Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • How much do you hate your job? If indeed you do.
  • thered

I only ask cos I despise mine with a passion. Zero support from above, no assistance fixing the many issues, limited time off, constantly being contacted on that time off by people asking stupid questions or trying to get me to sort their mistakes.

Time to be off methinks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

did I work with you?

I did now I work much closer to the top of an organisation (and coincidentally the bottom) not enough people to blame and dodge stuff and only 2.5 days per week.

Change is good.

ton

dont hate it, bored with it tho. 😐

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grum
    Free Member

Life’s too short to be spending so much time doing something that makes you miserable. I really like my job (well both my ‘jobs’). There will always be issues and niggles and to some extent the grass is always greener, but overall I’m very happy with what I do.

I quit a full time ‘proper’ (but shit) job just after getting a mortgage and went back to Uni to do something creative. I don’t earn loads but its very fulfilling. Sometimes the idea that I’m getting paid to do some of the things I get to do seems ridiculous – eg perform on the main stage at Manchester Jazz Festival wearing all my DH gear including full-face helmet. 😀

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Love mine, occasionally clients make me want to do them great harm, but on the whole it beats the shit out of working (by which I mean what my parents & their generation did for a job – steelworks/pit.)

jota180
    Free Member

Totally bored with mine but it pays too much and gives me too many holidays and other benefits to easily replace it.

TheFlyingOx

Actually quite like my current job, decent pay, decent prospects, decent folk. However, we’ve been put into a life situation where we can either properly tighten the beltstraps and scrimp and save and make do for the next 10 years, or sell my soul and sod off abroad chasing a bigger bottom line. I’m not happy about it at all.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I have conflicting emotions about my job…. I shouldn’t because it’s a really good role and I’m lucky, but do get bored when I’m not busy.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Run my own ship so it’s both ball ache and brilliant I can find myself doing a ride over dartmoor on empty midweek roads as much as I can find myself working till 11pm, the staff are shite and I never get find it easy to make time off for holidays…The plus side is my office is at home and I can see my daughter all day everyday 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

i love my job, i’m amazed people choose to spend 40-60 hours a week doing something they detest especially when then they justify it with fleeting transitory periods of enjoyment like the time spent sat in traffic in their expensive car they adore or the 2 weeks holiday they are allowed to have. (and then having had that holiday having to face the realisation that there is no more time off until the next year)

fasthaggis

I have always been lucky enough to have jobs that I loved doing,I never,ever take this for granted .

As grum says

Life’s too short to be spending so much time doing something that makes you miserable

🙂

Torminalis
    Free Member

Love it. Self employed FTW.

freddyg
    Free Member

MrSmith – Have we met? 😥

passtherizla
    Free Member

Millions of people do stuff that they hate for work… its hardly amazing, it’s the minority that actually enjoy work. If you do enjoy working as I do then you are one of the lucky ones.

FuzzyWuzzy

Bored of mine for sure, don’t have the balls or skills to jack it in and try something else (there aren’t many jobs I think I’d enjoy anyway, I guess I’m just lazy :p ).

warton
    Free Member

My new year resolution was to not hate it. I’m doing OK, but I need a promotion this year, otherwise I’m off

labsey
    Free Member

I guess I’m one of the lucky ones. I like my job. The people make the place great and the role itself is challenging enough to be interesting. Plus it’s just off the TPT which makes commuting fun.

That said, I am on the job hunt because as much as I enjoy this place; it doesn’t have the opportunity to do what I want long term. Swings and roundabouts eh?

bernard
    Free Member

Looking back on my job the time I did not mind it was when I worked with a pretty good team and boss the rest of the time I hated it which I can pin down (in hindsight) to specific people I disliked usually machiavellian types. I gave it all up in the end to look after the kids and I’m much happier. Currently considering a way to earn a bit of money when number 2 son goes to school next sept, need a job that fits in with school times so it looks like I will have to work for myself doing something

spawnofyorkshire

bored stiff in mine. It’s not challenging, boss is a tool, been promised a bump in grade for 18 months that’s not materialised, HR are rubbish and won’t support anyone
    currently looking elsewhere!

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Not keen on mine but it pays ok and get good benefits. My dad always said the they don’t pay you to enjoy it, if you did you’d be paying them! He’s been self employed for most of his life 😆

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Hated my job for about the last twelve months, the previous thirty six years had good and bad times, mostly ok though.

Just over a year before I am fifty five and can retire so will put up with it for now, had I been younger would defintely be looking elsewhere

footflaps

I have conflicting emotions about my job…. I shouldn’t because it’s a really good role and I’m lucky, but do get bored when I’m not busy.

+1

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

really like mine – awesome technology, wide range of people (some dicks, some good, like anywhere), plenty variety mostly interesting and challenging, decent money, but not out and about as much as I used to be, still out of the office on a regular basis though

patriotpro
    Free Member

ton – Member
    dont hate it, bored with it tho.

