Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • How many people ride trail centres with coil rear shox
  • SOAP
    Free Member

What’s it like and what shock you running ?

grum
    Free Member

I do sometimes – I have a DHX5 on my Pitch. Not really worth the weight penalty for average trail centre riding though TBH – but feels a lot nicer on rocky ‘natural’ stuff or proper DH tracks.

rocketman
    Free Member

Humble Van R on my Voltage. I ride it 9 miles across Cannock Chase to Stile Cop and take in some of Follow The Dog on the way it’s like taking a shark to the swimming pool

But the Voltage is a big heavy bike with big heavy components so in a way the coil f + r suspension is nicely balanced. Wouldn’t entertain the idea of fitting a coil shock on trail bike tbh.

MartynS

I ride everywhere with a coil rear shock. Pushed vanilla r on a Turner 5spot.
    It’s Absolutely brilliant.

toys19
    Free Member

van rc on my covert. love it.

chopchop
    Free Member

I alternate between a CCDB and the stock RP23 on my covert, I don’t really notice the extra weight of the coil when it’s fitted but its much better when descending.

crofts2007
    Free Member

Van RC on my 2011 5spot, Vanilla R on my Ellsworth Truth.
    Just prefer coil to air.

pussywillow
    Free Member

😆

endurogangster
    Free Member

Yep, pushed dhx 5 on my el guapo, ti spring so not as much of a weight penalty, and it’s great round trail centres and the peaks!

SOAP
    Free Member

I’m thinking Pushed van rc on a Pitch.
    It’s a big bike with coil lyriks and flows with a 15st bloke riding it so a few extra kilos won’t hurt.
    Is the Van rc 4 times the weight of a rp23 ?
    Or did I read that wrong.

LoCo
    Free Member

We’ve been doing quite a few tunes on trail bike coil shocks as well as fitting the DSP Duelers on Spicys, Nomads etc. 😀

chopchop
    Free Member

I don’t think the Van RC is 4x the weight of a RP shock, my CCDB is about twice the weight (not put them on a set of scales though). My bike is no lightweight and neither am I so I can’t tell much of a difference riding the bike except climbing where the Propedal helps a lot to limit the bounce.

The DSP shocks that Loco mentioned come with a Ti spring iirc, so they should be a reasonable weight. Good price too, if they came in 190×50 I would have had one instead of the CCDB.

nacho
    Free Member

Got a DHX5 on my Heckler. Ride it everywhere from the blue at Haldon to Switchbacks type stuff in Spain. I know I am overbiked anyway for my skills! But my opinion is so what if an air shock would be a pound or so lighter. I don’t race, I’m slow up the hills anyway, it’s smooth, reliable and works. And I have fun. 😀

wwaswas

a coil shock?

at a trail centre?

are you mad?

you’ll die horribly when the rear shock spontaneously disasembles when it goes past the first ‘red route’ sign!

godzilla
    Free Member

CCDB on my Five.

_tom_
    Free Member

I rode a load of Welsh trail centres, a lot of the Whistler Valley trails and up Snowdon on my Bullit with 5th element coil shock and it was fine. Hard work what with the Boxxer up front though 😛

Northwind

I have, but tbh I didn’t think it was worth it, the performance advantage wasn’t as big as I’d hoped. TBH if they did a Van RC or DHX with a RP23-style propedal lever I’d probably have had that but blobbing up hills got old fast.

toys19
    Free Member

As I understand it, the van rc has adjustable compression for low speed only (and rebound), which is similar to propedal. It works well for me.

The difference with propedal is that you can adjust not just the level of damping, but the blow off threshold, with the van rc you adjust the level of damping, and the blow off threshold is quite low.

So if you pedal gently when climbing (which is all I can ever manage) then it is fine and you get very little bob. If you mash the pedals and sprint up like some kinda whippet then you need an rp23..

Northwind

Wanging up the propedal to max did tame it- but was a pain to do since it was a little dial with a lot of clicks tucked away on the shock, not so quick to do.

