Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How much confidence do you have in the Garmin mount
  • jmenorton
    Free Member

Hi everyone, i have a Garmin Edge 800, that i use mostly on the road bike, and wondered if anyone has had any issues with them flying out of the mount on rocky mtb rides, dont want to find myself holding back due to worrying about the Garmin.

flatfish
    Free Member

My garmin mount has been fine for the oregon 450 but I think its a different mount to yours.
    Not much help.

mintimperial

I’ve got an Edge 800. I properly walloped mine once and one band snapped, but the other one held things together well enough until I could stop and sort things out properly. Keep an eye on the bands though, they do wear out eventually.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Edge 800 and did the 200 miles wales c2c, the mount seems fine 🙂

Wookster

Numerous stacks including ne that killed the gps but the mount is fine, as good as the garmin service in fact!

jmenorton
    Free Member

Good to know, How sympathetic are Garmin, if the unit gets damaged on a ride.

jota180
    Free Member

On my Dakota I use a lanyard tied to the stem or bars as a backup

euain

Garmin 800 and previously 500 mounts (it’s the same mount) have been fine on everything I’ve thrown at them – including Fort William red downhill, countless laggans and hundreds of miles of other trails (Strathpuffer twice in that). Never had a problem with it.

In terms of damage – Garmin do a replacement scheme. My wife’s Edge 500 had a bleed in the screen and was well out of warranty. It was something like £75 to get it replaced – we sent in the unit and had a brand new (well might have been reconditioned but in a new box etc. and spotless) unit back in a couple of days. I thought that was pretty good service.

jmenorton
    Free Member

For £40 id be worried about damaging that, never mind the Garmin. Looks pretty exposed extended from the bars like that aswell.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

The mount is the best bit of the package! I’ve got 1 mount that outlasted the edge itself! Welsh grit killed the garmin, but the mount is still going strong 🙂

bigG
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the k-edge mounts, holds the garmin in a much better position than the standard mount in my opinion. It’s rock solid and the 800 unit is a good secure fit into it. On the road bike the unit is well back from the most forward point on the brake levers. I can’t think of anyway that it would get a direct impact. I wouldnt fit one to my MTB though. If you’re not in a hurry I can post pics of it when I get home at the weekend.

Great bit of kit IMHO, although was a nightmare to get, ordered it in July and got it late August.

druidh
    Free Member

Garmin are doing their own “forward” mount now too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How much confidence do you have in the Garmin mount’ is closed to new replies.