Same here.

stewartc
    Free Member

Very bored with mine and struggling to bring myself round to be constructive to change this

LMT
    Free Member

Frustrated is best word for mine at the moment, pay is ok, but the seniors above me keep doing stupid things like this week all line managers on late shifts except 1 to run the shop in the morning, so any social life or plans out the window.

Currently we have no overtime, no hours for holiday cover and constant beatings for issues we can’t fix due to the above!!

ton

getting paid to sit talking boolax on here most day’s…….could be worse i suppose tho, eh 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

I spent a while hating my current job, but it’s actually quite undemanding and low stress mostly so I can tolerate it fine – esp as I am on a 3-day week for now.

I’ve hated previous jobs though.

alpin
    Free Member

Self employed chippy/joiner here.

quite enjoy it. most of the lads/lasses that i deal with are ok and even if they are a bit of a twunt then i know i’ll only have to work alongside them for the duration of the job.

have worked the last 20 days with one day off, something like hours 250 hours. i’m now taking a week off, have a small job at the end of the week and will be relaxing for the rest of February.

no boss. as much holiday as i can afford. get to work on some interesting and varied projects. don’t know if i will be doing this till i retire, but i don’t intend on retiring at 65, either.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Lets put it this way, my new years resolution was to find a new job.

Don’t usually make them, but this year I AM STICKING TO IT.

Life’s too short to be spending so much time doing something that makes you miserable

NSS 😀

atlaz
    Free Member

My last job I enjoyed the work but hated where I did it due to the overall atmosphere created by the CEO. Colleagues were great but it very much felt like you were all surviving together against him rather than everyone trying to work to make the company better. I’ve relocated somewhere else and do more or less the same job just in a company of reasonable human beings so am pretty happy now though.

My main issue when I got to hate my last job was that I started to not care about doing it well. Once you’re at that stage you should definitely be moving on.

buck53

I try not to hate anything but I certainly don’t enjoy my job.

No challenge, not in an area that interests me, can’t really relate to a lot of my colleagues, who are older than me or ‘Eastenders and the pub’ types.

I hope to be retraining in September.

shooterman

I am slowly realising I don’t like my whole line of work, not just the job.

andyrm
    Free Member

I actually like my job – a lot.

Sure there are a couple of individuals who can be hard work (either through bad attitude, laziness or lack of ability), but you can manage that. And the odd arsey client escalation, but other than that, it’s damn good.

I’m firmly of the belief that a good 60% or more of “hating your job” is self created. If you are prepared to be positive, carry yourself well, push, take on more responsibility, “build” your own role by proactively taking on more, you’ll feel more fulfilled, get less sh*t from bosses as you stand out from the grunts and generally feel better about work.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’m firmly of the belief that a good 60% or more of “hating your job” is self created. If you are prepared to be positive, carry yourself well, push, take on more responsibility, “build” your own role by proactively taking on more, you’ll feel more fulfilled, get less sh*t from bosses as you stand out from the grunts and generally feel better about work.

Don’t agree. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can’t. If it makes you feel better, awesome but the only way to fix the hate for my last job was to leave it. Colleagues still there still have the same problems and all of them acknowledge that leaving is the only way to fix it (short of a hitman).

ononeorange

Conflicting emotions here too. On the plus side it is interesting, I really like meeting clients and getting involved in their businesses, there’s a degree of responsibility, it’s a challenge and I like the people I work with. On the downside it is all-consuming – leave home at 6am, never home before 8pm onwards and then usually have to try to work things out. I try to keep my weekends for us as much as I can. It also is high pressure and any mistakes don’t wash.

To answer the point above, why would you do what you do, for me I have no choice. A sizeable mortgage and realise that I am essentially unemployable elsewhere owing to age and narrow skill base.

mavisto
    Free Member

Hate mine.

Bored with the work (hasn’t really changed at all in the last 5 years).
    No chance of any promotion (dead mens shoes)
    Crap pay (Degree, MSc less than I was on 12 years ago working in IT)

Went for an interview yesterday. Even though it’s not perfect, if they offer more money I’ll take it because I just want out. If I don’t get out soon I’ll be here for another 10 years with even less prospects.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

post deleted – far too negative

If you don’t like something either take steps to change it or stop moaning. I’m stopping moaning. (for a few minutes anyway)

thered

Papa-Lazarou – I’ve improved this business no end in 6 months even if I do say so myself but they continue to heap tasks upon me and offer no support because they are too cheap to do what’s necessary and it’s gone too far.

I’ve ridden my bike once in 7 weeks and cannot escape the idiot questions even on my day off without leaving the country so i am doing something about it. They won’t change what they’re doing so i will change what I’m doing.

alex222
    Free Member

Loads but I hand my notice in tomorrow.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘How much do you hate your job? If indeed you do.’ is closed to new replies.