Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • How many runs does the google street view car make?
  • jimmy

Just seen the car with a camera drive past. Does that mean I'll be famous soon? It will also prove just how hard I work…

druidh
    Free Member

I was cycling behind one last year (in the Flotterstone area) but I don't show up on the new release.

uplink
    Free Member

That reminded me to check if they snapped me last year

They did 😀

colnagokid

I got passed 4 or 5 times all in different streets last year, but only appeared in 1 area

13thfloormonk

yeah, they just interupted our Friday afternoon slumber in the office.

Where are you based Jummy?

Kit
    Free Member

I was cycling behind one last year (in the Flotterstone area) but I don't show up on the new release.

No one wants to see you in lycra, druidh…

29erKeith
    Free Member

they probably only record each street once but have to pass up and down many more than once get to all streets
    plus they have to got to and from accommodation etc as they travel around the country

I'd assume the system's clever enough to switch itself on and off as it chooses as it's driven around

MrOvershoot

Well I'm not sure how many passes they do but I was looking at the in-laws house last night and as you come up the road there are 2 cars in the drive but if you go past and then swing round the drive is empty!

meeeee
    Free Member

i like the google streetview stuff, can happily waste the odd half hour at work looking at places, but i've been wondering – does it actually have a useful purpose, eg is the data sold to any types of businesses?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Saw it as we cycled past on the tandem this morning and again just now from my window in leith

Houns

I was snapped driving to work a couple of months back, checked yesterday and my commute is forever more etched in history 🙁

andytherocketeer

Was wondering last night what the petrol/diesel bill must have been.

My folks place is in it, but gmaps has wrong street name.

My current place isn't in it, mainly cos Germany is taking offence at Google's "just stop us" tactics.

Drac

Must be a few the seasons change in the street at the bottom of my rode so must be more than once. It switches between them within a few meters.

zaskar
    Free Member

uplink-matching helmet and bike colour scheme-nicely done!

Trek roadie! 😉

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Not sure, but after looking at a house of interest this afternoon, the view from the main street is of a nearly completed structure, whilst the view from the side street shows the base course barely out the ground! This is in a wee highland village, suggesting multiple visits to outta the way places.

druidh
    Free Member

meeeee – Member
    i like the google streetview stuff, can happily waste the odd half hour at work looking at places, but i've been wondering – does it actually have a useful purpose, eg is the data sold to any types of businesses?

In addition to the cameras, the mast on the car also has a laser scanner to capture the topology of the street. You can see the results of this when you pan around – walls show up as vertical surfaces. Put these two together, supplement the data with a SatNav system and then you'll be able to look at a small-screen (Android anyone?) version of reality as you navigate around. Landmarks will be easier to find, as will junctions and turns ("2nd left at the Kings Arms").

househusband

Well, it made one run past me about a year or so ago:

Fame and infamy at last!!!

BigJohn

They must have got up on a ladder to peep over my back garden fence. Luckily none of my bikes were left lying around in the back yard and I'd taken the boards off the top of the car.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=st16+1dd&sll=54.044602,-2.792386&sspn=0.000844,0.001725&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Stafford+ST16+1DD,+United+Kingdom&t=h&layer=c&cbll=52.798161,-2.133887&panoid=sFKNcI-hytBT-4-Sat_PMg&cbp=11,34.75,,0,-3.82&ll=52.798161,-2.133888&spn=0.000391,0.001725&z=19

portlyone

I use it quite a bit for work purposes…

Plus, they'll need more than one pass incase anyone objects to that one cell/shot and they have to remove it.

white101

my pal Ally is stood at the bottom of her drive putting her rubbish in the wheelie bin….in her pink PJ's……classy chick

aracer
    Free Member

Luckily none of my bikes were left lying around in the back yard

Good job you've not let anybody know where you live if you leave bikes lying around in your back yard…

imnotamused
    Free Member

Yep, BigJohn, probably not the best idea posting your address on the internet with all those shiney bikes tucked up at home. I'd get the post removed asap if I were you.

Drac

Well pinch bar and bolt croppers packed, I'm off to Stafford.

BigJohn

If you've seen the state of my bikes, you wouldn't bother.

Drac

/turns car around.

CaptJon
    Free Member

It's not just Google who do it.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dunno, but it's august/september outside my house, but about 100m either end along the lane it's december/jan.
    Press Fwd arrow for instant time travel

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘How many runs does the google street view car make?’ is closed to new replies.