Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • How many helmets do you use?
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

No I used to have a helmet for my road bike and a helmet for my mountain bike as the peak got in the way when on the drops. Now I commute on a mountain bike I prefer to wear my mountain bike helmet as the peak is useful. But its been destroyed in the last 6 months with the crap weather and mountain biking at the weekends too.

So do you have a dedicated commuter helmet/ road helmet and weekend mountain bike helmet?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Nope. Just an MTB helmet.

RealMan
    Free Member

One Specialized 2d sworks thing for road riding, mtbing, night riding, commuting. Light bracket gets removed for riding during the day, peak comes off for road riding.

Specialized deviant carbon for bmx and dh.

clubber
    Free Member

Just one but it’s a Bell Volt which is designed for both (eg peak on or off) but I’ve never bothered having more than one.

LoCo
    Free Member

5 Helmets 2 x DH full face, p.pot for BMX and 2 MTB Xen and Xar, visor off for road stuff

prezet
    Free Member

1 x full face for mtb/bmx,
    1 x piss pot for bmx,
    1 x trail lid for commute/mtb.

GW
    Free Member

you honestly didn’t realise mtb helmet peaks are removable? 😕

rocketman
    Free Member

1 x DH
    2 x jump
    3 possibly 4 MTB

Road? No need for a helmet in the mighty Mondeo 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

3 helmets at present

1 in the shed, one in the car and one under my desk, I just grab whichever one is handy at the time

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have two, a roadie type one and a MTB one so I can fit in at the trail centre car park.
    Seriously though my MTB one has a DX light mount cable tied to it and gets used for night riding six months of the year.

foxyrider
    Free Member

1 knackered MTB for commuting
    1 road helmet for road
    2 MTB helmets – trail vs XC 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

1 full face DH
    1 cheapo specialized £20 – peak lost [ ok i rested it on the fire and two days later lit the woodburner – it was black I did not notice ..it did not smell nice!
    1 Exensive Specialized one – use mainly for road and summer
    The one under the desk priceless but sadly the least used

clunker

Just my old trusty Xen.

njee20
    Free Member

3 for me in regular use:

White 2D mainly for road riding
    Black/yellow prevail for racing and mountain biking
    Red 2D for night riding, always has the light bracket so I know it’s in the right place!

Did have a black 2D which broke and an Atmos which just wasn’t as comfy!

MRanger156
    Free Member

One for mtb, commute and road (just take the peak off).
    One for DH.

IainGillam
    Free Member

3, Giro advantage for TT’s and longer tris, Specialized Propero for road, xc and commuting and a spare for when the inevitable crash happens and I need one as a stop gap before I can get a new one. Got loads of old helmets lying around though as I replace my MX ones every year my cycling ones every couple or when I have a big off and I can’t bring myself to chuch any of them.

Iain

stgeorge

Why do people take the peak off for riding on a road?

Honest query.

Junkyard
    Free Member

thems the rules
    You are lower down [in the tuck] and it obscures visibilty as you are effectively looking up to see forward

GW
    Free Member

the answer’s already been given

RealMan
    Free Member

Rule #35 says so.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

specialized 2d for road and a 661 dirt lid for mtb

used to have a bell xc lid as well but i cracked that in March and used the pisspot in the meantime, surprisingly didnt find it too hot during the summer so have stuck with it since.

Why do people take the peak off for riding on a road?

Obscures visibility when on the drops

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

3 for me.

One older Spesh Decibel for mountain bike/ commuting duties and two Spesh s-works prevails for road riding.

chakaping
    Free Member

Own about six, use three.

Can anyone else not seem to throw old helmets away for some reason?

stgeorge

Thanks for answers. I see now.

lunge

1 Giro mountain bike one
    1 661 full facer
    1 pisspot that doubles as my ski helmet

soma_rich
    Free Member

hmm think I will buy a cheap one for commuting and get another better one for mountain biking when I get a lot sweatier.

RealMan
    Free Member

It doesn’t really, not if you’re in the right position. It even does a great job of keep rain out of your eyes when it’s really chucking it down. Some pros (including Lance) use peaks when the weathers awful, despite the rule violation.

Philby

Giro Havoc for mountain-biking and commuting etc.
    Giro Saris for road bike

alfabus
    Free Member

MTB – Giro Havoc
    MTB Full Face – 661 somethingorothercheap
    Road – Giro Monza
    Climbing – Black Diamond Half Dome
    Snowboarding – Giro Bad Lieutenant

so… 5 🙂

Dave

FuzzyWuzzy

1 x DH
    1 x s-works 2d (MTB)
    1 x Giro Hex (MTB night rides – has joystick mount attached)
    1 x LAS Victory Supreme (road)

momo

4, 1 full face, 1 piss pot (gets used more for snowboarding), 2 mtb I’ve kept my recently retired one as a spare.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Just the one for everything (Met 5th Element).

But its been destroyed in the last 6 months with the crap weather and mountain biking at the weekends too.

How’s it been destroyed in 6 months? Unless you fall on your head a lot of course.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Three, I wear whichever one matches the rest of my riding kit best that day.

RealMan
    Free Member

Three, I wear whichever one matches the rest of my riding kit best that day.

Best answer so far.

angryratio
    Free Member

2.. both giro hex for everything.

Wear one while the other airs a bit thus avoiding a cheesy lid occuring too quickly.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

It doesn’t really, not if you’re in the right position. It even does a great job of keep rain out of your eyes when it’s really chucking it down. Some pros (including Lance) use peaks when the weathers awful, despite the rule violation.

Well it obscures visibility for me – i usually wear a cycling cap under my helmet when the weather is awful and when on the drops i need to compensate by moving my head up to see the road ahead rather than just look up with my eyes. End up getting a stiff neck, which i dont otherwise get.

RealMan
    Free Member

But caps sit lower down then peaks.

DezB
    Free Member

A Xen for mtbing, a E2 for commuting (with a peak! on a road bike! with a backpack! in baggy shorts!)
    and a bare head for going out with my dawg (or maybe a cap if there are a lotta flying bugs)

xiphon
    Free Member

3 – 1 x DH full face; 1 x BMX p.pot ; 1 x Met XC

acjim
    Free Member

1 full face
    1 semi piss-pot / german army hot thing
    1 roadie commute
    1 nice xc mtb

having a separate one for commuting keeps the sweat stink off the other ones

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘How many helmets do you use?’ is closed to new replies.