Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • How loud is a One Direction concert likely to be?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Come on, own up, one of you must have seen them!

LittleMissMC (aged 8 & 3/4) has the chance to go and see the delightful 1D later this week – a friend of hers was going with a family group and they have offered to take her as they have a spare ticket.

Just wondering how loud it will be – I wouldn’t take her to the kind of gigs I go to without her having some ear plugs in, but as balding overweight hair metal isn’t her thing, would she need ear plugs for the volume (not the musical quality) at One Direction?

Feel free to start your answers with “a friend saw them and…”

scotroutes

Your daughter.

Aye. Right.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

CRB check at the door

so glad i had boys 😆

Drac

She won’t wear them so don’t bother.

m0rk
    Free Member

scotroutes
    Your daughter.

Aye. Right.

Spot on.

MoreCashThanDash

It’s a females only trip.

Frankly, if someone else wants to take her to see them, I consider it a win all round!

MoreCashThanDash

And my CRB checks are all fine and up to date, thank you very much!

Junkyard
    Free Member

if they were you would know it changed to the Disclosure and Barring service 😉

Not meaning to suggest you are a criminal

Drac

I thought he was going on his moped.

piemonster

Assuming there making any sound at all.

Too Loud.

MoreCashThanDash

I wasn’t the one who first called them CRB checks

And everyone knows that DBS checks just show that you haven’t been caught yet 🙄

CountZero

I would certainly err on the safe side and get some foam earplugs from Boots and put them in; it’s likely to be fairly loud, even a folk gig with amplification can be pretty loud, and young ears need protecting. I saw Lucy Rose the other evening, and she was really going for it live, much louder than you’d expect from listening to her recordings.
    And there’s likely to be lots of high-pitched screaming going on, and that can be at ear-damaging decibels; once you get up over 87dB for an hour and a half, I wouldn’t be without earplugs! In fact, I carry a pair at all times, just in case.

nealglover
    Free Member

Roughly 20% quieter than they used to be.

bearnecessities

I’ve been asked to tell you that you’re worrying too much.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Brilliant 😆

hammyuk
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member
    I’ve been asked to tell you that you’re worrying too much.

Chapeau

MoreCashThanDash

bearnecessities – now you know why I’m enjoying the peace and quiet eh?

wiggles
    Free Member

Too loud

ninfan
    Free Member

You should take some old underpants to throw on stage

unwashed…

aracer
    Free Member

Not necessarily. I do have a CRB (honest!) which was done before that changed, and whilst I think I knew that, there’s no particular reason why I’d need to.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s not the band you’ll need to worry about but all the screaming Mums…

#milfsgoingwild

Sandwich

More audience noise than group noise would be my guess. Unless there’s a shoe thrower in!

Edit: Only dogs will hear that noise.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I took littlemonkeysfeet (12yrs) to see them in Birmingham 2 weeks ago (Barcleycard Arena)….we were sat sort of at the back but not quite in the stands. The loudest noises were from the screaming kids, not the band. She enjoyed them, and thats all that mattered.

The memory still burns…. 🙁

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’d be encouraging her to wear ear plugs with ear defenders over the top for one direction.

aracer
    Free Member

Noise cancelling headphones playing something different FTW

edhornby

given the amount of squealing I would suggest foam ones from boots – however daughter will not wear them ‘cos they are wierd and no-one else does’

hatter
    peajay

I took my daughters to the SECC a couple of years ago to see them, I have never seen a bar so quiet and the gents was a ghost town! The ladies had a que to get in!

cbike
    Free Member

http://uk.earpeace.com/

For occassional use and making it sound better and being able to hear people talk these will do you fine. I would for any PA. Soundies are idiots and all deaf.

slowoldman

even a folk gig with amplification can be pretty loud

Ah I miss the days of proper acoustic folk gigs.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Don’t get foam earplugs as they will muffle the sound so she is unlikely to accept wearing them.

The ACS earplugs are much better as the sound doesn’t change and may actually sound better as your ears aren’t so ‘overloaded’

I have these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACS-ER20-musicians-high-fi-earplugs-case-ER-20-GENUINE-NEW-FREE-UK-P-P-/151723467761?var=&hash=item23536c63f1:m:mJAR33OjUkS1uqqy7HKyKdg

but these look more discreet :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACS-PACATO-MUSIC-EARPLUGS-FOR-FESTIVALS-CONCERTS-MUSICIANS-FREE-UK-P-P-/151235970492?hash=item23365dc5bc:g:X8kAAMXQyY1TWO1k

If she won’t wear them get her to take some cotton wool so stuff in her ears – better than nothing.

Worth taking just in case she gets seated near a speaker stack.

If she doesn’t want to entertain the plugs or the cotton wool show her this :

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGcUJ2Dg3uo[/video]

maccruiskeen

Unless there’s a shoe thrower in!

It was the niece of on of my work colleague’s that threw that shoe. He claims its the most rock and roll thing anyone in his family has ever done.

CountZero

slowoldman – Member
    even a folk gig with amplification can be pretty loud

Ah I miss the days of proper acoustic folk gigs.
    I do, a bit, sadly the folk club I used to go to in Chippenham closed years ago, they used to get some good people in too, one of my favourites was a guy called Colin Scot, who’s first eponymous album had the most incredible list of rock/prog/folk luminaries on it, from the likes of The Strawbs, Genesis, Yes, Lindisfarne, Van Der Graf Generator, King Crimson…
    Sadly dead now, had a fondness for a drink or two, or three, or…
    Still, you can have amplified folk gigs that don’t require earplugs, Gemma Hayes was the last one I went to in Corsham, and it was perfect, sound-wise.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘How loud is a One Direction concert likely to be?’ is closed to new replies.