Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • How much do you pay for broadband?
  • SammyC
    Free Member

200mb broadband, all the TV channels, TiVo, and a phone line. £32 a month with virgin.

Had to start the leaving process to get that and it runs out in December so will have to go through it all again then I suspect.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Feeling quite smug as just signed up to BT Infinity for £32/month with £150 pre-paid credit card reward thingy, £25 M&S voucher and £95 on Top Cash Back 8)

somafunk

I pay EE broadband upfront for 12 months line rental at £170 (approx) and i get charged a £1 (or so) per month, that’s for unlimited broadband and free evening/weekend calls but as i don’t have a landline phone that freebie is pretty useless.

I’ve just ran Broadband Speed Checker and it says i have a download speed of 17.38 Mb/s and upload of 1.3 Mb/s, that sounds like a crock of shite to me as tv shows/movies regularly buffer if i try to watch anything and if i try and upload a few pics to flickr (for example) my alexa connection for tune-in radio stops and i can’t load any new pages/search requests till flickr has done it’s thing, we do recently have fibre in this area but it costs £40 a month + line rental so that’s just taking the utter piss.

footflaps

And a letter just popped through the door today from Virgin saying my bill is going up by £1.99 in November. That’s 2.5x the rate of inflation.

mav12
    Free Member

just signed with virgin £32. per. month tv phone bb. 100 meg d/l

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Nothing*
    *work for a telecoms company

Does HMRC know about that? BIK?

sadexpunk

£22 for 75Mb virgin media. another case of actually cancelling (and meaning it) every year when they jack it up, only for them to ring back and give us another deal.

ChrisE
    Free Member

I currently pay £90 a year for 25Mbps from our Austwick Community Broadband which is run by volunteers and is fantastic. We are just winding it up though at Christmas (after 15 years) as we have just completed the community digging of fibre around the valley so in 4 weeks we will be live on B4RN which is £22 a month (I think) for 1000Mbps. But there again you tax payers have helped fund that!!! Community schemes are definitely the way to go. //#smug/.

C

SammyC
    Free Member

Yep, just had a letter from Virgin saying ours is going up £3.99 a month. I wonder if the amount it goes up is proportional to your bill, ours should be £75 a month for what we get.

Jamie
    Free Member

I got an email about the changes. £3.99 increase. Assume I’ll get a letter as well.

On the mix bundle, 100mb/v6 box/basic HD channels, but price rise won’t kick in till initial year promo offer is up apparently. Currently paying £35 a month. Really only wanted broadband, but they were asking £33 for that on is own. All BT options not really viable as no BT line. Probably give it the year then cancel, as no real decent options out there, so will just haggle with Virgin.

Alex

We live over 2.5km from the exchange. Speed was 2mb when we arrived nearly 10 years ago, and is now about 5 on a good day as many of the overhead cables have been replaced. So we can watch streaming TV etc (and not have two teenage kids complain endlessly about ‘media poverty’) we run two lines and an aggregation service.

That’s about £75 a month and it has a 250GB cap which we always breach and that’s another tenner. So I read some of the responses in this thread and cry a bit 😉

We are getting fibre tho. Probably a year away. The prospect of 40 meg synchronous for £40 is something I’m really looking forward too! We also looked at community options but as it’s a few houses then a gap then a few more, it never really was a flier.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I also got the email from Virgin telling me it’s going up by £3.99, I took the opportunity to cancel although I’m now wondering what to do for decent internet as Virgin is very fast, not even the Gif thread bothers it 😉
    Looking around BT seems the best VFM but I have no idea where of if I have a line 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s the problem. Virgin doesn’t really have a viable alternative due to BT being…well…BT.

Your best bet is to play the ‘I am cancelling due to the price rises, but I’ll stay if you can do a better deal…wink wink’ game.

As a new customer, I am in the odd position of getting the price rise, but it not hitting till my first year ends next May or so. So can just cancel/haggle when my year is up.

Flaperon

£37/month for EE’s fastest fibre, including line rental and an extra 5GB of data for the phone.

joebristol

Virgin just putting the price up yet again – by £3.99 a month. Hadn’t paid much attention to how much we’re paying a month but just checked and it’s ridiculous.

All we have is the XL TV package, with broadband and a phone line. Don’t even have a phone plugged into the phone line – it was just cheaper to have it as part of the package when we originally got it. Looks like we’ll be paying £74 a month when the price increase kicks in. Need to work out how to get that down – only issue is broadband speed for working from home – bt etc always list our road as not having fibre in it.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

£28 a month for line rental and 52meg BT infinity on a 12 month contract.

Less:
    Cashback card £125
    Top cashback £80
    Credits for failure to supply the service for the first month and 4 missed engineers appointments in a row £69

And small claims court payout on the way for my lost wages which is what you get for missing 4 appointments and offering £10 compensation to the customer and telling them they should be glad you’re so generous.

So by the time we’re done Bt will have paid me around £200 to have their broadband for a year 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Timely.

I’ve just (in the last 10 mins) gone with EE for 18 months at £19 p/m for unlimited 38mb fibre broadband and weekend calls. This includes the net of line rental/up front payments/cash back etc.

That seems to be a pretty good deal. Shame I couldn’t unpick the phone call bit as we (like the rest of the planet?) use our bat phones so don’t need it.

cheers_drive

Just got off the phone from the Virgin retention team, Uprgraded to 100mb and new Superhub for £33.
    I nearly cut off my nose to spite my face as I hate having to play the game and that companies reward new customers more than loyal existing ones.

footflaps

Uprgraded to 100mb and new Superhub for £33.

Apparently we are being upgraded to 100Mb/s (from 50Mb/s) as part of the £1.99 price rise, which will bring us up to £35.47 / month.

cinnamon_girl

Just changed provider thanks to MSE’s new gizmo, broadband and weekend calls with JL will mean a saving of £14.50 per month compared with Sky. £22.50 per month sounds good.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

A little update from me. I got a call from Virgin today & I have settled on 50Mbps BB, XL TV so I can keep BT sport, 2 boxes & phone line for £52.50, quite happy with that but sad I had to go through the termination process to get there.

Cheers.

cheers_drive

Speedy

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘How much do you pay for broadband?’ is closed to new replies.