Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How much should an architect charge for a small extension?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Evening all, I’m looking at getting a small,10m x 2.6m x 6m(across the back), single story L shaped extension to the side & rear of my property, looking for an architect that charges sensible sums, I’d like to believe that forearmed is forewarned, so any ideas as to what I should be paying for
    1, outline drawing for planning permission.

2, detailed drawings for building regs

3, 3rd party structural engineer (why do I need one of these?)

Many thanks in advance & happy trails.

br
    Free Member

1,2 and 3 – £5k?

Build cost circa £60k

teagirl
    Free Member

Ask an architect technician, they won’t cost as much.

ojom
    Free Member

Hmm well we got some majot plans done by architect and it was just £450.

The engineer was paid a further £750 for his work in doing the calcs and prepping plans for the builders to follow re spec etc

Building warrant was issued in 2 weeks with no probs. Usually 6 weeks.

The building work we are undertaking is £15-16k approx.

nickjb
    Free Member

Check your permitted development rights, you might not need planning permission

djglover
    Free Member

I think I paid a grand for all the drawings for mine. That was the loft, but it will be the same for the extension I expect.

Build cost 18K

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I had a rough quote of
    1, £600
    2, £800
    3, £400, although still unclear why I need one?

I’m in a conservation area so I do need them, but considering I have had previous planning for a 2 story I’m quite sure it will go through.

Cheers.

loddrik
    Free Member

Make sure the architect is familiar with your conservation area and ensure he seeks advice from the councils conservation dept rather than submitting blind. Refused many apps in cons areas which could have been avoided with brief consultation prior to submission.

giantjason
    Free Member

if you dont need a structural engineer then who is going to design the building and provide calcs and specs.

how close is you building to your boundary line and is there any adjacent structures……if so you may also need a party wall surveyor.

aP
    Free Member

Architects don’t carry PI for structural calcs so that’s why you need a SE.
    Your quote sounds standard and depressingly reflects how little architects are valued.

Taff
    Free Member

1500 for both is about right. Best bet is to get a technician to do it though. If it’s a straight forward extension look to pay about 400-500. Another benefit of using a technician is that he may h e engineer contacts who can get that price down!! Just had one do some work for me for a ton.

backhander
    Free Member

build cost £60K?!?!?!?!

ojom
    Free Member

i was suprised how little the fees were actually. expected a LOT more for the quality of work the guys did.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks again, seems about right then, except I seem to be paying for the building regs twice, or did I get that bit wrong…

Taff
    Free Member

You pay planning which is the right to build and then building regs which proves that it can be built

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

My costs above don’t include LA fees, so thats an extra £150 gor the planning & £600 for the regs.
    Cheers.

br
    Free Member

build cost £60K?!?!?!?!

60m2 at £1k per m2

That was a max, since we’ve no idea of the local requirements (slate etc), ground state (foundations) nor changes to the existing property and more importantly, where in the UK.

Taff
    Free Member

£1k per m² is standard. Depends what you put in the extension, how it affect original building [new boiler if required, bathroom etc] and ground conditions so it will fluctuate but gives a starting point. Doing one at the moment and it’s working out at about 30k for same kind of area

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Kitchen extension linking into an existing conservatory and was quoted ‘about’ £1,500 for the lot.

So far haven’t paid anything for the architect to come out and discuss the project and the junior to come out and measure everything up.

I was surprised how much detail was measured for a relatively small extension at the back of the house. Basically a whole house plan with internal and external measurements.

Just waiting to see what they come back with in terms of the plans.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How much should an architect charge for a small extension?’ is closed to new replies.