Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • how many people buy there bikes through finance?
  • sefton
    Free Member

Just wondering how many people take a finance option to buy there bikes?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Do you mean bike shops who offer 3 years 0% or personal loans that cost an APR?

I often wonder this one as I cant beleive the amount of people who are prepared to spend £2k + on a bike. I certainly dont have that kind of cash lying about.

xiphon
    Free Member

I did once (£1200 over 18 months @ 0%), but then decided it wasn’t worth buying brand new any more.

All three of my [second hand kit] bikes probably equate to what I paid for one new bike – and yet I can now choose between road, XC or DH…

chakaping
    Free Member

I was going to say never, but then I did have two cycle-to-work bikes and that’s a form of finance I suppose.

I cant beleive the amount of people who are prepared to spend £2k + on a bike

And the rest! You not seen what’s happened to bike prices over the last few years?

sefton
    Free Member

OK how did you pay for your bikes?

I’ve paid cash for my MTB & road bike BUT I’m considering finance on a new frame (to soften the blow)

toys19
    Free Member

Bought my bullit frame on 0% in 2007, bought my P7 Pro and added van 36 for the bullit in the 0% deal in 2009.

The bullit was sheer desire, could have bought second hand but just wanted shiny new.

The P7 pro was more of a practical decision, as it was more than the sum of its parts. the price for the complete bike with the pro upgrade was something like 1600, if I’d bought all bits separately to build the P7 it would have been about 2200 and I actually really wanted a 456 or a BFe. So I rode the P7 for a year, flogged the frame for 350 ish bought a 456 rode that for a year, gave the frame away and then finally settled on the BFe for 370 delivered which now has all the P7pro parts on it and it hasn’t cost me any extra (ish).. (Bit long winded but you get my point)

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I have done 2, one the Black Horse 0% finance and one on a Barclays 0%. Did it through the shops, one was a 1k bike, put a couple hundred down and paid about £35 per month (same as the gym I just quit).

I then did one on a 2k bike but after selling my old bike I put about 1k down so it worked out the same each month.

Very good if you can get 0%, if it doesn’t cost and you can afford it there’s no reason not to.

Gnnr

Bought my 5spot frame from CRC’s sale last year. Took out a Tesco credit card at 0% for 12months, set up DD to cover the cost.

Its the only large value purchase I have ever really made. Fancied shiny new with a warranty. Was well worth it as the frame craked 6mths later!

Paid off within the interest free period. Bit of a hassle but worth it for a one of purchase.

pjbarton
    Free Member

“how many people buy there bikes through finance?”

that’s “their bikes…”!!!

am I alone in getting annoyed by the ‘they’re, there, their’ thing?

(sorry)

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

There, they’re pjbarton. Go have a lie down for a bit 😉

sefton
    Free Member

your alone…this is a bike forum 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

No you’re not and yes it is annoying.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i did – no brainer really just make sure you have the cash to pay off the loan if need be

Rich
    Free Member

pjbarton – Member
    “how many people buy there bikes through finance?”

that’s “their bikes…”!!!

am I alone in getting annoyed by the ‘they’re, there, their’ thing?

(sorry)

People not starting their sentences with a capital letter annoys me more.

robbo1234biking

The only thing that has put me off it is that by the time you pay of the loan you will prob have replaced parts and/or the bike. Well in my case I will have I am sure

Gnnr

PJBarton – Why Don’t You? – go outside and do something less boring instead!

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Never bought anything (except morgage) on finance or credit cards.
    If ive not got the money then I cant afford it.
    Bikes are mostly 2nd hand purchases.

cp

I’ve never used finance on a bike, but depending on the deals they were doing for cash and/or 0% say, I’d consider going down the 0% route just so that I’m quids in at the end of it – i.e. I might as well have the cash in investments earning % rather than someone else having it. Even if I was financing, I wouldn’t go for it unless I could actually afford the thing in cash in the first place.

the_lecht_rocks

NEVER !

Cash is king. If you can’t afford it , dinnae buy it.

Mortgage was the only thing I ever financed.

jonb
    Free Member

My initial reaction to this is that I would never buy a bike through finance. They are not that expensive that you couldn’t save up for one (like a house or possibly a car) and they are far from essential. I’d take the view that I couldn’t afford it if I needed finance but then I hate taking on debt when I don’t have to.

Having said that, with the likes of Cycle to work and genuine interest free credit I could be pursuaded as there is a financial benefit in keeping the money yourself longer. If someone can afford to give you interest free credit, maybe they could afford a discount if you paid in cash?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“If someone can afford to give you interest free credit, maybe they could afford a discount if you paid in cash?”

Basically if the bike shop get you on 0% they make more money as they dont have to discount the bike. I’ve never known a LBS offer 0% and give you a discount at the same time.

By signing up to 0% I wouldnt be surprised if the bike shop get a small commission off the finance company. The finance company hope that you fail to make all your payments on time so that they can sting you a masssive penalty charge or interest rate at the end of the agreement.

loddrik
    Free Member

NEVER !

Oh if only everyone had enough cash lying around to buy the things they wanted. People like yourself wouldn’t be able to come across as all sanctimonious, and what would be the fun in that….

rustler
    Free Member

Wondered when the first one would pop up. 😉

I’ve never bought a new bike. Always s/h, bought a new frame a couple of times. Picked up my Ventana s/h, for £450. New was about £1500 IIRC.
    I’m just tight.
    If I ever hanker after a new bike I’d use 0% if the sums worked, but I’m guessing your going to be paying full RRP.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I probably would do unless I could get a better deal with cash, though paying cash doesn’t seem to result in much of a discount.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I tend to prefer buying bikes cash, but my current bike is on a 0% credit card, and will be paid off prior to the 0% period ending. I got a good deal on it at the time, and as it was the last bike in stock in my size, I would have otherwise had to stump up the extra cash for the 2011 model at full price (and at an increased price too).

