Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How long to train for 24 hour race – and how long to recover?
  • chrispo
    Free Member

Had a sudden urge to do a 24 hour race and suspect it’s not the sort of thing you should rush into. But just how much preparation is necessary?

Given that I already ride enough to have raced 10 and 12 hours before without any extra training, but would only do a 24 if I could do well in it, how long beforehand would I need to step up my riding hours?

And given that I’m 46, how long after until I’m back to normal?

fifeandy
    Free Member

Hard question, and depends a lot on the course, how well you can tolerate eating non-stop and how much training volume you can tolerate.
    I tried my first 24 in 2014 after doing quite well in a 10 earlier in the year. Ended up with a DNF since my wrists packed in, but by that point i was pretty gubbed anyway and was surviving rather than racing.

For me i decided to put in a performance i’d be happy with i needed at least 18 months to prepare as i need to slowly build the training volume i can handle long term. Most training plans i’ve found for 24’s seem to require 12-18hrs/wk. If you can already handle volumes like that then 6 months should be plenty for you.

As far as recovery, around 2 weeks to not be ruined, and a further 2 weeks to feel ‘normal’ on the bike.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I just ride my bike loads, sometimes fast and in short bursts, sometimes slower and for longer.

A winter of cx racing helps with speed and riding mountain and road bikes all over the shop helps with the endurance.

As for recovery, after Mayhem last year it took me a good 3 weeks to even want to ride my bike again and a good 8 weeks until I had proper speed and recovery back.

tomhoward

I’m giving myself a year to go from couch to 24hr racer.

Started going to the gym and riding more, first race on the ladder will be HTN, then doing a 43 mile off road sportive, then torq 12hr solo, culminating at relentless 24 in fort bill at the end of October. Other events will be added too

Doesn’t feel like enough time to me but ploughing on

Kryton57

Apart from being fit ebnough for the duration which is basically lots of zone 2 and the avoidsancve of gong too hard anytime ever during the race, soe advice I was given was to ride a local loop endlessly round and a round once a weekend. You need to get used to saddle time and the relative mental monotony.

In addition, whilst keeping yourself safe get used to some sleep deprivation & night riding so its easier to go through the night. Also, google and have a think about 24hr strategy specifically the mentality. Lots of riders use different techniques such as milestobes etc to look forward to over the 24hrs to keep them mentally focussed or to prevent a drop in morale.

Physical recovery os probably 3-7 days depending on you. Mental, never 😀

jonnyboi

I did my first last year after six weeks notice, I’m 45.

Obvious thing is to actually enter it, ASAP that way you’ve got your motivation sorted. Kielder chiller is on soon if you’re mad. Twentyfour12 is in Plymouth in July and relentless is October.

My disclaimer is I had already done 8 and 10 hour races. If you can do those you can do a 24hr. After a point it’s just about keeping fed, keeping motivated and keeping going. Some guys I know quit after 5 hours, 10 or kept going until something broke and they physically had to stop so it’s definitely about your mental toughness.

Make sure you have a pit crew, they are invaluable

chrispo
    Free Member

Thanks, some useful answers there. I’m going to have to have a good long think about the mental side. I get bored after 6 hours and I hated the second half of the Bristol 12 hour. I don’t think I ate enough, which didn’t help. But after I got lapped by the leader I just wanted to go home. Maybe doing a pairs or fours would be good prep for overnight thing.

teamslug
    Free Member

I’ve done 3 over the last 3 years now and 50 y.o now. Took at least a month to recover. Felt good but as soon I was climbing the fatigue was straight there. Just ride lots. Long steady and quick short. I taper for a week then nothing week before. Accept that the fast solo guys are on another planet and enjoy the pain!.

chrispo
    Free Member

Accept that the fast solo guys are on another planet and enjoy the pain!.

No way. If I’m not on that planet I’m not playing!!

DickBarton

25 hours…train for longer then go hard during race as it is shorter.

singlespeedstu

I get bored after 6 hours and I hated the second half

Not a criticism, but why would you want to do a 24 when you were bored after 6 hours.
    I’ve done a couple of 12 hours and got so bored by it that the last thing i’d want to do is do a 24.

chrispo
    Free Member

Fair point Stu. I suppose it’s like doing an iron man or something. Something to tick off. I feel I ought to be able to do one and do well. But yeah, maybe it is just a stupid idea.

sockpuppet

after I got lapped by the leader I just wanted to go home.

The last 24 I did, the leader (on average) lapped me every lap!! A 24 is a rather different challenge than a 12, and it’s not fitness. If you can sit on the bike for 12 hours you’ll be fine for more IMO; as you already realised I think, it’s a mental challenge really.

Very satisfying though, mostly after the fact rather than at the time!

jonnyboi

No point trying to race a sponsored twenty something at our age. Set yourself a realistic personal goal. Actually finishing then getting into the top half of the table is a good start 🙂

hofnar
    Free Member

Interesting. Where would you guys set the rev limiterin % of treshold heartrate?
    i have entered some 550k non stop even in slightly hardcore african terrain. i have cruised the route before in six days But this time round would at least wanna do sub 4 possibly sub 3 days. Have done 15h on the bike at once but fear the sleep deprivation. Have a tendance to ride a bit to hard too so need some handbrake setting guidance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How long to train for 24 hour race – and how long to recover?’ is closed to new replies.