Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How many extra links?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Just wondering if I can use the spare links I have or whether I need to order a new chain too..

Going to a 40T, RADr cage and up to a 32T oval from a 30T round chainring. Anyone know how much extra chain I might need?
    Chain is only a few miles old so don’t really want to have to buy a new one..

qwerty
    Free Member

If the chain is only a few miles old, use the (new?) spare links you have.

Length = big/big+2 links.

qwerty
    Free Member

Full suss may need to comress it through full range of movement to make sure it doesn’t tighten chain

stevied
    Free Member

I know the big-big + 2 but just wondering how many ‘extra’ links I might need to add into the current length for the 40T, RADr etc…

paladin

vincienup
    Free Member

Interested…

Is there actually a rule of thumb or method to calculate number of extra links?

I’d have just measured and cut although I can see how this approach wouldn’t work if you were putting links back in…

robj20
    Free Member

Well XX1 is 4 links, mine needs 6 to allow for chain growth. It also allows me to swap between a couple of different chainrings.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I never thought to compress my suspension before(dw), but when I went 1×10 I did. Added 4 links and the chain was totally slack. Think I took 2 links out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How many extra links?’ is closed to new replies.