Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How much snot and flem per mile?
  • RustyNissanPrairie

I haven’t had a cold for ages and Im fit and ride (and commute) year round but I always seem to be snotting and gozzing all over the place when Im hammering along on my commute.

I might design some sort of body fluid collector and see much I expunge.

I dont have any roadie/commuting mates so cant compare gozzing amount to anyone else?

Is my brain melting and dribbling out? or are my lungs turning to mush? or is it normal?

chrisdw
    Free Member

This time of year. Lots. Always.

Houns

My nose is like a tap. Been the same since had tonsils out 13 years ago, don’t know why

kimbers

Phlegm

welshfarmer

Double barrel snot gun.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Significantly more on the ‘head down’ road bike.
    Very little on the ‘sit up and beg’ Enduro-sled 😉

thepurist

[video]http://vimeo.com/86967678[/video]

ahwiles
    Free Member

drink less milk.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Double barrel snot gun.

This. The Yorkshire Dales & North York Moors are covered in my snot.

colournoise

Suffer from Perennial Rhinitis so am king of the snot rockets. I have absolutely no idea how my sinuses produce so much sticky liquid…

I can cope with it all except for when the ‘still spinning along snot rocket’ goes horribly wrong and your shoulder ends up covered in your own mucus.

GrahamS

drink less milk.

+1 opened the thread to say that.

I’ve been blessed with chronic sinus problems for most of my life but cutting out milk has really helped.

I’m not religious about it. e.g. I still have butter and cheese and I don’t check labels for powdered milk etc. But I cut out my main sources of milk by switching to black coffee and taking apple squash on my morning muesli instead of milk.

mattyfez

Depends on the time of year.. This time of year in Yorkshire, quite a bit.

Get some gloves with a built in snot wipe!

RustyNissanPrairie

my gloves are crusty from snottage!
    cut milk out? no chance!

mikey74
    Free Member

Running is worse for me: It seems to work out about a pint/5km from my nose and about half that in phlegm*

* some slight exaggeration may have happened here, but you get the idea.

ahwiles
    Free Member

RustyNissanPrairie – Member
    my gloves are crusty from snottage!
    cut milk out? no chance!

Your choice.

I try to avoid milk, for various reasons, but if I’ve fallen off the wagon a bit, I *swear* I can taste milk in all the mucus that comes out of my face afterwards – during exercise.

(Seems to make it extra sticky as well…)

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Obligatory XKCD what if episode
    Saliva rather than snot specific, but it might help with any calculations you feel you need to do?

wwaswas

I am the mucus man.

Gloves with a big snot wipe and a hanky (cotton – they keep working even when wet) are the best solution.

You just have to be phlegmatic about it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Always snotted me. Never known a ride without snotting… For me it’s worse in winter, but I think it’s probably the same in summer just it’s harder consistency and blow fewer but larger balls.

Worst thing is on the roadie or CXer I’m always head down, so when I blow l lift slightly to clear my shoulders but I still get covered on them.. Bit gross I know.

Worst is following one of your mates whose still not got the idea of rolling off the back to snot one out, git.

Trimix
    Free Member

Our mountain biking group has taken to riding on the road a bit due to the wet/muddy conditions.
    None of us has a clue about snot etiquette.

We keep snotting on each other.

GrahamS

cut milk out? no chance!

Maybe just give it a try for a couple of months and see what happens? It’s not too hard and you may be surprised.

If you stop to think about it, milk is a really odd thing to consume anyway, we’re just habituated to it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How much snot and flem per mile?’ is closed to new replies.