Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • How much servicing do Fox 36s really need?
  • mcinnes
    Free Member

Hello brothers and sisters,

I have some Fox 36s which I bought new, probably about 15 months ago. They’ve had moderate use.

I have never had them serviced, though I know officially they should have had a 5 month service or something.

In your multitude of experiences, what’s really essential with 36s? What do I need to get done, without going to the nth degree?

It will need to be done by a professional as I’m a numpty, so please bear that in mind 😀

Ta.

moonboy
    Free Member

I waited to long. (18 months regular use)

Wore the stantions, had to get the top end replaced by mojo and it cost lots!

Depends how often you clean the sponges I think. This is the key to eeking out more life.

Lovely forks but the Fox regular servicing thing is a bit of a PITA!

Trimix
    Free Member

At the very least do the wiper seals. Do them now. Its easy and simple and there are videos for it. TF Tuned for example sell a kit for it.

Any mud / dust / crap will soon get past the seals. They are only a tight rubber fitting, so dry mud just goes past them quite easily.

Dust particularly will soon absorb the oil in the sponge oil ring, this will go dry and your seals / bushes will wear the stantions.

They are not bullet proof and cost loads to replace when worn.

Dust is as bad as mud.

I would follow the recommendations for the wiper service, do it now and then do it say 10 hours of riding later and see what it looks like. If its clean, fine extend it a bit. You need to be the judge of that as it really depends on where you ride.

Dont lube the outside of the fork – that just makes it easier for crap to get past the wiper. Dont use anything that will damage the rubber seal – Fox take a dim view of even things like muc off as it could harden the rubber. Just use water, they also say that any solvant (soap or WD40) will of course remove any lube – they are technically correct, so go easy with it and dont bath your fork seals in it when cleaning the bike.

Look at the colour of the oil when you do it – that will soon show you the amount of care you need to provide them.

Dino
    Free Member

I would say mainly top seals once of twice a year (depending on how much you ride) and change the lube / bath oil at same time. Damper cartridge once a year if your riding alot.
    fork seal service is really easy, instructions on fox site would take a numpty about an hour.
    If not send to Loco etc..

mcinnes
    Free Member

A belated thank you for the helpful comments. Cheers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘How much servicing do Fox 36s really need?’ is closed to new replies.