Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • How many of you have jacked in a job?
  • tails
    Free Member

I’m trying to hold out until next year but it’s so so tempting! Me and the director do not see eye to eye!

So have you ever just packed up and phoned in, in the morning! I remember Mr Nutt doing something similar.

weeksy

Not for many many many years.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yup. It’s only worth doing if you know you have something else, obviously, and no point in being an arse about it as it’s a small world and things have a habit of coming back round.

Stoner
    Free Member

twice from both my previous employed roles. When I get bored it’s better for all concerned that I go on my way.

Now Im self employed I dont have to worry about it ever again.

EDIT

It’s only worth doing if you know you have something else,

In both cases I didnt have “something else”.
    Life’s too short to always be a monkey looking to grab the next branch before letting go of the one you’re on.

wwaswas

depends if you’ll need any sort of state assistance whilst organising alternative employment?

If you have independent means then you can flounce.

If you need state help you’ll have to stick with it as you don’t get anythign if you leave by choice.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Around 6 years ago, when they point blank refused to give me holidays that i asked for, so that I could spend time with my pregnant wife who was having difficulty moving round the house.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I did it a long time ago, to spend the Summer cycling around the greek islands. It was my first job so didn’t really do my career prospects any harm as I didn’t really have a career as such at the time. Did take quite a while to get back into a proper job when I got back.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Doe it a few times and now I am fairly well donald ducked – so it can be done but be careful

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

1990 when I jacked it to go travelling and 2004 when I set my own business.

br
    Free Member

Only on my ‘terms’ – so before you do, organise a safety ‘net’.

BoardinBob

Yes. At my 6 month review. I had high hopes for the role but within a couple of weeks I realised what a mistake I’d made. I tried to keep my morale up but the place just wore me down so I jumped instead of being pushed. They started reeling off a list of issues they had with me at the review so I stopped them and told them I’d make it really easy for them and I was handing my notice in there and then. The sense of relief was amazing.

I got stuck on a months garden leave with my company car so I spent the month camping and biking.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Packed in an offshore job due to being treated like crap and being forked over for promotion time and again. No quality of life for 6 months of the year either. Now in a job that pays less but Im happier which is far more important. Dont believe business bollox – all this work hard and you will get to the top is just pish.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Organise some other work to go to first.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I did quite a few years ago.. Though I wasn’t employed by that person, we set up a business before he left the company we both worked for at the time and in the melay and frustrations being handed out at our then place of work, he left then weeks later I did too only to find when we went into busiiness together… he turned into a thief. I left sharpish, he went under, had a heart attack, lost his house and wife in the process. I walked away with my head held high and stood on the moral high ground for sometime after that particular affair.

You live,
    You learn,
    You move on.
    You don’t need anyones approval, nor judgement, nor finger wagging in situations, be calm and polite and..
    You move on.

BruceWee

I had some money saved up so I jacked in the job and dossed about for six months while I was deciding what to do. Eventually decided to move to Norway so it worked out alright.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

September 2000, I wake up, it’s pissing rain and miserable outside. It’s 5 am, and I have to sit in a car around 5.30am to drive to Stoke from Bristol for another boring day talking about sales figures with a load of management-speak spouting eejits. I’m hating my job for the last 3 or 4 months – the account management side is going very well, but the new business is about to fall over the edge of a cliff as I can’t be arsed anymore and I don’t believe in what I’m doing.

I opened my laptop, printed a resignation letter and drove to Stoke and put it on my boss’s desk. I had no safety net. No other job to go to. It was one of the most refreshing things I’ve ever done. I’ve never regretted it. Not for one second (though the first few years of self-employment were tough at times).

BoardinBob

Organise some other work to go to first.

I had nothing to go to.

billysugger
    Free Member

Jacked a job by telling the boss what I thought of his sinking ship and all the ‘family’ members he’d employed to make eachother brews in their offices. Went driving/biking round France for 2 weeks then over to Ballycastle for 2 weeks for the NW200.

Got a simlarly dead end job upon my return.

It’s really easy to do if you are:
    a) Capable
    2) Adaptable
    c) Childless and mortgage-less

Life’s too…

philconsequence
    Free Member

i walked out of a job, despite several letters begging me to come back and work for them again i decided to go and deliver shopping for tescos for about 6 months. no responsibility, no accountability… it was like a holiday job 😀

figured i’d keep my nursing registration going by joining a nursing agency and before doing my first shift the MD approached me and asked me to run one of his units in the community, been doing it ever since.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ve done it but I had a much better offer on the table to go to….

djglover
    Free Member

twice, first as a factory worker and then as a parcel force delivery driver. Kids + mortgage and a reasonably senior position mean no way now, plus I doubt the grass is much, if at all, greener in my line of work / industry.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Early 2004. The company I was at finally found out I was spending most of the day on the internet. This was mainly because they didn’t have much work for me to do and had downgraded me from engineer to secretarial and told me that I wouldn’t be getting a pay rise until my pay fell in line with the work they had for me. I was suspended pending a disciplinary so resigned before they had the chance to sack me. I believe that gained me a month’s pay in lieu of notice. Six weeks later I opened my bike shop which I’m still running very happily.

schmiken

Yep, hated the boss, hated the customers, hated the staff. Felt condescended all day long, worked ridiculously long hours with little pay and got no notice takemn of any issues I tried to raise. So politely told the boss to stick it up his arse.

