Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • How much do you contribute to your kids' university costs?
  • bol

My eldest has just started 6th form, but a friend has just been talking to me about her daughter’s university loans/fees/rent etc and the penny has just dropped for me that they can’t just borrow as much as they need.

I’ve done the online calculation and it looks like ours will be able to borrow fees plus about £3.5k per year via the student loan scheme – but rent is likely to be £5k per year, and then there’s food, clothes, going out etc. I expect that she’ll get a job, but it would be sad if she spent all her time earning and didn’t have time for study or having fun.

I’ve already resigned myself to not having much disposable income for the next few years, but how much do those of you with kids are uni contribute to their rent and living costs?

TiRed

£330 a month for 10 months is needed plus standard load and fees, to take income to the recommended level.

Teen1 works over the summer holiday, but I don’t agree with working during term time.

Ours are staggered, so w will only be paying for one at a time. Except the second wants to be a pilot. You think university is expensive 😮

bol

Yes, ours we staggered too, thankfully. £330 a month doesn’t sound so bad, but that still doesn’t seem to add up when rent is included? I know what you mean about working in term time. I only ever worked in holidays – but then I had no fees, got a grant and my rent was £100 a month. It’s such a different world from 25 years ago.

Cletus

I started a similar thread a couple of months ago.
    Link

My son’s loan covers his non-catered halls accommodation with a few quid to spare. I give him £60 per week and pay his phone contract (£44 per month).

I think that is pretty generous but he seems to be spending it all. I did consider giving him a lump sum each term but after some thought decided a weekly payment would be less stressful.

I did give him a few hundred quid to kit himself out and buy books as well.

Overall probably too generous but we can afford it at the moment.

tinribz
    Free Member

income to the recommended level

How is that calculated?

Also, presumably students only stay in the luxury 5k halls for the first year.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘How much do you contribute to your kids' university costs?’ is closed to new replies.