How much does this cost because I reckon it could be millions and I think that’s its poor value for money and they should just leave him there to get better….or not get better?”

schmiken

It’s hard to think that it’s the same guy I went to school with. So I’d say I’m happy to pay out of my taxes to at least get him home.

badnewz
    Free Member

In terms of taxes, most of it just goes on-top of the national debt. So we’re not really paying for it, our children and grandchildren are.
    In this case, I don’t mind, but it will be in the millions not the thousands.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

How much to bring ebola patient back to the UK ? Who pays ?

Who cares ?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Given that it’s on the front pages of most of the papers, have they paid for the story?

Will this go some way to reimbursing costs, or is it just an exercise in spreading fear?

Did anyone ever get SARS or Birdflu?

Given the investment in biological weapons over the years at Porton Down, you’d hope they’d find a cure too!!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I can’t see an RAF medevac flight to West Africa costing that much and happy to stump up from my taxes.

Maybe not, but then you’re not a troll looking for a reason to be outraged.

GrahamS
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Given the investment in biological weapons over the years at Porton Down, you’d hope they’d find a cure too!!

You don’t really have a clue about what goes on there, do you?

Drac

Given that it’s on the front pages of most of the papers, have they paid for the story?

Are you drunk as your questions can’t be off of a man in a sober state.

dang100
    Free Member

anyone know what they flew him in? Let’s say it was a Hercules – according to this article (http://nation.time.com/2013/04/02/costly-flight-hours/ ) a standard hercules would cost 14k USD an hour flight time. Freetown to London by passenger jet is 6 and a half hours. Return flight so 13 hours. Hercules is a lot slower than a passenger jet so 22 hours = 307kUSD or 185k GBP Plus, say, a two-day lay-over which I am making a wild guess would cost 100k GBP. So about 285kGBP before taking into consideration doctors and medical equipment. It could easily run to half a million.

In terms of who pays, it would be quite a good insurance policy that would pay out for catching ebola while in west africa treating ebola patients. Even if it was covered by the insurance, does the RAF commercial work in return for money?

grahamt1980

It was an raf c17.
    personally I’m happy for my taxes to pay for that.
    Anyone whinging should better hope not to need and consulate assistance while abroad as that costs our money too.
    Self centered arseholes who are asking why should wonder what they can do to help humanity rather than being dicks

CountZero

ricky1 – Member
    Saving lives where,the whole of Africa,and who’s going to pay for that…them?

The government of whichever country it happens to occur in, rather like what’s happening now, along with the various charities, again, rather like what’s happening now.
    The attempt to provoke some sort of justified outrage concerning the cost is really rather sad. It’s in everyone’s best interest to make sure this disease is controlled, and not allowed to spread any further.
    The failure to do so by any government would amount to gross dereliction of duty to its people.
    We can only be truly thankful that this disease doesn’t have an airborne vector.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

We can only be truly thankful that this disease doesn’t have an airborne vector.

..and that some people are prepared to try and deal with it, even if they are putting themselves ant risk.

footflaps

A very good use of tax payers money. If overseas volunteers know the UK ‘has their back’ and will step in when the shit hits the fan etc, then that’s a good thing all round.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Yes.

SARS: over 8000 cases worldwide with 775 deaths.

H5N1 Bird Flu: 650 cases with 386 deaths (still ongoing)

It’s a shame, but pretty minimal danger:

Bikes are a lot more dangerous than that

Cars even more so

You don’t really have a clue about what goes on there, do you?

Do you?

The Anthrax sent in letters after 9/11 apparently originated from CIA labs at Fort Detrick

GrahamS

It’s a shame, but pretty minimal danger:
    Cars even more so

That depends how you measure danger really. Those figures suggest SARS killed about one in ten people that caught it and H5N1 kills over half.

Cars and bikes aren’t more dangerous than that, they are just a lot more common.

H5N1 and SARS (and Ebola) had/have the potential to become common if they were/are not contained and treated or if they mutate.

ricky1
    Free Member

Countzero maybe you should direct your rant at the OP,if you didn’t realise money is what this thread is about.

psling
    Free Member

Pretty standard policy to repatriate British Citizens in times of need I believe. No idea of the cost in this instance. Same principle as recovering an injured MTBer off a mountain in Wales really, except more expensive.

Drac

Cars and bikes kill more? Eh! Why is that even relevant. Next up, alcohol kills more.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

jivehoneyjive – Member

Cars even more so
    Drac, highlighted something you might have missed? measurements are made in tinfoil hats – common sense and facts not included

Drac

Drac, did you miss something? measurements are made in tinfoil hats

I bet there’s a government conspiracy holding back the vaccine for getting run over by a car so there pharmaceutical giants can add mind controlling drugs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘How much to bring ebola patient back to the UK ? Who pays ?’ is closed to new replies.