And I left somewhere else before I could get sacked, the boss really had it in for me there.

DavidB
    Free Member

I do it every seven years. Never give a hoot about having something to go to or money saved. if you have the hunger you’ll feed your family

Pyro

Yup, bailed out of a job a year ago, wasn’t happy with the work, didn’t get on with half of my work colleagues (including my boss and the other company directors) and was haemorrhaging money driving 350 miles a week at least to get to and from the office. Was performing poorly because of all the above and when the time came for a slapped wrist, I admitted how I felt to two of the directors and handed in my notice. They were remarkably nice about it, think they wanted shot of me as well, which is probably fair enough, so they waived the notice period and just paid me a month in hand to tide me over.

I was she-it scared, but took a couple of weeks to pull my head together, then a week of concentrated job-shopping, and only a month after I quit I was in a new (long-term temp) job which I’m still enjoying to this day. I work 20 mins ride from home, with people I get on with, and with the new AWR regs coming in in December, I’ll be a couple of grand better off than I was back then.

tails
    Free Member

hmmm, it sounds similar I actually think I might have become stupider working there, which sounds funny! I have chucked my name in the hat for a job closer to home, so in an ideal world I can go from job to job, but it’s nice to know others just left!

Nearly did a couple of years ago, due to stress, working with idiots, office relocated 70 miles from home, doing 5 peoples jobs – was on £40k plus all the benefits, car etc, so would have been a big decision.

Sat tight, due to being indecisive and got put up for redundancy (with other managers) a couple of months later, so put myself up for voluntary and walked away with £13k to set up my own business. Not looked back since. Got told by the idiots that I was being a fool at the time – they were all out of work 3 months later and my business was taking off succesfully.

project
    Free Member

Long story , but i told my boss to shove her job, and walked out, next morning as i came back from the Dr,s with a nice sick note for a month due to stress, found a neighbour had signed for a recorded delivery letter for me, the letter telling me i had been sacked, so i just sent them a resignation letter,in return and never went back.

MoreCashThanDash

I had a row with the sales manager during my disappointing year as a gym membership salesman. He basically told me that my job was more important than my life, and I had to work every minute I could to meet their ridiculous targets.

I went home, wrote my resignation letter, picked up my uniform shirts, walked into the centre manager’s office and dumped it all on his desk.

It felt really good!

It felt even better when the centre manager refused to accept my resignation and took my side with the sales manager.

Still all went to hell in a handcart when the 4th largest health club chain in the world went down the pan due to having the the most stupid and inappropriate business plan, as I’d warned the international sales director when he asked me my views. Still makes me chuckle to see Virgin health clubs using our old marketing style though.

mtb2020
    Free Member

I suppose you’ve got to work out it what it is you want to do and how exactly you want to get there. If you’ve got lots of savings, you could definitely take a sabbatical and travel for 6 months or a year, or perhaps retrain and take a course to help you change direction and follow a new career path. Of if you want to start your own business, get a bread and butter job to support you, and then just start working towards your goals.

The thing is I used to get tied up in knots about annoying colleagues and the resident psychopaths – but a lot of that was due to my immaturity and inexperience.

If I had my time again, I wouldn’t have let many of them get to me in the way I did. They’re paying you after all, and oftentimes you just need to develop a hard inner core to be immune to all their pettiness and snide crap etc.

If you’ve got plenty of options don’t linger. Sometimes that’s the best thing to do, but you’ll often find most offices have their resident eejjitts. It’s knowing how to deal with them that’s often the secret to success.

Pieface

I took voluntary redundancy with a 6 month notice period with no job lined up. I now have a job secured for the new year. Finish current job at xmas, new job in the new year.

juan
    Free Member

The title souned so promising…

mrmo
    Free Member

Walked out of a job literally just walked out, just before last christmas, the boss was a obnoxious bully, he was a control freak, he lied, bent the numbers to appear better, etc.

Just had enough and walked out.

Sometimes sanity comes first.

Northwind

My last job became a case of lasting til redundancy was offered while they overtly tried to manage us all out. It’d have been satisfying to walk but much more satisfying to walk away with a year’s wages!

scotsman
    Free Member

I do it regularly, but in my industry there is always another job/contract round the corner, could walk out one day and have a new contract the next so it’s easy for me, also been back to companies on several occasions after leaving with no grudges held, but like i said it’s the industry.

Being the highest paid and also most expensive to get rid of, it didn’t take long for it to sink in why I was suddenly being bullied by directors. Strangely enough when I mentioned my thoughts about victimisation to a two faced lower manager, it all stopped.

ddmonkey

Twice, sort of… Both times I had a plan before taking the plunge, so both involved an element of risk but fingers crossed things have worked out well so far. So go for it, but have a plan, Stan.

boblo
    Free Member

I used to work for a very large IT consultancy. Got peed off with all the bullsh1t and it came to a head when they sold yet another ‘solution’ that was all but unworkable and needed rescuing in delivery. After a particularly vexing call with the senior management, I came out of the conferencing room, cleared my desk and left. Never went back.

JFDI, you’re a long time dead….

DavidB
    Free Member

Juan..done that as well before the days of cctv

zippykona

I was on holiday in Sydney and had a nightmare that I was at home. Was so relieved to still be in Oz that I threw my job in the next day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘How many of you have jacked in a job?’ is closed to new replies.