Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • How much do you spend on your kids bikes, and how often do they ride?
  • peabrain
    Free Member

You’ve reminded me of when my 2 year old had 4 bikes… 😳

1 small balance bike, 1 small crap pedal bike, 1 bigger balance bike and 1 slightly bigger less crap pedal bike.

The worst thing was whenever we went anywhere with bikes I would insist on taking both balance bikes and a pedal bike. On one great occasion I ended up with a very tired toddler and had to carry 3 bikes and said tired toddler for a kilometre back to the car park. wtf was I thinking

jonathan
    Free Member

LOL @ Peabrain 🙂

Worst I’ve done is lug bikes around on the back of the trailer and never end up actually taking them off!

smurf
    Free Member

Great thread!

I’d really appreciate leads / recommendations on decent pads, gloves and shorts.

To answer the original question, I’ve 2 girls, both of whom have ridden on LOCT seats with me, both on and off road, ride most days a little around the garden / driveway when they get home from school etc. The oldest (6) has started to do longer rides with me more recently.

Both started on the same Rothan, then my M&D bought a Halfords special, which the eldest got the hang of quite quickly. She’s now on a 2nd hand 20″ Isla benin but growing fast so will probably be on a 24″ bikes next summer / autumn.

Youngest (4yrs) is now jumping between the Rothan and the Halfords bike (14″ wheels I think). She’s got a 2nd hand 16″ Isla bike waiting in the garage. I’m hoping she will migrate to that v soon so I can ebay the Rothan in time for Christmas. I plumped for 2nd hand Isla’s on the basis I should loose relatively little when I sell on and it gives them something to use day to day rather than the trail bikes…..

….hopefully this weekend will see me start to build a 20″ full suspension bike for my oldest. I’ve not added up how much it’s cost, but it’s a lot more than I guestimated when I started. For example, the only option I could find to replace the broken rear shock was a semi-custom built, US made shock which was about £200. Forks were £150ish…. most of the parts are spares box / second hand / ebay items though. Of course, I could have started with a £150 – £300 second hand hardtail, but I only paid £78 for the original (2nd hand) bike and I fancied a project / challenge.

I justify the man maths involved on the basis that (i) I can afford it (ii) it will give her the best shot of enjoying the trails I would like to ride with her over time / if they girls like riding I will be able to hugely increase the time I get to ride (iii) I’ve tried to save on items that have little value beyond the 20″ bike, but spend money on items that will (hopefully) move from bike to bike to bike. E.g. the full cockpit, transmission, hubs, fork (I’ve had a 24″ wheel fork reduced to work with 20″ wheels, but so it can be reversed back to 24″ use easily), headset, mechs etc etc will all be moved up to a bigger bike. The younger one will also hopefully use it when the oldest moves to a 24″ or 26″ wheeled bike.

If it gathers dust then I should get a high % of what I’ve spent if I sell the parts (fingers crossed).

Time will tell how it all works out!

peabrain
    Free Member

You’ll be needing this Facebook page then, smurf

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘How much do you spend on your kids bikes, and how often do they ride?’ is closed to new replies.