• This topic has 27 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How many of you have an AED at work (automated external defibrillator)?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve just persuaded our directors to get one – it arrived today.
    Fantastic, potentially life-saving piece of kit and just over a grand.

Who also has one in their place of work and have any been deployed in a cardiac arrest case?

Medics and other hospital staff need not apply…

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Had 2 delivered this week. Training day next week. Well worth the money.

matt_bl
    Free Member

We’ve got one.

Apparently it won’t work unless it recognises that defibrilation is required.

A good bloody job considering some of our first aiders!

Matt

GTDave
    Free Member

We have one here, & i’ve done the St Johns AED training for the last 6 years. Thankfully, neither the training nor defib has needed to be used!

derek_starship
    Free Member

matt_bl – it will not permit a shock unless a shockable rythmn is detected (VF/SVT etc.)

Junkyard
    Free Member

no how many workplaces experience a heart atack per year?
    What is the estimated life saving potential of these?
    not trolling interested

Flaperon

I’ve used one – sort of – and it said was “DO NOT SHOCK” repeatedly but guided me though CPR. Wonderful things.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think a heart attack has to be way better than debilitated senility 🙂

ratherbeintobago

What is the estimated life saving potential of these?

The only, repeat only thing proven to improve survival and neurological outcome after sudden cardiac arrest is early defibrillation of a shockable rhythm, and the earlier the better. AEDs potentially mean life- (and brain-) saving treatment can be delivered as early as possible, and before the paramedics arrive.

Andy

IanMunro
    Free Member

We have two plus plenty of CPR trained staff.
    No lives have been saved.

Not too sure they are a sensible thing at work anyway. If they do save someone’s life, then you’re going to have to cough up sick pay and replacement cover whilst the person convalesces. Plus you won’t be allowed to shout out them in case it stresses them too much. Best just make a clean break of it and get a nice new young placement when nature gives you the opportunity.

monkeyp

yep – 2 here. Many personnel trained on them and also have full oxygen therapy, airways, pulse oxymeters etc.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I reckon we must have 40 or so of them where we are and literally hundreds of people that know how to use them in anger.

UncleFred
    Free Member

Got one in our building and plenty of trained staff to use it, including me.

I’ve used one in anger 4 times. Twice the casualty has gone on to make a recovery, once there was no shockable rhythm and once the guy had been out for 20 mins and didn’t survive.

derek_starship
    Free Member

SBZ – 40 AEDs? How BIG is your site?

footflaps

We’ve had two heart attacks at work in the last 9 years at my work – and now have a few trained first reponders with defrib kit, oxygen, etc

konabunny
    Free Member

I have no idea and I would have no idea how to use one.

firestarter
    Free Member

We have one on each engine in our brigade used one three times it worked once, well the unit worked but you know what I mean . All big supermarkets have them which is a very good idea I think

Dibbs
    Free Member

We have 3 on site (two at fixed locations and one in the security Landrover) and at least one trained duty first aider on site 24/7.

kiwijohn

My wife has one, built in.

Kato

There’s two in the nick. Everyone’s trained how to use it

ell_tell
    Free Member

We’ve recently taken delivery of two for a couple of our larger sites.

Great piece of equipment that hopefully will not need to use but good to have just in case. We’ve also registered its location with the Ambulance Service so if they are ever on call and have requirement to use a defib our could be borrowed. I always assumed all ambulances had defibrillators but not so thats the case. Happy to stand corrected though.

meehaja
    Free Member

probably best if it doesn’t shock SVT… I’m not sure the battery life would be up for pacing and Adenosine is still the preferred first line treatment?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

derek_starship – it’s a university and the mainstay of what it teaches are healthcare related courses.

peteimpreza

We have 3 on site, one in the central security office, and two with trained duty first aiders ( one in each “wing” of the building) on site during normal office hours.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

The trust I work for has progressed to a lot of AEDs in place of manual controlled defibs, personally not used one but then in paediatrics cardiac arrest is nearly always preceeded by features that mean that early intervention should prevent arrest anyway, unless there is a pre-existing cardiac abnormality. We’re instructed to call the paediatric arrest team pre arrest anyway to try and prevent arrests.

Other problem is that commonest rhythym in paeds arrests is asystole, a none shockable rhythym anyway. Good CPR and ventilation is essential in a flat child.

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

my leisure centre has the nhs one

being a lifeguard the training for it is nice

noteeth
    Free Member

Good CPR and ventilation is essential in a flat child.

I live with two PICU nurses. I never complain about my day in front of them, because when they have a bad day… 😐

I even tolerate their incredible lack of washing-up skills.

Drac

We have some on the none medical staff vehicles.

Really the idea behind an AED is that anyone can use them, no training necessary.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How many of you have an AED at work (automated external defibrillator)?’ is closed to new replies.