Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • how much for a wheel build?
  • jools182
    Free Member

Just wondering how much I’d pay for a wheel build with black dtswiss comp spokes 32 hole hubs
    Got the rims and hubs, so it would be spokes + labour
    Considering building them myself but not sure how much I would end up saving

takisawa2

Considering the shops going to make nowt off the rims or hub they’ll probably be looking to make more off the build. £25 min, I reckon.

It seems like wheel build season on here at the moment, so why not give it a go…
    Did my first yesterday & its come out good.

eshershore
    Free Member

most shops would charge around £35 labour per wheel (its 45 minutes work) and DT Swiss Comp black spokes (x 32) cost £28.48 and DT brass nipples cost £4.16 for 32

any shops that are doing labour + spokes for £40 are idiots who won’t be in business for long…

RustyMac

Recently charged £25 + spokes for a wheel build, think it came to £90+ for the 2 wheels.

Since then i have bought roger munson’s (wheel pro) guide and am building his stand at the moment. Have found the same bike shop will charge £12.50 for a wheel true and tune up and know i can source spokes cheeper than what i paid from them so i’m definatly giving it a go next time.

I recon with the outlay of the
    guide £9 :- http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php
    spoke key £6 :- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41056
    and getting a couple of bits to make a stand and bodge a nipple driver even if the wheels need to go into the shop to be tuned i’ll break even with the first price.

pdw
    Free Member

Spoke prices seem to vary enormously. Cheapest I could find for small quantities (i.e. less than boxes of 100) were http://www.rosebikes.co.uk in Germany. €17 for 32 black DT Swiss comp spokes, €2 for 40 brass nipples + €5.95 shipping.

+1 for getting the book and DIY. I paid less than £20 for a cheap chipboard shelf and a strip of steel from B&Q, and some black plastic from ebay.

I also splashed out on a dishing tool (£20) but you could do it without.

_tom_
    Free Member

My local charges about £35.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I think I paid £20 per wheel for my last set of wheels…but I think they gave me a few quid off the build as I bought everything from them.

It was money I was happy to pay, especially in hindsight, as the wheels have been absolutely spotty dog.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

we’re £25 a wheel….mechanic went on a 4 day dt swiss course and is very good….plus spokes

RustyMac

That rosebikes site has some good prices, especially if you buy the spokes in bunches of 20 (£7.90) and the nipples in 40’s(£1.79) wich will give you a few spares if you ever break or damage a spoke.

A while back there was a thread about the uk importer of Rose bikes, any one know how that turned out?

pdw
    Free Member

I don’t know about an importer, but Rose had a massive stand at the recent London bike show, and I noticed they are registered for UK VAT (handy for C2W stuff) so I think they’re taking the UK market pretty seriously.

RustyMac

Can anyone recommend good places to buy rims? i am looking for an all mountain enduro type rim arround the 500g mark that is less than £50 a rim, seems almost impossible, beginning to wish i had picked up some ztr flow rims when they were £44 from CRC

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘how much for a wheel build?’ is closed to new replies.