Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How many bikes in the boot of an A4 Avant
  • pop-larkin
    Free Member

Looks like I am going to have an A4 avant as a company car for the summer – just to conform with the stw/trail centre stereotype (well actually it is going spare so I may as well use it!)

Anyhow the question is whether you can get bikes in the boot with all the rear seats in use or will I need to invest in roof bars

Cheers

bassspine
    Free Member

Avants are like an inverse tardis, smaller on the inside than the outside,

roof bars is the way, with the seats down I managed three once…

chainslapp
    Free Member

They are not that big inside, you may be better with the bars.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I kinda knew the answer I think but was just hoping- cheers all

iainc

it’s slightly larger than my 3 series tourer, which is to small to really put bikes inside without faffing – that’s why they have roof rails 😀

tazzymtb

pop they’re cack for load hauling I hated mine with a passion 😀

monkfish
    Free Member

best i’ve managed is 3 but that’s with the seats down.

Roof bars is the way to go

james
    Free Member

“Avants are like an inverse tardis .. with the seats down I managed three once…”
    “3 but that’s with the seats down”

Thats sound terrible
    I’ve managed 5 (inc. wheels) in a ’97 VW Polo with room to spare, well if you removed the pedals off of the 6th bike I reckon it might wedge up against the roof then
    Might have to put a couple of wheels in the boot of the bag/helmet/people ferrying car though

My mums A4 avant has roof racks, not the Audi ones as the ends mean you’ll likely only get 3 carriers on. The Thule ones will let the carriers overlap the roofrail clamp units (the bike handlebars are still miles away from the edge of the car/wingmirrors)

Compared to her last 3 series touring though the difference between bikes/roofrack and neither seems a lot bigger, 20mpg+. We can’t quite work out why as the BMW (3L D compared to 2L D audi) was more like 10mpg

bassspine
    Free Member

I used paddy hopkirk roof bars and bike carriers and had 4 bikes on the roof of my avant no problem.

damo2576
    Free Member

I have an Avant and have to agree with the reverse tardis point! Smallest boot in it’s class and I’m always finding stuff I can’t fit in!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How many bikes in the boot of an A4 Avant’ is closed to new replies.