Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • How much is my Trek fuel E9.9 (2010) carbon worth?
  • blw1473
    Free Member

I Fancy something new after spending years building my pride and joy and am wondering what mine is worth. I know in reality it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay, but I’m curious. Originally in 2010 it’s was over £6k, but I know it’s no where near that now despite upgrades. It’s in great condition and is as follows:

Helitaped OCLV carbon frame
    XTR brakes
    XT Hollowtech 2 crank
    XT front and rear mech ( rapid rise ) upgrading to XTR in a week..
    Rock shox dropper seat post
    Ritchey carbon bars and stem
    Carbon seat clamp
    Running tubeless, nobbly nics
    Red hope pro 2 hubs
    Kashmia coated RPL 3 DRCV rear shock
    Fox float RL front forks
    White Ritchey saddle
    Lizard skin grips

Would be great to get an idea ?
    Brian
    blw1473@hotmail.com

njee20
    Free Member

Excellent first post in the real forum, welcome!

I’ll open the bidding at £4.60.

stevied
    Free Member

Well, there’s a guy selling one here for £800:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cheap-as-chips-trek-fuel-ex-99-boardman-fs-pro-650b-frame

so, if that one sells, I’ll guess about £800

sbob
    Free Member

I’ll give you £20 and an ayurvedic massage.

superstu
    Free Member

Can’t help you on the price, but would only ever suggest checking out similarly sold items on ebay (you can do a quick search)

More interesting for me is why you are upgrading your mechs to XTR next week and then selling? You wont get back what you pay for the upgrade so throwing money away IMHO. Would also argue that it wont make the bike more sellable, so seems strange…

tomd
    Free Member

Maybe £1K or thereabouts. Really blingy but a bit out of date* bikes don’t seem to go for much. Given that you can get fantastic looking new bikes with a trendy wheel size for <£2k (inc warranty) very few people will be willing to shell out big money 2nd hand.

*not saying there is anything wrong with your bike, it’s just things have changed quite a lot in 5 yrs

atlaz
    Free Member

Might be interested in the frame if you decide so split

blw1473
    Free Member

Superstu… It’s one of those ocd things !! 🙂 I want it all to match. I know I won’t recoup the £££, but at least it would match, furthermore, I’m only toying with the idea getting rid and was more curious than anything else. Thanks for your reply though 🙂

blw1473
    Free Member

Thanks tomd…

njee20
    Free Member

If you sell don’t bother fitting the XTR mechs, OCD or not, that’s a complete waste of money.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Hi, I’m the guy who’s selling the other 2010 Trek Fuel Ex 9.9……..

My pricing is based on really wanting to move it on as quickly as possible (to release funds for another bike of course!), so I suspect I’m pitching it a bit low (but the ploy hasn’t worked yet – lots of tyre kickers but no buyers)

Also mine has a couple of totally cosmetic marks on the Evo swing arm, which reduce its perceived value a bit.

So assuming yours is in really excellent condition, and given that you have XTR brakes and a dropper post, my suggestion would be that you pitch it at £1K for a quick sale, or hang out for £1.2K if you’re willing to wait for ages until the ‘right’ person comes along.

Hope that helps Brian?

Mike

dekadanse
    Free Member

PS – I’m not sure that looking at prices fetched on Fleabay is a good idea – in my experience (and I HATE eBay) prices fetched one week will vary hugely from prices fetched the following week – totally random process really.

br
    Free Member

There was another one for sale last week, just under a grand.

I bought a different 26″ carbon FS last week off STW classifieds, good condition and well-specced; paid less than a grand too.

tpbiker
    Free Member

this is a depressing thread… i was going to post a ‘how much is my 2011 anthem worth’ thread, but given what the OPs bike appears to be worth i may as well hang it on the wall or sell it as scrap……

blw1473
    Free Member

Cheers dekadanse ‘Mike’

A nice honest appraisal albeit somewhat depressing 🙂 it is indeed in excellent condition and forgot to mention it has xtr rapid fire shiters, but I know that won’t add much. I couldn’t let it go for 1k I’d rather keep it as a spare. It’s amazing much they depreciate.

njee20
    Free Member

this is a depressing thread… i was going to post a ‘how much is my 2011 anthem worth’ thread, but given what the OPs bike appears to be worth i may as well hang it on the wall or sell it as scrap……

If it’s any consolation I think STW is the worst place for sellers. I’ve always got far higher prices on BikeRadar, XCRacer, Weight Weenies and eBay. I know some people have issues with the latter, but IMO it’s the best place to sell, and the additional cash you get more than covers the fees.

tomd
    Free Member

Yep the depreciation is crazy. The rapid change in fashion over the last few years towards 650b and 29er, coupled with more “enduro” geometry stype stuff have seen to that. I have a 2012 Trek Fuel Ex that I might consider selling but for the sake of the £600 odd I’d get for it I think I’ll just keep it.

