Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How much is a set of plugs/leads/coilpack likely to set me back?
  • spooky_b329

My wife’s car has just developed a serious misfire along with the engine management light flashing.

To avoid countless repeat visits to the dealer over the next week, (car is needed) I’m thinking of buying the whole caboodle in one go.

Genuine parts for a Ford 1.6 petrol (2003), can anyone give me a rough idea of costs for:
    Plugs
    HT leads
    Coil pack

Second dealer visit:
    Both Lambda sensors
    Oxygen sensor

Thanks 🙂

orena45

My Astra developed the same fault last week whilst on holiday. Local Vauxhall garage charged me £275 for new coil pack and spark plugs, including a rip off £90 for the diagnostic test.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Spooky , a genuine ford coil pack is around £90 . You can get them from places like GSF etc for a LOT less ..we offer customers the choice ( I work in a Ford workshop and have been there for a LONG time)
    Grab a torch and shine it around the coil pack , you can tell when they’re buggered as they tend to crack along the body when they arc internally .

Don’t leave it too long misfiring like that as it will eventually need a catalytic converter if you do !

andrewh
    Free Member

Plugs should be less than £20, and that’s posh ones like Champion.
    Why the need for genuine parts? No warrenty issues on a 9yr old car.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Mine did the same.

Cool pack was £20-ish.

Really easy job.

spooky_b329

Thanks…prices shouldn’t be too scary then 🙂

Well reading the forums, seems once it starts miss-firing, changing the above will temporarily fix it, then a few hundred miles later it will return and people start changing sensors, then it comes back and they clean the EDC plug, then they sell the car pronto before it comes back again!

Our car has had a long term niggle where it hesitates at low speed/gentle throttle and there are guys that have replaced the leads etc, problem remained, and then replaced with genuine Ford parts and thats fixed it. Also, I’ll end up replacing all the bits, then when the problem comes back I will end up buying genuine bits ‘just in case’!

I tried pulling away in it yesterday and its missfiring so bad it is virtually undrivable. It does an 80 mile round commute each way so if my fix is only temporary it will probably be returning behind an AA van, plus my wife is now on the train (standing room only) everyday and that is costing a fair bit.

Its the 1.6 (sigma?) Duratec as fitted to 2002>2008(?) Fiesta’s, Fusion, Focus. Car is racking up the miles on a long commute with 85k on the clock.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

We rarely replace plugs and leads on the zetec se engine for misfiring , it’s the coil pack most of the time
    I have one myself and is near the 100k mark and still going strong(* leans over to touch table)
    The hesitation could be something simple like an air leak , check the crankcase breather pipes at the inlet manifold as the tend to split .
    Or it could be that the PCM needs an updated calibration file and the fuel parameters resetting ( you’ll be amazed how much it affects the light throttle / cruise)
    Another “be warned” is on rare occasions if the coil pack is really bad it can spike the PCM and bugger it up !

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d go with coil pack gone faulty like others have said.

spooky_b329

It was the coil pack (I assumed it would be as when I pulled the leads off whilst running, two of them made no difference) but it now has a nice new set of plugs (which it needed) and leads anyway. £194 with discount, but its fixed and has avoided x3 70 minute round trips for the various bits, and the wife is happy.

Now just to settle my mind…genuine plugs from the dealer should have the gaps preset, am I correct? Did a Google and there were several hits that said don’t even think about sticking a feeler gauge in there as they are platinum coated and you damage it…so I didn’t.

Marko

Plugs are supplied correctly gapped – the days of adjusting the spark plug gap are long gone. A quick visual check is always worth doing, as I have had plugs with no gap where at some point the box got run over or dropped.

Hth
    Marko

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How much is a set of plugs/leads/coilpack likely to set me back?’ is closed to new replies.