Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How many brake pads do I need for the "puffer"
  • AntM
    Free Member

I'm working out a list of things I need for Santa to bring me for the puffer. Any suggestions on number of pads i'll need? (running Hope mini monos 06 vintage)

Smee
    Free Member

Solo, pairs, quads?

I've never gone through a set of pads at the puffer.

AntM
    Free Member

Solo 😯

Smee
    Free Member

Get some sintered ones and break in a couple of sets before you go and you'll be fine. course isn't as bad as it used to be for eating pads.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have only ever used supershit pads quickly at puffer

first year it was run i did the whole event on one set of pads

then the third year i started on superstar pads which lasted a lap …. changed to a second set which lasted a lap – changed to fibrax which lasted the rest of the event and 6 months ….

see you in solo 😉 im going for the 4 sets and 3 bikes approach….

jojoA1
    Free Member

I doubt it will be as bad for pad eating as three years ago. Certainly wasn't last year, didn't need to change any. Bed in a few sets just in case though.

Year before last ready for riding in a pair, I pre-bedded about 10 sets (combined with hill interval training) and only got through one set during the race.

The bad year, we went through about 12 pairs in a team of 4, we have a club tropy made from all the slivers of metal that were the remains of the pads, attached to a nice green baize background.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Spare bike and spare set of pads per bike for me ( all the same brakes) – soloing as well. I have no intention of going fast enough to need brakes however.

GlenMore
    Free Member

About 40 sets apparently. The guys at TBC might be able to do you a deal though…..

epicyclo

I've done all the 'Puffers as a solo.

I think the big factor in the brake pad 'Puffer was that it was consistently wetter, drizzly rather than rain, but not that cold. (Just felt that way because we were wet)

The first one seemed muddier but it was colder. Last year was basically dry and cold (& icy 🙂 ).

This year was nice and easy.

You never know what the 'Puffer is going to throw up, so take a heap of spare pads anyway, and don't forget ice tyres.

If anyone wants brakes that will last the 'Puffer you can do what I've done and build a set of wheels with drum brakes. No measurable wear after the 'Puffer. Just a slight (ahem) sacrifice of braking power on Viewrock descent.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Anyone think that the course this year was too easy/short?

whyter

No problems with superstar sintered ones for me this year – and they lasted for ~6 months after. I did take 4 extra pairs to be on the safe side though!

epicyclo

jojoA1 – Member
    Anyone think that the course this year was too easy/short?

I shouldn't have called it easy, but it was not a bike wrecker this year – only saw evidence of 2 wrecked derailleurs beside the track, people's brake pads lasted the whole race 🙂 (Talking from a solo point of view)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How many brake pads do I need for the "puffer"’ is closed to new replies.