Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How long to receive a new V5C if you're a new owner?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Sent the V62 form off on 24/07 and wondering how long I will have to wait. DVLA say 2-4 weeks, but I am bored so thought I would poll the hive mind of STW for some answers 8)

hora
    Free Member

Who sent it off? The previous owner is supposed to post it off.

You should have received it by now IMO.

flipiddy
    Free Member

6 Weeks

Although mine took 4 months to get sorted due the dyslexic salesman at the dealership 🙁

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

It should be 4 weeks, but can be slower if you are unable to provide all the details such as VIN.

Jamie will have sent the V62 off as he hasn't been sent his V5C yet. We've had this problem earlier in the year with a car dealer that required us to request the V5C, never got to the bottom of what happened, dealer just kept saying wait another week, tosser.

Jamie
    Free Member

hora
    Who sent it off? The previous owner is supposed to post it off.

Dammit! I forgot the hive included Hora 😉

It should be 4 weeks, but can be slower if you are unable to provide all the details such as VIN.

Included the VIN details on the form so hopefully that helps a bit.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Should do. Did you also have the little green slip that means you avoid paying £25 to the DVLA?

hora
    Free Member

missingfrontallobe this can happen when they are hiding the real numbers of previous keepers on the V5 as well.

Jamie
    Free Member

Should do. Did you also have the little green slip that means you avoid paying £25 to the DVLA?

There was no original V5C. So applying for a new one as the new owner, so no green tear off. Which obviously meant I had to pay the buggers £25.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

hora – Member
    missingfrontallobe this can happen when they are hiding the real numbers of previous keepers on the V5 as well.

Have seen the original V5C, so know that we're the third owner on paper, second keeper was supplying dealer. Car dealer can't prevent anyone getting the V5C they're entitled to, and if they've told a lot of porkies I'd be round to see them and sort it out pretty sharpish.

hora
    Free Member

and if they've told a lot of porkies I'd be round to see them and sort it out pretty sharpish.

Arnold Clark tried it on with me. Said they couldn't show me the original V5 as it was 'data protection'. Turned out the first owner was Enterprise Rental. I found this out as I kicked off and said I was walking away from the deal unless they showed me the V5. Showed it to me and I walked.

A common trick of some is to say the V5 is 'in the system' and 'be assured' it'll be on its way to you etc. It shows up 5 weeks later as having additional previous owners but the sales team know that by then you'll be happy with the car and just shrug/chalk it upto experience. Plus its what the salesman verbally said (and hes left now/wasn't authorised to say or promise that or do you have that bit in writing as we'd never have said that sir').

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How long to receive a new V5C if you're a new owner?’ is closed to new replies.