Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How much counts? Either distance or time?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Had an idea to try and be on a bike every day this year. Question is, what counts? I could just sion one in the garage but that sounds like cheating, so how far perpetuity how long for it to count?

Just wondering as I’ve still got man flu but don’t want to fall at the first hurdle.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

An hour I reckon.

crazy-legs

An hour a day is the “benchmark”. That’s a continuous hour, not 30 mins to work then 30 mins home.

Good luck!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I didn’t mean how long for fitness benefits. I know that ship has sailed, more that I can just say I’d been on the bike every day. There’s no way I could manage an hour today! Not without dying anyway.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

10 minutes

maxray
    Free Member

Was going to do this but what with cooking a roast for my sister and family I’m going to struggle. .. Fails at first hurdle!

Onzadog
    Free Member

See, if we could all agree on something, be it ten minutes or one mile then there’s hope for the likes of me and maxray.

spock
    Free Member

20 minutes i reckon, enough to stretch the legs, realistically an hour each day would be difficult i reckon

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Ooow now that’s a good question. OT but I had same same quandary a few years ago re running – my hypothesis was ‘Does running over mountains equate/produce same levels of endurance as running for same time on roads’.

Answer = No,you can’t ‘bluff’ mileage.

Evidence = I died after 12miles or so on IM UK one year.

As the ratio of walk/run biased ever more in favour of the numerator, the painful blade of error cut deeply into the flesh of my incompetence 😯

Yes, I’m over it 🙄

:mrgreen:

M6TTF
    Free Member

If yu can fit an hour a day in then you must be single with no kids!

fily5bellies
    Free Member

Or determined – plenty of people with kids train that much and longer. You need to get out of the “I can’t do it because…..” mentality.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I should point out that I’m not saying you should do an hour a day, just that I wouldn’t consider a bike ride a true “bike ride” if it was less than an hour. Dunno why.

uplink
    Free Member

Married with 4 kids & easily manage an hour [or longer] exercising per day
    Usually do it before anyone else gets up

beej

I also think about an hour, though if you’re doing intervals 30 minutes can be plenty.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Married with 4 kids & easily manage an hour [or longer] exercising per day
    Usually do it before anyone else gets up

my sons usually up at 5.30am so no time in the morning, and i don’t normally get in from work til 7. By the time we’ve got jnr in bed and then eaten it’s 8pm so I Suppose that’s the time I could go but I find it hard to sleep if I exercise before bed

BigJohn

I did an hour, minimum, each day for 50 days in May & June. It actually worked out at an average of 90 mins with rides at weekends etc.

It was hard to fit it in to a normal life and I got to really needing a day off. I suppose it helped my base fitness, but I’m not going to do it again.

Edric64
    Free Member

Quality counts an hours pootle will do little good compared with a 22 minute 10 mile tt.

MrOvershoot

Was going to say when I get the chance to ride to work the 1/2 hour to the station can be pretty intense, lets put it this way there is usually steam rising off me on the platform. Much the same on the way home, and its even better if you find someone to race 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How much counts? Either distance or time?’ is closed to new replies.