Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How much do your seatpost + saddle weigh combined?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Last night was considered my lardy rear. Do I eat less chips AND fit a carbon post/svelte saddle? A lighter cassette? Or just get on with it? Bike (Vagabond) always felt somewhat anchorish at the back and light at the front. Having no idea what is a decent weight for post + saddle I plopped them on the digital kitchen scales out of idle interest.

Saddle: Specialized Sonomoa 175mm

Combined weight- approx 778kg

Let’s say 777kg to satisfy numerologists and various weirdies.

Yours?

akira

455g and that’s an aluminium post.

richardthird

380-odd g for carbon post & SLR

Extra 500g+ for the dropper and Ergon going back on. Well worth it.

qwerty
    Free Member

777kg 😯 is it made of gravitanium?

Sandwich

This your kitchen scale OP?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ 😆 Of course I meant 777g . Gah. Coffee was late.

But you lot are making my bike look fat. Apparently the price I pay for all-day comfort is a saddle that weighs over half a kilo.

So, it’s an all-day trekking seat I’m after. C17 carved? May only save 100g there. Phenom Expert? Carbon post? Or just get on with it until have dropped 30lb off my own frame then maybe consider light(er)weight biking options?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Haven’t got a clue of actual weight, but the saddle is 230g and I can’t see the (carbon) post being more than 250g

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I haven’t a clue, I want a saddle that’s comfy and a dropper that works.

Weight isn’t even a consideration tbh.

amedias
    Free Member

depends on the bike….

XC racy/Road thing ~380g
    Traily thing without dropper ~480g
    Traily thing with dropper ~750-800g I guess, not actually sure!
    Touring thing with big leather saddle, who cares when it has KG’s of bags strapped to it!

Some OEM seatposts can be surprisingly boat anchorish, a decent carbon one will be <200g, (and there are some light scandium ones near 150g too), but I once had an OEM Specialized post in one bike that weighed nearly 400g 😯 ,same with saddles too, but I’d only change the saddle if I was happy with the comfort of the replacement, no point saving 200g* but being in agony!

You might find a lighter post is a bit more comfy too though if you get a bit more flex and spring out of it, so it might be a double upgrade in that sense, do you have a particularly fussy bottom when it comes to saddles?

*arguable if it’s worth it at all 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

SLR 135 saddle – ~135 grams

Ritchey wcs carbom pin ~180 grams

How ever that on an xc race bike.

My all day comfort bike

Brooks swift ti 370 and how eternity alloy pin @235 grams

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

do you have a particularly fussy bottom perinium when it comes to saddles?

Yep! I mashed it up pretty well back in the day wearing rucksacks commuting and touring on 1980s-1990s saddles. Has taken me ages to find a saddle-type that I get along with. Generally an older-style Spesh BG for all day, although have managed shorter rides with a Spoon/Flux and medium distance on a Bel Air

onandon
    Free Member

I think the lightest combo I have at the mo is 260 total.
    Heaviest would be 600. Its a very long post on my Dahon folding bike and an SLR 135.

rocketman
    Free Member

SLRs + thomson/carbon on a couple of bikes ~350g tops. Chromag + Thomson dropper on another must weigh the thick end of a kg

The difference is insanely noticeable

jameso

get on with it until have dropped 30lb off my own frame then maybe consider light(er)weight biking options?

I would. If you can afford to lose 30lbs then dropping 10lbs could happen fairly easily and will make a big difference. 200g saving on a saddle + post combo will make zero difference, really. Maybe you’d feel less mass between a Brooks and a carbon SLR when moving the bike around out of the saddle but that’s about it. A comfy saddle is worth a couple hundred extra grams and a crmo rail 320g saddle is fine with me. Post – 250-300g is normal, could use a carbon one but I wouldn’t bother for a bike that has a seat pack / bag fitted and gets ridden in the mud + grit. They can be a bit comfier tho.

A vagabond will never be a weenie-light bike, no need either. Tune up the engine, the power:weight benefits there can be huge.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Road and XC bikes have sub 200g posts + SLR 135 saddle on, so around 310-330g combined

The big bike is Reverb + SLR, so a good chunk more, but the function of the Reverb very much offsets the weight

Dickyboy

Vagabond you say – whatever you do don’t weigh the frame and forks – 775kg will then seem the least of your worries 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

~700g for the default Wazoo post and saddle, no idea on the new Cube.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How much do your seatpost + saddle weigh combined?’ is closed to new replies.