Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • How long would a printer warranty be?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s has literally done **** all work. It’s just a month over 2 years old. Go buy a new One?

mattyfez

Printers are loathsome devices.
    Depends what’s wrong with it and how expensive it was but the cheaper ones are basically just as consumable as thier cartridges.

wrightyson
    Free Member

HP and signed up to their Insta ink account which is ideal for us. It was 70 quid but really hasn’t done a lot of printing at all. Just says the cartridges are the wrong type which they are not so presuming a software fault.

thejesmonddingo

Have you tried updating software and firmware? Cleaning print heads?,changing cartridges?

mattyfez

Yeh what exactly is wrong with it?
    The cartridge can get blocked with dry ink if it’s not used regularly.. Have you tried cleaning it up and printing a bunch or random stuff to see if it sorts itself out?
    Are the cartridges seated properly?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Been sent two sets of new cartridges via hp. Still saying the same error. Plus it wontbthen let you access any of the on screen menus via the touchscreen. Think it’s borked.

Drac

Have you taken the seal off the cartridges? Not that I made that mistake recently but a friend did. 😐

mattyfez

Sound like it Yeh. As above If you can do some kind of hard reset or firmware update it might help, but I wouldn’t be too hopeful.

You could try the warranty route even though it’s out of warranty as it does sound like an inherent fault, and a printer should reasonably last more than a few years before it breaks down.

Especially given the nature of the fault, and given that you paid into using official replacement cartridges via an official channel.

You might want to brush up on consumer rights though, and prepare for a long drawn out argument!

stumpyjon

If you do decide to replace consider soending more. We were going through £70 pronters at a ridiculous rate, HP, Epsom etc. And the cartridges were expensive and printed a handfull of pages. Bought an HP office grade unit which also did A3 and had a document feeder for the scanner. Not fool proof, sometimes loses the network but other than that its been great and the cartridges seem to last. Had it nearly 4 years now so easily justified the extra initial outlay.

wrightyson
    Free Member

What sort of price was that stumpyjon?
    It’s use is going to increase I would say. Daughter year 11 next year and son yr 8.

mattyfez

I think home printers are becoming a bit on a niche thing, I very rarely need to print anything so the hassle far outweighs the need as I can print off the odd thing at work if I have to, but email has kinda taken over in that respect.

A home office might need one, if you really do need to print lots of stuff frequently, but in that case you should be maybe looking at professional laser printers rather than regular printers.

I did have a cheap HP printer scanner combo thing, but it became redundant now I have a smart phone so I can take pictures and convert them to PDF or whatever and just email them, or just email a word document. I simply don’t need a printer.

scotroutes

I very rarely need to print anything so the hassle far outweighs the need as I can print off the odd thing at work if I have to,

I simply don’t need a printer.

That’s really handy for folk that don’t have access to a printer at work. 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

You need a laser printer, which may be what stumpyjon is talking about.

Inkjets are just a massive PITA, always going wrong one way or another.

deadkenny
    Free Member

2 years under EU law. 6 under UK.

Being a printer you can easily claim it’s not fit for purpose from the start, though if they’re prepared to admit printers are not designed to last more than a few months then they can claim it’s as designed. Still, up to 6 months you say it’s broken and it’s up to them to prove you wrong or otherwise fix/replace/refund.

Inkjet printers are terrible, not just in how unreliable they are but how they’ve become such disposable items due to subsidising them with ink pricing. This has led to people considering them low value and every time it breaks down, they just chuck it out. I’m on my probably last one. It’s actually a nice all-in-one unit and more of a business model so a bit more quality to it. Scanner is nice. Even has a fax! Printing is still crap though and getting worse. Head cleaning just uses half a cartridge with two or three attempts to get it usable.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just looked at a Samsung colour laser printer 100 quid which isn’t bad but replacement toner is 85 quid.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

get a brother b and w laser printer. inkjet printers are hateful things.

ninfan
    Free Member

Have to say I have found the HP ink deal to be very good for the price

Given you can get a printer and scanner for Thirty quid and a couple of quid a month to cover ink costs, I can’t think of a better deal

soma_rich
    Free Member

Nothing useful to add, other than a baseball bat:

seadog101

Had to get a second printer in a hurry when the big nifty multi function one started to be grumpy at power up. Works, but needs faffing to make it happy.

Cheap as chips tiny Brother wifi mono laser thing. Best move I ever made, prints 95% of things we need in hard copy (mostly school work and receipts). £40 for a toner cart, but that’s about once a year so far.

chakaping
    Free Member

The toner cartridge in my laser printer lasted two or three years.

They are massive compared to inkjet capacity.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Another vote for a laser. My inkjet was forever clogging so bought myself a cheap Brother B&W wireless laser (about £60 IIRC).

Prints first time every time – no more faffing around. Ultra quick and the cartridge lasts for ages…

stumpyjon

I paid about £170 for an HP Officejet 7500, I see the 7510 which I assume is a newer version and still an Officejet rather than a despite is now around £100.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘How long would a printer warranty be?’ is closed to new replies.