I think they’re missing a trick tbh… But my PUSH’d RP ran it close anyway so it didn’t take much to convince me to swap back.

neilc1881
    Free Member

CCDB. On my five and I love it, yes it is not as solid a pedalling platform, but it is very good and a lot of fun. The patriot with DHX5 was a bit harder work, but not due to the shock. I find the biggest factor is the wheels that go on, put a light(ish) set of tyres and rims and the bike will fly so long as the shock is set up well, dh wheels and the bike is a capable dh machine. Well, not the same as a full dh bike, but you know what I mean.

toys19
    Free Member

yeah tbh I have mine set at a great compromise level and I really do not get much bob when climbing, and it is butter smooth on the descents.

chris_db
    Free Member

I have a pushed VanRC with a titanium spring on my Nerve AM. It’s there because I’m too fat for an air shock!

I’m ashamed. by chr1sdb, on Flickr

pussywillow
    Free Member

Don’t forget yer body armour and met parachutes out on those trails guys 😆

duffle
    Free Member

I’ve ridden with air front and back and also coil f+b round trail centres and in t’alps with and without body armour…….must buy a met parachute 🙂 . I still can’t really tell the difference so just ride thing as it comes out of the garage!
    Maybe I should concentrate more on become a pro/riding god so I can participate in these conversations with a point to my posts 😕

orangeboy
    Free Member

My enduro has coil front and rear and seems fine uphill for what it is
    I did not expect it to fly up hills but if I keep peddling smooth its just fine
    I like just getting on and riding with out checking pressure or fiddling with lockouts as I go round etc

The 36 van seem to me to be at smoother than the floats I’ve had

gsp1984
    Free Member

Fox 36 up front, coil CCDB on the rear, it’s not the lightest thing in the world but fine for 30miles in the peaks.

If I did it all again I’d probably get a lighter package all round. But I do love it as it is.

Euro
    Free Member

I usually ride trail centres on my hardtail, but have had the bouncer to Inners a few times. It’s a heavy miniDH bike with a basic Fox Van R out back. It was a little bit less than OK at first but the men who push things worked their magic.

SOAP
    Free Member

Ordered a PUSHed Van rc today and they have put in a pedal platform.(sounds good)what ever that is.
    Never owned a coil shock before so whats the best way to go about setting the sag?
    I guess there is no O ring.

Onzadog
    Free Member

DHX 5.0 with an Avalanche ssv upgrade and custom tune on a turner 6 pack. Ride it everywhere. Not found anywhere that it doesn’t work.

SOAP
    Free Member

Ooo la la my pitch is like a sofa now.

First impressions are good with minimal bobbing and better small bump sensitivity and the rebound works.

stevied
    Free Member

Weekly rides on the Malverns on my Intense 6.6 with 5th Element coil. Had a shim upgrade @ TF and it rides like a dream. Climbs really well and I don’t struggle to keep up any more than I did on my OO 456 carbon. My mates can’t keep up on the down either so well worth it. Did try a Manitou air shock that came with the frame but wasn’t as plush and made no real difference on the ups…
    I am tempted with a CCDB air tho 😉

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Don’t forget yer body armour and met parachutes out on those trails guys 

Ha, ha! – U must ride Glentress & Laggan? – Always see folk with ah the gear…..

Nae need! – Especially at Glentress.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t forget yer body armour and met parachutes out on those trails guys
    Ha, ha! – U must ride Glentress & Laggan? – Always see folk with ah the gear…..

Nae need! – Especially at Glentress.
    Ride how your comfortable, it’s not anyone elses problem.

As for coils had a DHX5 on the heckler, was great 4 years ago and rode it everywhere, got a new heckler and a new RP23 which does the job just fine. I used it in the alps and at the mega last time i did them and it was perfect.

It has to be said I don’t spend hours tuning the crap out of my shocks I get on and ride them. It all seems to work fine for me.

If you want to carry it then go for it, same as body armour it’s personal choice (unless there are rules I don’t know about)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘How many people ride trail centres with coil rear shox’ is closed to new replies.