Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • How long untill 11 speed xt?
  • MSP

Any chance it will be out before next summer?

tomhoward

The 85th of Julember

enigmas
    Free Member

It’s been spotted on some pro’s bikes the last few months, I’d imagine it’ll be announced during shimanos annual release around april 🙂

neilwheel
    Free Member

Any chance it will be out before next summer?

Unlikely.

jonk

New XTR tech usually trickles down after 2 years.

Northwind

In this case it might be a bit faster I think, if they want to put the hurt on SRAM (also because weird marketing things happen with XTR being the cheapest 11-speed on the market, usually there’s competitors to undercut it so they can frame it as premium but right now they can’t. “XTR: Because you’re too tight for SRAM”

orangeboy
    Free Member

Unless they improve the range to match SRAM I can’t see the point in 11 speed shimano
    But I’d guess at April

MSP

Damn them, I don’t mind paying for an xtr shifter, or even dérailleur at a push, but I won’t spunk 200 quid on a cassette. I was hoping it might trickle down quicker than usual due to the competition.

I can’t see the point in 11 speed shimano

I can’t stand sram shifters, don’t know how anybody can use them.

Northwind

orangeboy – Member

Unless they improve the range to match SRAM I can’t see the point in 11 speed shimano

Compatibility with 11 speed SRAM cassettes I think 😉

Also, the deore 11 speed cassette is going to be brilliant, costs £20 and you can take it straight down to the scrap metal dealers with a crane and sell it for twice that.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

but I won’t spunk 200 quid on a cassette

shop around

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’m a grip shift user mostly so SRAM or SRAM

What I was getting at is unless the cassette is the same spacing does shimano 11 give you anything shimano 10 and a t-Rex does not

The 10 small cog of SRAM makes a huge difference in high gear

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep 11-40t here and while it would be nice to have 1 more step in there it doesn’t really offer anything worth paying a premium for. Having just put a lot of time in on the current XT still not sure what all the fuss is about. The new bike is going SRAM Grip ASAP.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But I’d guess at April

After years of SS’ing I rarely use the 36 or 11t sprockets, let alone 42 or 10. I suspect that for most people 11-40 will be fine, and 10-42 will be something a minority of would be shimano users are drawn to (and SRAM users default to). A bit like 36t, or 34t (or way back on 8speed, 32t) were always an option but not always used.

What will help shimano is that anyone can walk into their local dealer and buy a groupset. Not needing a specific freewheeel is a big plus.

bigblackshed

I can’t remember the last time I used the 11 tooth sprocket. Why on earth would I need a 10 tooth.

12-36 with more even spaced ratios and a smaller front to get up hills. I’d rather enjoy the view but get up the hills. I’m not racing though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m glad there are so many mega strong folk on here, certainly my trail/am bike didn’t like being single ring on the 34t with 11-36. It was doable but it was hard going until the really big hills.

If you are running 1x on 9sp or SS then you probably won’t see the point of the range. If you are running 2x and realise you can cover the 90% of the range of 24/38 with a 32t chainring then you might think it’s a good idea.

njee20
    Free Member

New XTR tech usually trickles down after 2 years.

Like what? Shimano set a precedent here, previously with 9 and 10 speed in 1999 and 2011 they’ve done XTR/XT/(S)LX at the same time. I can’t see we’ll wait more than one model year for 11 speed XT. Other XTR innovations trickled down after a year – HT2 etc. many (shadow mechs, disc brakes) were introduced at XT level anyway, then trickled up to XTR.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Maybe I’m a little odd but my main bike ( enduro )
    Is single ring but I like to use it a lot.
    So for an evening ride I ride to work first then ride with friends then ride home between 40-50 miles for the day with a lot of Tarmac.
    I very much want the range 10-42 gives and also want to stay single ring on the front
    And a hub body change hardly adds much to the cost

benpinnick

I ran an 11-36 > 3 set up for a couple of years, and it worked fine. Im now running lots of variants, while X1 is nice for other reasons just than the big range, I still think an 11 > 40 range is fine for the UK. Paired with a 32 or 34 thats good for pretty much any terrain I’ve ridden in the UK depending on your fitness. I would rather see a 10 speed 11 > 40 cassette with a revised rear mech to add some cable arm clearance TBH, rather than yet another speed group set. That would sell by the bucket load.

brant
    Free Member

Also, the deore 11 speed cassette is going to be brilliant, costs £20 and you can take it straight down to the scrap metal dealers with a crane and sell it for twice that.

