Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How long until we start bombing Libya then?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Britain is working with its allies on a plan to establish a military no-fly zone over Libya, says David Cameron.

The prime minister said the threat of “further appalling steps” being taken by Col Muammar Gaddafi to oppress his own people was behind the talks.

He said he did not rule out “the use of military assets” in Libya and said the “murderous regime” must end.

Harry_the_Spider

With what?

We’ve got no carriers or arcraft to operate from them.

Couple of Tornados in Cyprus I guess but the other 6 are in Afghanistan.

Cameron should stay out of it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No, a good war is just what a tory government needs…

mooman
    Free Member

… none of our buisiness. Libya is a Libyan problem.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its a gesture, like the rest of international politics.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m sure we can let the US do it from the UK like last time.

Harry_the_Spider

It would by nice to give the next war a miss. Not bombing the crap out of people hasn’t done the Germans/Swedes/Japanese/Norwegians/Danes/Swiss/etc… any harm in recent years.

legend
    Free Member

I’m sure the Navy’s Tomahawks already have their targets picked 😉

Harry_the_Spider

…unless of course there’s a deal to be done with the new leaders over oil rights… In which case… lock and load!

chewkw
    Free Member

So trying to be nosey in Dear Leaders’ business … wait until you get the people coming over to EU, actually here, en-masse demanding to be fed and housed. They will come in boat loads … can’t stop them because their countries are at war. Good excuse and waste not for such a good opportunity.

That will learn you for meddling in dear leaders’ affairs.

legend – Member

I’m sure the Navy’s Tomahawks already have their targets picked

Why? What for?

You side the Dear Leader they people think that you are helping Dear Leader to oppress the people, you support the people and the people will think that you are hypocrite for stabbing Dear Leader in the back which you might do so again to them.

🙄

carbon337
    Free Member

Just send a tomahawk in with “made in iran” painted on the side

Hohum
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member

I am sensing a very strong deja vu here…

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

QUOTE: The Southern Yeti – Member
    UNQUOTE.

Well, Iraq (Iraq 2: The Reckoning), Afghanistan, Sierra Leone, Kosovo (plus bombing of Serbia) all took place under Labour’s watch.

I don’t think the imposition of a no-fly zone by a multinational force would be a bad thing (and the UK would play a very minor role in it due to overstretch/cuts).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

He said he did not rule out “the use of military assets” in Libya and said the “murderous regime” must end.

Well Britain has been trying to overthrow the regime in Libya for many years – so I’m sure he thinks it’s worth a try. The last serious attempt made by Britain and the US to get their hands on Libyan oil was in the 1990s. When MI6 was working with al-Qaeda in Libya and channelling money to the Islamic fundamentalists. So this seems too good an opportunity to miss.

Gaddafi might be mad as a bag of frogs, but there is probably a lot of truth in his claims that Islamic fundamentalists/al-Qaeda are to a great extent behind recent events. Certainly a few years back Britain and the US thought the only realistic and viable opposition to Gaddafi in Libya came from al-Qaeda.

Of course all that was before Osama bin Ladan became very naughty and upset the US by allegedly ordering the destruction of the Twin Towers – in those days the US and Britain were more than happy for al-Qaeda to carry out acts of terrorism in the region. In fact they were fully prepared to arm them, train them, and finance them.

British intelligence paid large sums of money to an al-Qaeda cell in Libya

5thElefant
    Free Member

anokdale
    Free Member

Difficult one, having worked there for two years, got out two weeks ago when Benghazi started getting noisy, the Sky team in Tripoli are in my hotel, i want to go back soon the people hate him believe me, many folk will tell you on their own that they had family members “go to the sand” there is no way back for them now if he gets the upper hand again it will be horrific when he pays them back. The West will have to assist in some way, advice from on site “Military Observers” a no fly zone prevents him launchng from Matiga in Tripoli and the only way to do that is put up aircraft as he has nothing to match he allied airframes.

I hope the Army turns soon and does him in and eventually he and his two bad sons, Saif and Sadi get the one way paid plane ride to the Hague.

Five years ago my Ex Boss met Gaddafi with the corporations top boss from the States, they were both given the Gaddafi runnaround, car rides, chooper rides and then met him in a tent,Gaddafi speaks good English and one coment the boss heard him say was ” i hope i never see American Aircraft carriers of the coast of Libya” keep lookng out of the window sucker as you get the runnaround now 😆

anokdale
    Free Member

The AQ angle is true but he people are very fearfull of them, they want to get away from the Conservative way of life, the AQ was easy to get to start the trouble and it has worked in part but Benghazi and other Eastern cities have alway been the given a bad deal and unrest was always going to start there, he Bengazians and folk from Tobruk in our place really hate the way he has given them nothing, if you compare Sirte to Benghazi the difference is unbelievable. I have been to Tobruk many times and if the dead soldiers in the cemetries there could see what they died for they would turn in their graves.

piha
    Free Member

I don’t think the West will get involved in Libya, it would not go down in the Arab world at all well and galvanise anti West sentiment. If they did commit to troops on the ground (which I think they would have to), the odds are that they would end up with another Iraq and be bogged down for in Libya for years.

What would the West do in Libya once they got rid of Kadhafi?

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m ready, bring it on!!!

scraprider
    Free Member

theres oil there so yea it will happen,as bad as it may be we should stay out.

anokdale
    Free Member

The rest of the Arab and African Nations detest Ghaddafi, he wanted to be the King of Africa, he defied all attempts to standown as the Leader of the African Union last year and eventually the muppet in charge of Malawi got the gig, other Arab Leaders tolerate him but do not need him, dont forget he is better than them and tells them that.

votchy
    Free Member

As of saturday afternoon neither the RAF nor Army had been put on standby

TheBrick
    Free Member

These protest over Lybrary closers have gone to far. The Lybrarians will just have to retrain.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Syria & Iran are making hay…

andrewh
    Free Member

Invasion may be over the top, but a no-fly zone is required, shouldn’t be too difficult with Ark Royal and Invincible heading for the Med… What, no carriers when we need them?
    Wonder what they make of that in Buenos Aries…

rs
    Free Member

Syria & Iran are making hay…

Horses won’t go hungry then…

aracer
    Free Member

Wonder what they make of that in Buenos Aries…

I wonder what they make of the Typhoons stationed at Mount Pleasant?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Horses won’t go hungry then…

……and the Mesopotamians will invade on their chariots – drawn by well fed Arabian stallions.

Crafty feckers.

derek_starship
    Free Member

*digs out spare copy of Threads just in case*

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How long until we start bombing Libya then?’ is closed to new replies.