Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • How much does your rear tyre weigh?
  • tomaso
    Free Member

Simple question really; how much does your rear tyre weigh? And why does that work for you?

900-1200g depending on whether the 900g bagged me 3 punctures on Wednesday night in Grizedale. I hate punctures as they ruin a good downhill and therefore I like dual ply.

wiggles
    Free Member

900ish

But it is 3″ wide.

mttm
    Free Member

640g. Maxxis Ardent 27.5×2.25, run tubeless with a dose if Stan’s at 26psi. Just grippy enough and fast enough.

colournoise

700g. Or 660g depending on which bike I’m riding.

chakaping
    Free Member

About 1kg.

Hans dampf super gravity casing.

Only put a hole in it once, at antur stiniog.

rOcKeTdOg

1760g

mikewsmith
    Free Member

700g for the 2.25 ardent exo, doesn’t seem to suffer under tough conditions tubeless and still going. No need for laggy heavy dual plies

julians
    Free Member

930g spesh slaughter 2.3 27.5

Rolls well,and is tough,but heavy

Tried maxxis ardent race exo recently,but it got ripped to shreds first ride out.

stevied
    Free Member

780g for a DHR2 TR EXO. Works well on the varied conditions on the Malvern Hills.

ferrals
    Free Member

560g apparently (racing Ralph 650b snakeskin)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

210g, gp4000s.

grubbish
    Free Member

Can’t believe people actually know the answer to this question! Who cares! As long as it does the job

Simon

Claimed weight for my rear 26″ Purgatory Control is 685g. Set up tubeless and never punctured.
    Riding mostly the woods and moors of West Yorks with a bit of racing including Enduros at Grizedale and the ‘Ard Rock. I’m 75kg and not that fast!

cloudnine
    Free Member

798.5659565514454477g Give or take a bit

fadda

990g, according to the Schwalbe website.

tomaso
    Free Member

Interested to see what folks chose to ride

superfli
    Free Member

Purg grid 27.5 = 850g
    Front Butcher grid 27.5 = 950g.

Didnt realise the front was so heavy! still, it rides lovely.

Never punctured or ripped any of my 27.5 tyres though (got other brands too), which is a trade off for the weight (14months use).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

900g. I wouldn’t go any lighter tbh.

whitestone
    Free Member

695g according to the manufacturer’s website, 450g according to the standard STW set of scales. 😛

Not had any punctures or other mishaps in the 18 months it’s been there. (running tubeless BTW)

parkesie
    Free Member

Not a clue or a care . Holds air grips the floor job done.

Euro
    Free Member

how much does your rear tyre weigh?

Not really one for weighing things but whatever the old 26″ 2.35 Exo High Rollers weigh. Probably a bit less because it’s fairly worn but then it’s quite dirty so add a bit back on again. If i had to guess i’d say about the same as a packet of new larger penguin biscuits (which was the same as the old packet before they made them smaller but never let on).

And why does that work for you?

Since i started mtbing i’ve almost always had a HR on the back of my bikes. I’m sure there are ‘better’ tyres but i’m not a tyre swapper and am happy with how they work most of the time. It’s only a rear after all. 😀

Euro
    Free Member

whitestone – Member

Not had any punctures or other mishaps in the 18 months it’s been there.

FFS! You never, ever, ever even think those words never mind typing or saying them out loud.

whitestone
    Free Member

@Euro It’s not the 700g of rubber at the back that’s the problem, it’s the 80,000g of blubber that it’s having to support!

Had a puncture last weekend on the CX – had just clocked up 100 miles and got a flat about half a mile from home so walked back. There was a sizeable piece of glass embedded in the tyre.

Daffy

Always less than 550g.

hairyscary

If it’s going to be fast and rocky on the way down then it’s Dual ply tyres front and rear, so about 1250g.
    For everything else Exo protection, so about 800g.

Dual ply tyres are chuffin hard work on the climbs but are worth the extra effort on the descents.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I couldn’t even tell you what make my rear tyre is let alone what it weighs. This works for me because I like things to be uncomplicated.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you tried the super gravity and similar casings hairyscary?

Perfect for fast rocky stuff.

kerley
    Free Member

550g. Any heavier than 600g and it feels like a tank.

brianp
    Free Member

395g 2.1 x 26 Schwalbe Thunder Burt Liteskin.

New Forest (undulating gravel and horse tracks)

Fast and comfortable. No punctures. Grip very well even in poor conditions and don’t hold mud at all. Less absolute grip than a High Roller or even a Rocket Ron but miles faster and I find that more exciting. Wouldn’t ever ride anything that weighed more than 450g ish, but the riding is XC here. Best tyres I’ve ever found for New Forest.

Kryton57

570g Rocket Ron DC. Tough as snakeskin due to same tpi, rolls fast, don’t need the grippy compound on the rear, is half the price of Evo.

Works for me.

teasel
    Free Member

Haven’t weighed it but the packaging claimed 435g.

That’s right – I ride like a slug…

Euro
    Free Member

Had a puncture last weekend on the CX – had just clocked up 100 miles and got a flat about half a mile from home so walked back.

The puncture gods were merely playing with you. Shard is the joker of the bunch and if you’ve already met him, i’d expect Thorn, Snakebite and Slice to make an unwelcome appearance shortly. Soon you will witness their true power. There’s not much you can do to prevent it now, all you can do is be prepared. I just pray your mocking hasn’t woken Blowout!

maxtorque

The same as the front one. ( give or take a bit of mud allowance)

MoreCashThanDash

485g apparently – Continental X King Race Sport 26×2.2. Supposedly has some sort of puncture protection included and has so far survived 60 miles around the recently hedge trimmed local bridleways without, you know, one of those “p” things happening….

The non race Protection version is 570g

poah
    Free Member

couldn’t tell you as I never weighed it.

taxi25
    Free Member

Same as the front 550g rocket ron. Never used heavy tyres, but then I’ve always had xc type bikes.

rp16v
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    485g apparently – Continental X King Race Sport 26×2.2. Supposedly has some sort of puncture protection included and has so far survived 60 miles around the recently hedge trimmed local bridleways without, you know, one of those “p” things happening….
    The non race Protection version is 570g

Running these as a pair seems to be a great all year tyre unless its wet rock then theres an issue

njee20
    Free Member

430g – 29×2″ Thunder Burt. Keep meaning to change to something knobblier, but it’s just worked very well.

woodster

1050g for my 29 WTB Vigilante, I’ll take a weight penalty for tough tyres any day.

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever ridden with any tyres over 600g 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘How much does your rear tyre weigh?’ is closed to new replies.