Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • How Much Pockey Money ?
  • greasystain
    Free Member

What is the going pocket money rate for a 9 year old?

naokfreek
    Free Member

£1 a week tops, if they want more they should work for it.

greasystain
    Free Member

You're not from Yorkshire are you naofreek?

sslowpace
    Free Member

Our 8 year old gets £1 a week, and needs to make her bed and keep her room and stuff tidy(ish). She never spends it though!

naokfreek
    Free Member

No, London, where children are forced to work in vile conditions for £1.03 a week (40 hours).

Davemunk
    Free Member

Yup, £1. After careful consultation of the parents at the children's centre I work at- £1 is the going rate.

ton

£5 a week, but with a list of chores.
    bedroom tidy
    washing pots after tea.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Our two get half their age a week. So 8 yr old gets £4 and 11 yr old gets £5.50.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

£5 a week here too. Only given if all chores completed – including clearing out the fireplace!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I give mine £5 but he has to do chores on Saturday morning for it..

Cooroo
    Free Member

£1 a week until she was 12 and started needing bus fares, extra drink at school etc. Now she gets £10 but has to make it cover quite a bit.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Oh Feefoo…I feel so much better now knowing that I'm not the only one to make their children clean out the fireplace!! 8)

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

My 12 year od gets £12:50 per week to spend from me every week and I pay for mid week gym club and guitar lessons.
    I think her mum gives her a few quid but I don't ask 'cos I don't care.
    What can they buy with £1:00 per week? It doesn't seem worth having to me.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

It's funny isn't it. Everyones quick to "claim where theres blame", and is disappointed when their house doesn't rocket up in value, ane tends to expect something for nothing.

But everyone also expects their kids, who only have one shot at being kids, to live hand to mouth, dependent on begging, and to behave like little adults, having to work for pennies. I thought we'd abolished child slavery years ago.

And I don't think theres actually much evidence that you intrinsically change a childs nature by forcing them to "earn" pocket money. A lazy child/slow developer whatever is more likely to be effected by the hours you send them to bed, how you support them in their interests, than telling them to do the washing up for a £1.

Indeed, you teach them the price of everything, (ie washing up/hoovering ec) and the value of nothing. Why wouldnt any right minded adult who hates slaving away for an employer all week, suddenly expect 9 year olds to accept this shit?

Give the child a sum, say a fiver. If they spend it stupidly, they dont get any more, thats the rules, – blow it on sweets, you don't get to save for the computer game you want – its about teaching responsibility and about the effects of making choices, not about mind numbing slavery.

Do the washing up together, samw ithchores, if you want the chilsd to do them – spend some quality time whilst your at it, making it an opportunity to bond and communicate – talking about school, relationships, whatever is on the childs mind, rather than sitting watching telly whilst your dishes get done for 1/5 of the min wage.

I find almost every posters view both guilty of double standards, and lazyness. You wanted the child. Surprise, they create mess and inconvenience, deal with it, dont pass it on to them. Love them, spend quality time, don't treat them the way you bitterltyresent being treated yourself. If your boss behaved with you the way you seem to with your kids, no wonder they end up aged 15 hanging around bus shelters doing smack….

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

I'm with him, well said.

br
    Free Member

My elder two (16 and 14) get £50 a month each from me (ex-wife), while our son (11) in theory gets £5 a week – but he's never bothered for it and would rather have 'credit' for whenever he wants/needs something.

It all depends on what you can 'afford', and what they need to spend it on.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

@Jujuuk68

Indeed, you teach them the price of everything, (ie washing up/hoovering ec) and the value of nothing. Why wouldnt any right minded adult who hates slaving away for an employer all week, suddenly expect 9 year olds to accept this shit?

So… teach them that work is a waste of time and it contributes nothing of worth to society?

We need a few more kids growing into kidults thinking this way.
    That'll improve things.

westkipper
    Free Member

Why not write an indignant letter to the Daily Mail complaining of how immigrant children are stealing the pocketmoney of decent British children? 🙂

Nick

Just starting to give my soon to be 9 year old £3 a week, but that is on the proviso that she checks the chicks a couple of times a week.

luke
    Free Member

My daughter is still to young to really care.
    But the lad gets £1 a day if he behaves, there's a scale of fines for misbehaving and he gets paid on a monthly basis. He can spend it how he likes and can also earn bonuses for things like helping around the house, and good school work. Since we introduced the good school work bonus he has gone up a set in every subject at school apart from maths which he was already top in, but each week he now gets 100% in his spelling tests.
    He thought it would be a simple way of getting a new DS game each month, but he now realises it's hard work. He averages about £18-24 a month, and he'll be 7 on monday.

im too busy sending them to a sweatshop to worry about that stuff!

grantway
    Free Member

Used to give my 9 year old £ 5 quid to help me to wash me car
    Then we go out to eat and cost a hell lot more But she was happy 😆

skidartist
    Free Member

Angela – Member
    Oh Feefoo…I feel so much better now knowing that I'm not the only one to make their children clean out the fireplace!!

At least Feefoo lets them wait til the fire has gone out though 🙂

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Oh, come on skidartist… I do let them wear special propective gloves!! 🙄

I don't want a couple of namby-pambys on my hands!

8)

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Oh, and Juuuuujuuuuuuk68..I think you're a little bit mad!! 8)

My kids do jobs around the house, but not related to pocket money.
    They do not have to "earn" their pocket money.
    No f**ker pays me to tidy the house so I'm not going to pay them to do it either!! 😆

nickc

My two get their age in money each month. They don't do chores. If they want to help that's fine, if they don't that's fine also.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘How Much Pockey Money ?’ is closed to new replies.