Tracey

From my experience you would be better off splitting it, its more hassle but you will probably get more for it.

pb2

I recently got £820 on ebay for my ally 9.8 with dropper seat post so total agree with the 1.0 to 1,2k estimate.

plyphon
    Free Member

OPs bike appears to be worth i may as well hang it on the wall or sell it as scrap……

thats a bit melodramatic is it not?

njee20
    Free Member

I recently got £820 on ebay for my ally 9.8 with dropper seat post so total agree with the 1.0 to 1,2k estimate.

There’s never been an alu 9.8? A 9, or 8, which were vastly cheaper new. The 9.x nomenclature has always been reserved for carbon frames.

ste_t
    Free Member

I sold my 2010 carbon frame for £375 earlier this year. Didn’t get a lot of interest though.

You’ll be better off splitting for sure

blw1473
    Free Member

I really appreciate everyone’s opinion on this, whilst I haven’t Recieved the response I was hoping for ( but secretly suspected ) Ill have to mull it over as I’m not into splitting it, I could swap it I suppose, just fancy a change.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

They depreciate so much because shops still have certain models at the end of year.Bang a lot of them, then so already the secondhand value is killed.Great for the buyer no good for seller.In evans back in August they had 1k of a new 2014 Remedy 29er.So you have already lost a grand for you start trying to sell it secondhand.Very depressing means people keep bikes for longer and new MTBs sales go down.

njee20
    Free Member

I could swap it I suppose

Unless you wanted to swap for something else similarly undesirable I’m not sure you’ll benefit from that.

ampthill

Almost looking forward to my current bike dying so i can go carbon for the right side of a grand 🙂

br
    Free Member

Almost looking forward to my current bike dying so i can go carbon for the right side of a grand

I was going to buy a new bike after Christmas for my 50th, rather than a new-to-me bike but tbh I just can’t make up my mind what I wanted and it seemed daft to spunk upwards of £4k on a 650B/29er 120/140/150 FS with 1×10/11 etc.

So I bought a s/h carbon FS 26er to go with my HT 26er; and pretty much everything fits both bikes. So I reckon worse case it’ll cost me £200 if I sell it within the year. So easily worth it.

jimw
    Free Member

A friend sold a 2012 EX9.8 26″ with similar spec for £1100 a couple of months ago via ebay

pb2

Apologies it was a 9.0 in bloody good nick

There’s never been an alu 9.8? A 9, or 8, which were vastly cheaper new. The 9.x nomenclature has always been reserved for carbon frames.

njee20
    Free Member

But the 9 was about £2.5k new, so less than half the price of the OP’s. So I’d say he stands to do quite well by that measure…

blw1473
    Free Member

This is all very interesting, I have been looking around and am stunned at the depreciation since the advent of the 650b and 29. What is even more interesting is looking spec for spec on the higher end products they are still using XT and sram equivalent. Add to that they are tending to run 2×10 or other variations it raises the question to me….why am I looking to change… Yes my wheels are smaller, and I have more gearing and my cables are not routed through the frame….My bike comes in at 24lb and I very much doubt it will make no difference to my riding…if nothing else, this thread has made me realise, be thankful for what I have as there will always be the next BIG thing…

nwill1
    Free Member

I read a wheel size comparison today in a mag…back to back testing on a 7k loop of 26″/650b/29″.

Over 7k and 21 minutes there was 30 seconds between the three! (With 26″ being the slowest) Now unless your racing who really gives a shit????

ste_t
    Free Member

But what was that loop?

Depends on what and where you ride Shirley?

pb2

Yep, paid £2,250 for my Trek and the gravity dropper seat post was a carry over from another bike. FWIW I think the seat post added about £70 to the ebay value so £750ish for the standard bike or circa 33% of paid price 4 years ago. Its very much like car depreciation if you ask me.

njee20
    Free Member

FWIW I think the seat post added about £70 to the ebay value

How can you possibly quantify that?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘How much is my Trek fuel E9.9 (2010) carbon worth?’ is closed to new replies.