Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How much does it cost for businesses to send stuff?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I ask as I just bought 5 litres of engine oil online. The price was cheaper than I could buy anywhere else. On top of that was free DHL 24HR delivery. For me to send a parcel like that would probably be at least a tenner. Bearing in mind that oil was 20 quid, how cheap can they send it for?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Big companies, especially the likes of Amazon, don’t pay per parcel – they just agree a ‘fee’ for the year (or whatever the contract is). Saves them sending a poor guy to the post office on a lunchtime with a couple of thousand boxes…

globalti
    Free Member

Airfreight usually costs around £2.50 per kilo.

Seafreight usually costs around £0.11 per kilo.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

smaller companies just buy space in a van/container/whatever

jam-bo

Bearing in mind that oil was 20 quid, how cheap can they send it for?

wrong question. how cheap can they buy it for?

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Airfreight usually costs around £2.50 per kilo.

Seafreight usually costs around £0.11 per kilo.

It depends on the size of the shipment rather than the weight a lot of time.
    For us, for example, bringing in things like wheels is a nightmare as although they weigh very little each box is, volumetrically, quite big and that’s how we are charged.
    Essentially we pay to ship a lot of air!

footflaps

There’s a German outdoor gear company I use called https://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/

for returns, they can print you a shipping label for which they charge £5 (small parcel to Germany in 48hr via Parcel force). Cheapest I can buy that is £10.

So they get a good discount bulk buying,…

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

When I rode from London to Bruges with two mates in May we didn’t want to carry much with us so we shipped a photocopier paper sized box full of overnight clothes etc to the hotel through a mate who is a director of a courier company.

He did it for me at ‘cost’ for £20. Split between three of us that was a bargain.

Locoboy
    Free Member

I send out 300 parcels a week and can’t get a decent discount.
    Up to 30Kg to mainland UK is £6.25 (+VAT)

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I needed to top up the coolant on the car. Got a litre of ready mixed OAT from Euro Car Parts for £1.87 delivered next day.

A great kind of ridiculous.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How much does it cost for businesses to send stuff?’ is closed to new replies.