Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How much difference to stiff bike shoes make?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

I think stiffer shoes will make my feet more comfortable on longer road rides as I get pressure on the balls of my feet; I see carbon road shoes for as much as £200 – can pay more I'm sure. I'm sure they're for serious roadies only but how much improvement do they make over the shoes I have now with rather plastic looking soles? I think they were middish price from a few years ago – Shimano 097B:

large418
    Free Member

I have 2 pairs of bike shoes – some Spesh Tahoe, which are a do it all shoe, easy to walk in with a flexy sole, and some Spesh BG Pro race shoes with a rigid sole that are difficult to walk in. I think that the BG Pro (stiff shoes) are great to ride in – it always seems so much more efficient and smooth to ride in them, whereas the Tahoes are my commuter shoe and it always feels a bit sluggish when I ride in them. So, based on my experience I would say that a stiff shoe will help you enjoy the riding more, but if you walk loads then avoid.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I switched to stiff shoes for the very reason you describe. Made a huge difference for the better.

njee20
    Free Member

As we're talking road there shouldn't really be any walking done.

There are a number of advantages of going to carbon soled shoes: stiffness, which you almost certainly will notice, lighter weight and a thinner sole, so your foot's closer to the axle.

I'd say expensive shoes are well worth having, it's an often overlooked piece of kit! I've got some S-Works road shoes, and they're great. There's a new S-Works for 2010, which may mean 09 ones go 'cheap'.

mudshark
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice here. I bought a pair of Specialized BG Pro Road Shoes and went out for a good ride yesterday, not only were my feet more comfortable but I did feel more solidly connected to the pedals.

jonb
    Free Member

I can't imagine there'd be a great deal of difference in the stiffness that you'd notice (to counter everybody here). You would notice a difference in the mountain biking shoes that are almost trainers but not between plastic and carbon. My plastic shimano road shoes have no flex. I think the difference will be in the weight (not only form the sole but also carbon road shoes will be much higher spec.

If you have run out of options or fancy new shoes go for it but I think there will be other changes to make that would offer better value. Normally tyres is the biggest followed by weight saving, ignoring any personal improvements that are possible. I wouldn't put money on new shoes making you a better rider unless you are Paolo Nutini.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I wouldn't put money on new shoes making you a better rider unless you are Paolo Nutini.

The scottish singer?

Or Bettini, the world champion?

Oh! and my Carbon soled shoes were £50
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9497

druidh
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

11.3%

paulosoxo
    Free Member

AH!

🙂

like it

mudshark
    Free Member

jonb – they made a huge difference to the comfort of my right foot which is all I really wanted.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How much difference to stiff bike shoes make?’ is closed to new replies.