I laughed 🙂

pedlad

Maybe I’m a little odd but my main bike ( enduro )
    Is single ring but I like to use it a lot.
    So for an evening ride I ride to work first then ride with friends then ride home between 40-50 miles for the day with a lot of Tarmac.

I would suggest that is v unusual. And unless you really need a single ring a widespread double would be a better bet for that proportion of road. I have a 1×10 that I put on a new build but luckily only have v short or non existent flat or downhill road sections. I still find that after a good workout on the hills I’ve got no need or desire to push high gear than the 32x11x650b. I have a road bike for pushing 20mph+ for any period of time.

njee20
    Free Member

I can’t remember the last time I used the 11 tooth sprocket. Why on earth would I need a 10 tooth.

12-36 with more even spaced ratios and a smaller front to get up hills. I’d rather enjoy the view but get up the hills. I’m not racing though.

An 11-34 is wider than 12-36, unless you’re running <30t ring you’d be better served with that. I used to use 36/11 on the road to and from the trails a lot, I find 32/10 (on a 29er) a significantly taller gear, it’s a nice option to have.

scruff
    Free Member

Im sold on 1x up front even if I have to push up what were the odd granny ring too steeps. Shimano dont seem to be sold on 1x, so we’ll end up with 33 speed option and funny front mechs instead of a more useable 1x that gets not-racers up steep hills. There must be a market for 11 speed with a tiny bit bigger range than 10 speed, but the amount of high-end-on-trend OEM spec going 1×11 SRAM says otherwise.

TimCotic
    Free Member

I’m still astonished there’s been no 10-speed 11-40 cassette. It’s clearly what a huge number of peeps have wanted for the last year. They’d sell out in the snap of your fingers. I’m guessing there’s diabolical politics and marketing strategies stopping it.

kimbers

I think the issue is that the mechs arent quite perfect for a 40t cassette
    hence one ups rad cage popularity

fwiw im on 40-11 with a one up and rad cage 23t up front and i can get up and down anything iv ridden in the uk happily, id snap up an xt 11-40 xt cassette!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Kimbers +1

Shimano don’t do bodges or ‘it works but only on a few frames if you adjust it absolutely perfectly’. They only make stuff that works together perfectly.

11-40t would need a new mech too to meet that criteria. I guess they have a finite ammount of R&D, so mid term groupset tweaks are out unless absolutely nececary, a bit like 10s was to allow OEM’s to spec something other than full XT.

njee20
    Free Member

There must be a market for 11 speed with a tiny bit bigger range than 10 speed,

That’s exactly what Shimano have done with XTR, and will no doubt do with XT and SLX 😕

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, gotta respect Shimano for being stubborn and sticking to their guns when they could make a big pile of money by compromising – even if it means we don’t get what we want!

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

11-40t would need a new mech too to meet that criteria. I guess they have a finite ammount of R&D

I think Shimano have more R&D budget than OneUp tbh! And SRAM’s 10 speed mech works fine without a replacement cage. They’ve not released an 11-40 10 speed for the same reason they never released an 11-36 9-speed, they want you to buy the new thing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    Yeah, gotta respect Shimano for being stubborn and sticking to their guns when they could make a big pile of money by compromising – even if it means we don’t get what we want!

got an apple phone?
    My SRAM 10sp out the box handles 11-40 flawlessly with multishift via twisties.
    Shimano is way behind and not even matching the previous bar.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Shimano should have seen this coming, SRAM surprised them a couple of years ago by offering 10 speed setups at X5 level and up and Shimano’s response seemed rushed out the door in comparison. No complaints here though, I prefer Shimano to SRAM.

Given the staggering number of new bikes with 1×11 transmissions I would expect Shimano to have something in place long before the new model year bikes are demoed.

chakaping
    Free Member

got an apple phone?
    My SRAM 10sp out the box handles 11-40 flawlessly with multishift via twisties.

Erm, no.

But I’m glad you’re happy with your twist grip.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘How long untill 11 speed xt?’ is closed to new replies.