Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • How many more stage wins does Cav need….
  • wool

So asked if he could improve ? said yes but said the team could not. Dinner on his lonesome tonight!?
    An amazing sprinter just needs to keep his trap shut. Come back Super Mario now he talked crap a least it was funny.

mingsta
    Free Member

Think you got that wrong wool. I think he was getting at the fact that his team and lead out couldn't get any better because they're already the dogs danglies. And he'd be right, they've bossed the sprints that he's won.

Rejoice, we've got a british sprinter in the form of his life with the best train leading him in. He'll get mature as he gets older and wiser, but I hope he never loses the fire in his belly.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it did sound like you thought at first wool but I thought he explained latter about them bossing sprints and other teams not even bothering ….that is why they cannot improve they ar eas good as it gets
    Cav doesn not win every sprint yet but it is his goal.

joe1983
    Free Member

Is there anywhere that explains a bit about the tdf? I have only just worked out cav is doing well although he is nearly 2hrs down on the lead time!

wool

ok i got it wrong had a look at interview again I would still like to see Mario back, barking mad but fast as ****

samuri
    Free Member

Cav sems alright to me. He normally says thanks to his team for pulling him through in the interviews. No idea why people are bitching about him not doing his share, he's a sprinter, that's their job. Wait till the last 1000 metres, open it up. Agreed, it's a fairly simple job but I wouldn't expect anyone in that position to be particularly nice, it's a frigging ruthless game, if your opponents have a heart attack that's a good thing, that's how winners look at stuff.

For joe1983, there are a number of competitions in play simultaneously. Cav is in the points race, lance and contador are in the overall TdF winners race. Neither groups expect to win the others race. It's why Lance and the like are often quite happy to trundle across the line taking their time because they get a pelaton time just like everyone else in there but for the sprinters crossing the line first is the ultimate objective, even if it's only by milliseconds.

colnagokid

the guys a winner with a winners mentality: he knows hes going to win! And he tells it like it is, straight up!
    Same as some guy called Lance summit other that alot of people onthis here forum believe is the second comming of Merckx, he can breathe out his arse, and never ever took drugs no sir-ee, the rest of them did tho!

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I am glad to see him win having seen him sprint in real life.
    I did like this comment about the others in the hunt for the green jersy.

Asked what advice, if any, he could offer to them Cavendish was curt: "Cross the line before me."

glenp
    Free Member

Britain's Got Talent is a popularity contest – the TdF Green Jersey is a sprinting competition.

tinsy
    Free Member

I only know what I have seen of him on this tour, but he certainly had it yesterday, that was some display.

Still think he has some kind of wandering eye problem though..

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i've met a lot of top sportsmen and a degree of arrogance in respect to your sport is required to be at the top of your game. doesn't necessarily mean they are arrogant in real life.

Cav and Wiggins are showing the fruits of the amazing work done by Dave Brailsford and his well funded, excellently managed and highly scientific British Cycling training. There whole mantra is 'Podium Mentality' and they encourage a very aggressive approach to winning alongside appreciation of your team members.

this speech was the basis for the motivational video sent out to all BC team members during the start of preparations for Beijing last year. (contains swearing)

rOcKeTdOg

i for one would love to see cav and his team up against cippo and his red train at the height of their powers, what a last 5k that would be!

uplink
    Free Member

would that be with cippo on the gear or off it?

rOcKeTdOg

in the 'anatomy' skin suit with laurel crown and toga 🙂

AdamM
    Free Member

I like Cav, he calls things as he sees them. He's a bit arrogant, but he's got the results to back that up and I don't believe you can be truly successful as a sprinter without that sort of attitude. It'd be like asking a boxer to be all lovey-dovey over his opponents, they could do it, but don't expect them to win a fight.

His team must love him right now: the first thing he does after a stage win is wait for each of them to cross the line to say thanks, then he credits them in every interview, and I bet they all get a share of the cash for the stage win. He was spot on in yesterday's interview, he might have a few things to improve on but his team is working perfectly to deliver him to the right point to win the stage in every sprint. As a sprinter, or a team supporting a sprinter, I doubt life can get much better.

WRT the green jersey, Cav's been pretty open about his primary goal for this year's tour being to win stages and get to Paris to win the final stage. If the green jersey comes with that then it's a bonus. If he manages to do what he wants this year, I reckon you'd see him going for intermediate sprints as well in next year's tour, but he wants to finish one first. Don't be fooled into thinking the green jersey doesn't mean anything to him, I suspect that the further through this tour he gets and the more likely it is he'll finish, the more he'll want the jersey as well as the stage wins.

glenp
    Free Member

Is there anywhere that explains a bit about the tdf? I have only just worked out cav is doing well although he is nearly 2hrs down on the lead time!

Just to put things into perspective, both in relation to the fabulous Cav and the legendary Lance – Eddy Merckx won his first TdF by a record 17 mins and 54 secs and in the process won both King of the Mountains and Points jerseys (as well as Yellow, obviously). Had there been a young riders' white jersey he would have won that as well.

miketually
    Free Member

I the earlier interviews in this year's Tour, Cavendish was playing down his hopes for the Green jersey. From what he said, I thought he had it in mind, but team orders were to go for stage wins and not the jersey so that's the line he was taking.

firestarter
    Free Member

i guess he can be as outspoken as he wants as long as his legs keep backing him up 😉 good luck to the lad. and from what ive heard he is very up for the green jersey . fingers crossed 😉

miketually
    Free Member

Just to put things into perspective, both in relation to the fabulous Cav and the legendary Lance – Eddy Merckx won his first TdF by a record 17 mins and 54 secs and in the process won both King of the Mountains and Points jerseys (as well as Yellow, obviously). Had there been a young riders' white jersey he would have won that as well.

But it was a very different race in those days.

miketually
    Free Member

from what ive heard he is very up for the green jersey

We'll know he's up for the Green when he starts going for intermediate sprints.

BlingBling
    Free Member

But it was a very different race in those days.

Testing methods were very different in those days…..

glenp
    Free Member

Merckx could only win the races he was in at the time, different or not. He is easily the greatest ever bike racer – just trying to highlight what a massive range of achievement there is to match up to.

clubber
    Free Member

Looks like Cav now is at the very least seriously considering green:

12:25 – 177km – The answer is yes. Cavendish from Hushovd and Casar at Channes!! So Cavendish has the green jersey with 182 points with Hushovd in second with 173 after that sprint. Full points standings (before that sprint)
    12:20 – 180km – Sprint coming up, will Cavendish go for it with the group together? This is what he said yesterday: "It seems to be an unspoken agreement that we won't risk chasing two points. With Thor fifth, I've got a bigger advantage over him but it's still going to be hard because we've seen how good he is: he can get in a break over the mountains but I'm still not going to change my game plan. It's working." Video: Cavendish interview after stage 11

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/cycling/livematch/281270.html

aracer
    Free Member

Had a feeling he was taking it more seriously after his interview yesterday. After all, he has almost achieved his stage win aims now (would probably be happy just to win the last one).

miketually
    Free Member
Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘How many more stage wins does Cav need….’ is closed to new replies.