Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • How much £/$ do you think you have spent on cycling in your life?
  • stevenc
    Free Member

Best guess is some where between 15-20 grand. So a lot. But in my estimation I’d say well worth it.

Steve77
    Free Member

Thankfully Chainreaction only shows my total number of orders (a modest 28) and not the total spend

teamslug
    Free Member

Been at it since mid 90’s but after a relatively low £ start i got divorced 9 years ago and my total must now be approaching £50k gross…obviously sold alot of gear on( most of my mates ride my old bikes). That doesn’t include costs for fuel getting all over country….never regretted any of it or wished I’d spent it anything else….46 y.o and in the best shape of my life…priceless

MSP

I budget about 500 a month, after home and car, its by far my biggest outlay.

airbus387
    Free Member

Easy dont want to think about it.1st race was when i was 12 now 49 god knows how many bikes and stuff i have went thru dont want to think how much i have spent or mum and dad did till i was 20

ampthill

Well bikes is under £4000 in 46 years!! Although i ride less than many here

trips…

One Major major bargain

In 1994 My Girl friend and i did 9 months away for about £4000 each
    . I think we went with about £1k round the world ticket,£1k for extras and $10 a day to live on. So for under £20 per day we

Started living out of a mates flat in Boulder Colorado for 3 months for 6 weeks we rented a Cheroke for about $500. We climbed in the desert, Colorado and yosemite. Road loads of classic Colorado and Moab day rides. Did a 18 day off road tour in Colorado and road the White Rim trail. I think we did 2 back packing trips as well.

The we went to NZ. We road the length of the South Island. We also squeezed in 3 multi day canoe trips (2 sea 1 river) and 3 brilliant and scary back packing trips (one needed a float plane for access)..

The 2 weeks after that we climbed OZ the a bit of site seeing in India about 40 days treking in Nepal

america0023.jpg by John Clinch, on Flickr

america0018.jpg by John Clinch, on Flickr

america0042.jpg by John Clinch, on Flickr

North America by John Clinch, on Flickr

NZ by John Clinch, on Flickr

North America-3 by John Clinch, on Flickr

North America-4 by John Clinch, on Flickr

North America-5 by John Clinch, on Flickr

North America-2-2 by John Clinch, on Flickr

8 weeks of Touring holidays in Europe say £3000

repairs and replacing bits £2000 (I’ve never ugraded anything)

cloths no idea, £1000 max for all cycle clothing and something towards fleeces and cags

round it all upto £15000 (under a £1 a day)

I note my round the world trip cost less per day then some spend on bikes at home

I currently own a Fuel ex. So I feel I’m doing well on the value…

butterworth24
    Free Member

Probably nearing £2000 or just over. Sounds alright, but I’m only 16 😕

stevewhyte
    Free Member

In the last 40 years, nothing like as much as I intend to over the next 40 that’s for sure.

robsoctane
    Free Member

about 20 years of riding, 5 significant bikes, say 20k between those. Take clothes, upgrades, lights etc… 40k all in. Not too bad considering. Hmm, maybe about 2k in last 6 months just on bits!

Love bikes, me 😉

khani
    Free Member

LALALALALAidontwanttoknowLALALALALALALA!!…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably nearing £2000 or just over. Sounds alright, but I’m only 16

That’s more than I’d spent, I think most people find ways of making it cheep during collage and uni, stuff like buying bikes off ebay when student loan comes in, then stripping them, selling the bits and keeping a few things for effectively free. I did that 3 or 4 times and that’s how i afforded upgrades, any profit paid for drivetrains etc.

Then once uni was over I got lazy and may as well just have my paycheck sent straight to CRC. I still generaly only buy bargains but they’re new. Like Funn XLrator rims for £16 each rather than stans flows which weigh exactly the same and come from the same factory (not the same rim though).

falkirk-mark

probably £10,000 since 1991 (10 year not really mtbing) which includes 6 bikes and some spares, never sold any parts AFAIR(1 bike sold years ago) so still have most of them. Not included is cash spent on holidays and travelling to trails.

Northwind

Too much. Not enough.

enigmas
    Free Member

hmm, probably a little over 3k, and im only 17, hell i had a crash a couple of weeks ago and needed to buy a :
    new chain,
    cassette and cranks (turned out to be the same price as chainrings somehow!) to go with said chain as they were so worn,
    seatpost,
    saddle,
    jersey
    and £20 for my lbs to make my wheels round again and bend the rear mech hanger back into place
    nearly £300 gone just because my chain snapped coming out of a bombhole and i fell straight back in 😀

I’m glad im an apprentice so i can fund this (and so are my parents!)

slimjim78
    Free Member

£11,562.35

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’m intrigued as to why you would need a £500 monthly budget for cycling?

RustySpanner

Less than six grand on gear, over 43 years, not including the Jelly Babies.

So about ten grand in total. 😐

cinnamon_girl

I really don’t want to think about it. 😳

cinnamon_girl

I really don’t want to think about it. 😳

stevego
    Free Member

We got rid of our second car, the old banger (drove it to the wreckers, it only just made it and died on the forecourt). Instead of investing in another car, decided to live with one and stop the kids doing anything we had to drive them to after school. I reckon I easily spend more on bikes than registering, insuring and repairing the old banger. It has committed me to cycling to work though come rain, hail or shine. Dont’ want o think what I spend per year, my wife might try to sell me (and the bikes).

On a side note, when I bought my garmin from the bike shop, the bloke there asked me how much I wanted put on teh reciept, apparently alot of blokes (for some reason it is only the men) ask for a much lower amount on the reciept they will show the wife so she won’t realise how much they spend on thier toys.

metalheart
    Free Member

Hmm, in the last 5 years alone I’ve had a Soul, Motolite, VF2, Soda, Solaris and now a Rocket.

Only the Soul & Rocket atm, oh and 29er wheels/forks (waiting on a green Solaris frame….). Plus the usual spare handlebars, pedals, used mechs, etc.

BITD I used to spend approx a grand a year on *upgrades* be that new forks or frame… 15 years ago I worked out I’d spent at least £20k on bikes. If you add in all the incidentals (two trips to Colorado for instance, two Jedi sessions, etc.) then easy £50k+.

But then only climbing has come remotely close to being as much enjoyment, fun & passion.

I know people who have spent more than the above on going out on the lash of a weekend…

khani
    Free Member

I like to think that because I don’t stuff my money up my nose…piss it up the wall or run a silly expensive car.. it’s all ok..
    But I still don’t like looking at the numbersLALALALALALALA!!!…..

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘How much £/$ do you think you have spent on cycling in your life?’ is closed to new replies.