Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How much is a tiler for the day
  • grubbish
    Free Member

Been quoted £170, reasonable? Don’t think it’ll take a day but apparently that’s his flat rate

jekkyl

depends where you live. 170 a day would be cheap in London, expensive in Wigan! I’m doing loads of building work at the moment and recently paid £150 a day for a guy to lay a floor.

grubbish
    Free Member

In somerset

bearnecessities

Weirdest to price of all the trades in my experience. Paid mine £355 for a day’s work (maybe a few quid in materials) but he came highly recommend and the job he did was truly awesome.

I’d pay that all day long for people to put that effort (10 hours solid) and quality into their work.

Weren’t half bitter about his ex wife though.

tjagain

Mine was £160 a day and his work was great. Thats in Edinburgh. He also only chrged per hour he was actually working. so 160 got me 8 hours work

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’m a tiler and generally don’t work on day rate. I charge £30-35m/2 as a rule but lots of variables dependent upon tile type/size and substrate make up. That includes adhesive/grouts.

If I was forced to day rate then it would be £200/day. I don’t like day rate as any tiler worth his salt should be confident in his pricing, day rate very rarely brings a cheap price in any trade as there’s no incentive to get on with the job.

mikedabear
    Free Member

As above. Tilers charge by the meter, unless your job has not enough meterage to earn a days money. £170 sounds reasonable.

tjagain

Blazin- Saddles – the guy I used normally works on a quoted price for a job and does full bathrooms. He is a friend of a friend and I only wanted him to do the tiling and a few other bits and pieces hence he worked on an hourly rate for me

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

everyone has their own arrangements, what ever works.

I tend to find however that whenever someone asks me how much I charge per hour/day or whatever, they usually think that a m2 price is too much, based on nothing but the feeling it’s too expensive, generally forget to supply the correct materials and expect walls full of tiling in 20 mins.

My M2 price is based on how long my (20 years) experience says the job will take, cost of materials and wear and tear to the cutting tools I need, running costs for the van/business generally, my need to pay TAX and NI, cover holidays/sick and save for a pension. Sometime the job goes south and don’t earn as much as I need, sometimes it goes well and we do very nicely thanks.

tjagain

Aye – folk don’t realise that £20 an hour to the self employed tradesman probably works out at £12-14 per hour gross after you take into account all non chargeable hours ie time spent doing estimates for jobs you don’t get, travel time for those estimates, time spent doing admin etc. and after taxes and pensions maybe £10 an hour

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I reckon I get to keep about £85 of every £200 charged.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How much is a tiler for the day’ is closed to new replies.