Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • How many links to run Compact and 11-32 ??
  • roadiesean
    Free Member

I’m just about to go to Nice for a week of riding and after a poor year, am thinking I need more help. I have a 10 speed rear mech with long cage, an 11-32 cassette and I need a new chain, do I need a 120 linker or would a 114 link work ??

So its a 50/38 compact and an 11/32 cassette on a road frame with fairly short stays.

Any ideas ??

jonba
    Free Member

No, How long is a standard shimano chain, that works 50-27. You need enough to go round the two biggest rings+1 link as a general rule. If this isn’t enough then you just need to remember not to shift into big big as you’ll break something!

Sheldonbrown have any answers?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

only ever bought 114 and always taken links out…

zilog6128

Interested in the answer to this myself, since I am about to do a similar thing! I was under the impression though that a long cage road mech is equivalent to a med cage MTB mech and couldn’t take a cassette larger than 30 teeth. So to add a larger cassette you basically need to use a 9-spd MTB long cage mech (which has the same pull ratio as road 10-spd)? Although to be fair I could be talking out of my arse as I really don’t know? 😆

jota180
    Free Member

My Planet-X Pro Carbon has a SRAM WiFli kit on it 12/32 with a 50/38 compact

That uses a 109 [+ powerlink] link chain

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

two biggest rings+1

I thought it was 2-3 links extra.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m also interested in this. I need to lower the gearing on my Hybrid (currently 11-26 9-speed cassette and 34×50 FSA chainset) as run out of low gears on steep climbs.
    Rear mech is SRAM X5.
    Swapping the whole lot out to 10-speed is not an option, and don’t want to spend £100’s…

Any reason I can’t fit a shimano HG50 12-27 cassette? will I notice any real difference from 1 more tooth?

What are my options? (other than greater fitness, which is coming)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How many links to run Compact and 11-32 ??’ is closed to new replies.