Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How much DOT 5.1 to bleed 4 brakes?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Trying to figure out how many millilitres I’ll need to bleed 4 Avid and SRAM brakes. Any advice?

Onzadog
    Free Member

4 bikes or two fronts two rears?

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it’s 4 levers, 250ml should do it if you don’t go spraying it around.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you buy it from a motor factors or Halfords I doubt you can buy a bottle that is too small.

nbt

a 500ml bottle is a few quid from your local motor factors and should last for a dozen bleeds easily

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Cheers. Was looking at the “bike specific” DOT fluid which seems pretty dear at £8 for 120ml. Wouldn’t mind paying for it because I can get it same day, but if it’s not enough then it would be money wasted.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bike specific DOT fluid = snake oil. Just use any standard DOT fluid (not 5 though)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Also, don’t assume 5.1 is better than 4.

My preference is Motul RBF600

ajantom

Cheers. Was looking at the “bike specific” DOT fluid which seems pretty dear at £8 for 120ml. Wouldn’t mind paying for it because I can get it same day, but if it’s not enough then it would be money wasted.

Brake fluid is brake fluid. Don’t buy bike specific stuff, as it’s a monumental rip off.
    – Work out what you want – i.e. 4 or 5.1.
    – Go to a local Halfords (or similar store).
    – Buy a 500ml bottle from the car section.
    – Bleed your brakes.
    – Relax happy in the knowledge you haven’t been ripped off!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

SRAM Guides, so 5.1 or 4 I think.

For sure, I agree the “bike specific” stuff is a rip off. The only saving grace is I can get it delivered to my house same day with Amazon and not have to make a trip. It’s pointless buying a litre of DOT fluid and throwing about 880ml if a 120ml bottle will do what I need it to. Hence trying to figure out how many mls I need! 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How much DOT 5.1 to bleed 4 brakes?’ is closed to new replies.