Nothing wrong with credit when (a) you know you can pay it off within a sensible time frame and (b) it doesn’t end up costing you more than you would have paid cash. It is when (a) or (b) isn’t true that it is time to walk away.

MrTall
    Free Member

Call me old fashioned but if I want to buy something I save up for it first. Apart from the mortgage, i do everything I can to avoid debt.

I can understand the appeal of a 0% deal but I would still have to save the money first and know I had it set aside ready to cover the monthly payments.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

If you can’t afford it , dinnae buy it
    Mortgage was the only thing I ever financed

Pot kettle black that!!

I could afford the £35 a month plus a small deposit down but didn’t have 2k to buy it out right.
    Same as I can afford my morgage repayments but didn’t have 150k to layout in one lump sum. Only difference is one was 0% and the other (currently) is about 4%!!

yossarian
    Free Member

I have and why not? Too many people live for tomorrow when today is every bit as important!

If taking out some managable credit is the difference between riding a new bike or not riding it then do it.

You might get hit by a falling piano next week so do stuff now.

I should work for a bank really…

yunki
    Free Member

never a borrower or lender be..

I saved up for my bike over a couple of years..

handyman
    Free Member

I have, bought my last turner from rutland as i was off to live in the states and if you move there as a alien you have zero credit rating and the car insurance co treat you as a new driver even if you have been driving in the uk for 20 years, it is hard saving up for a new bike as with 3 children house wife something will always come along and ned the money

peterfile
    Free Member

LOL at the “i do everything to avoid debt” brigade (especially the ones with mortgages).

I love threads like this, always brings out the touchy subject of “borrowing money”.

Personally, I am able to manage my money with sufficient maturity and intelligence that it doesn’t leave me quivering in my boots at the mere thought of “borrowing” money to pay for things, so I don’t feel the need to do everything to avoid it.

That said, the only things I tend to finance (normally on a CC or overdraft and then transferred to an interest free offer and paid off) are deals that would be economically foolish to miss and can’t wait for me to free up £3k(+) of cash. I’ve got a savings fund which is there for emergencies, but snapping up a great deal on a bike isn’t an emergency (no matter how much I try to convince my girlfriend), so it doesn’t get touched.

I don’t tend to buy (too many) things for the sake of it. So if I know that a bike/TV/laptop is going to be replaced in the near future then I snap up a deal when it comes along. Makes sense to me. Must have saved loads over the years buying things that way.

brakes
    Free Member

bought my first bike on 0% finance over 6 months, why wouldn’t I?
    it’s good for your credit rating!
    I’ve paid for bikes and parts with cash and on credit cards (even ones with 20% APR). I buy a mix of new and second hand bits – never really saved for anything!
    debt is not a dirty word, as long as it’s manageable.

sefton
    Free Member

how about getting a credit card with 0% for 12months for the sole purpose of buying a new bike/frame?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

It does make me smile when people say that their mortgage is their only debit/finance and that they save for everything else. A friend who works in the city (earns 7 figures but still finances his cars etc) says that people who think like that haven’t thought it through.

Think about it – if you saved up £2k to buy a bike, that is £2k you could have paid off your mortgage and saved interest on so that money is in effect financed anyway, and also, it could take you 12 months to save up £2k at £180/month so how is that ANY different to getting the bike a year earlier and paying £180 a month to the finance company?

In reality, until you have no debts at all, mortgage (or rent) included then anything you buy could have reduced that debt so therefore is effectively being financed anyway.

Cashflow is all that matters – if you prefer to save each month or pay a finance company the same amount each month, as long as you can afford the payments it is no different at all and entirely down to the individual.

A lot of my clients have no need for mortgages but still have them as anyone who has that sort of cash can make it earn far more for them with investments, than they’re paying in interest on their mortgage.

For what it’s worth, I have a mortgage and a leased car but wouldn’t have any qualms about getting a bike on finance should the need arise.

sefton
    Free Member

It would suck if you saved for a year to find the new “Giant bike” has gone up in price!

so what’s the conclusion?

take advantage of 0% finance if available?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

My conclusion would be to do whatever suits you best! If you want a £2k bike and have £5k sat in the bank and no time to look how best to invest it then it probably makes more sense to buy it outright and haggle for a discount, but if not and it would take a year to save up and you need/want a bike sooner then I’d probably opt for the finance route!

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I used a 0% Tesco credit card to buy my PX Pro Carbon SRAM Red at the end of last year, I aim to pay the balance next month, worked for me but the temptation is now to buy something else as I have still got 6 months 0% left.

ourmaninthenorth

Cashflow is all that matters

Yep. Too true.

My inlaws are mortgage free, cash-rich and still will consider financing items (int free, always, natch) to smooth the cashflow impact on their position and particularly on their investment/capital base.

LimboJimbo

By signing up to 0% I wouldnt be surprised if the bike shop get a small commission off the finance company. The finance company hope that you fail to make all your payments on time so that they can sting you a masssive penalty charge or interest rate at the end of the agreement

Nope. Bike shop will have a subsidy to pay to the finance co. which is how the likes of Black Horse make their money. This is why last years discounted bikes often are not offered with 0%. The bike shops offer it as it increases sales volume. Interestingly, this type of consumer finance has some of the highest delinquency rates.

uplink
    Free Member

A lot of my clients have no need for mortgages but still have them as anyone who has that sort of cash can make it earn far more for them with investments, than they’re paying in interest on their mortgage.

What sort of cash?, I own a house but don’t have a mortgage
    Should I have piles of cash available to invest?
    I take it you think anyone who doesn’t have a mortgage must be rich?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘how many people buy there bikes through finance?’ is closed to new replies.