Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How much should it cost to true a wheel?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

I need to know how much I should be paying to have some buckles and flat spots removed from my new but used deemax wheels.

After sorting the bearings and the freehub I checked the wheels were straight and running fine, guess what they run like thick shite of a flat surface 😯

So how much should it cost to have them sorted, any help appreciated 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Anything from £6 to £20.
    Had a spoke replaced last week cost me £16.

Northwind

I paid a tenner I think for a total retension (an assembled but not “built” wheel with no dish or tension or anything) from Icycles in Innerleithen and it’s a bloomin superb build. Fast turnaround too and Steve knows DH kit better than anyone.

Rorschach
    Free Member

nowt much you can do about flat spots…..£10-15

clunker

My LBS do it for free, but I have spent a few £££ with them over the years. As above £10 is about right.

ampthill

Evans was loads I think £25 for a spoke

Phil Corley were just over £11

Well done Corleys..

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

My LBS charges £10 for the truing, £1 per replacement spoke and £1 for the rim tape which is required whether you have 1 new spoke or 36 new spokes. Usually a buckle that you can ride to the shop costs £10-15 depending on how buggered things are.

EDIY – just reread the OP and flat spots will never come out. Big problem when we used rim brakes but not so much of a problem with discs…. unless your rims look like 50 pence pieces that is!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Never paid to be honest when it comes to truing, never had a spoke replaced so couldn’t comment

lipseal
    Free Member

I get charged £5, would do it myself but I like to give a little back to my LBS.

richen987
    Free Member

Hargroves charged me 15 for truing my wheel, thought that was pricey personally. But seems to be standard price round our way

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

some buckles and flat spots removed from my new but used.

You see, thats a bit of a “piece of string” question.

“new but used”… rings alarm bells, well, how old are they, who/what were they used by – if they were well looked after, then it could be a tenner, it could be two hundred quid

“some buckles and flat spots” doesn’t really help us, they could just need a quick tune up, they could need new rim and spokes – all depends how bad it is!

4ndyB
    Free Member

We charge from £10-£15, depending on how long it takes to do the work, although if you buy a wheel, or have one built by us we don’t usually charge for a quick true up

Spokes £1 each for regular plain gauge

Full rebuild using PG spokes £30 per wheel, can’t remember how much it is for a rebuild with butted spokes

Flat spots are not repairable, you’d need a new rim & rebuild

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How much should it cost to true a wheel?’ is closed to new replies.