Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • How much energy do the various fridges and freezers use?
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

DO the energy ratings tell you a range of kWh per year each fridge uses. Had a bit of a surf and can't see anything obvious.

I'm fitting out a new kitchen and trying to weigh up if its worth buying A++, A+, A, B etc rated fridges. I'm due to be here for hte next 15 years in this house, so it may be worth spending hte money now. The fridge and freezer look like they will be built in under a counter – not a good start to my energy/money saving attempt!

Off out for a ride for a couple of hours in sunny Cumbria. See you later.

Thanks for looking.

jova54
    Free Member

A good fridge or freezer should last about 15 – 20 years. The ratings are based on power consumption and hence running costs.

Go for the best brand you can afford with the highest rating; you'll save money in the long run and it'll make your green credentials look good.

flatback
    Free Member

as a fridge repair guy for a major store, you will be lucky to get the modern crap to last more than 2 to 3 years, build it in and with heat build up even less fridges are meant to be well ventilated what ever brand you buy,with the new style gases and weak low consumption compressors, the better the rating the warmer the inside of the fridge, in other words they dont use any electricity but they dont keep your food fresh cos they aint cold, i get to go to a house every day with someone saying why does my milk go off, and i reply cos it aont using any electriity
    as for the best brand rubbish, most makes are just cheap crap with a expensive badge on, today called to a 1300 quid fridge with a burnt out light switch it was just a 250 quid model with a fancy name on it
    buy relitively cheep and get a good 5 year warranty and not one of the free warranty with appliances, a good after care warranty
    and avoid frost free freezers there has never been one sold that works yet

flatback
    Free Member

sorry about the spelling/typing cut my hand on a bloody cheap import fridge today

project
    Free Member

I worked for a fridge engineer once,and he said if your freezer is empty it uses more power,so fill it with chiller blocks the blue things or loaves of bread to fill the space.
    Even a top of the range fridge or freezer will rot due to rust on the sides or door,and like above avoid built in fridges or freezers,and if used in a store room fit a small vent axia, to take away the heat.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘How much energy do the various fridges and freezers use?’ is closed to new replies.