Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How long till I can get my collar bone shaved?
  • glenh
    Free Member

Obviously I need to go and speak to the doc about this but I broke my collar bone 6 months ago and the orthopedics guy said at the time that if it still had the sharp pointy end sticking out after it's healed (which it does), then I could get it shaved down.

It's fully functional now, so I guess the healing is pretty much complete, but the sharp end of the break gets really sore if anything like rucksac straps run on it, so I think I definitely need to get it sorted, but how soon will they do this? Presumably they need to let it heal enough first?

Anyone who's had this done have any idea?

midlifecrashes

MTFU and Dremel it

glenh
    Free Member

Lol. I'm sort of imagining that that's what the surgeon will do anyway 😕

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

What? I was never presented with that option! Broke mine about 3 years ago and it's a right mess – sticks up right where I want to put rucksack straps and there are various ligament type things being squidged around in an uncomfortable fashion.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I managed to achieve a separated shoulder at the weekend, tearing off 2 sets of ligaments. My collarbone is cantilevered right up at the end, but there is a bunch of overlying muscles holding it down. The consultant said I was fortunate to have muscled shoulders that kept things in place.

Perhaps some shoulder specific exercises could build up some 'padding'?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I was desparatly trying to remember orthopaedic stuff I learnt years ago – had a google and found this http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/bone_fracture/6_bone_remodelling.php

at 6 months I think it might be a bit soon for sure I am not sure tho

genesis
    Free Member

12months minimum. I've bust both of mine, had one shaved as the end of it looked like a carving fork under the skin.

steveh

Your body automatically does this over time. When it repairs a bone it grows far more than necessary and then over time takes more away to smooth the area. My collarbone break ended up with 2 sharp pointy bits (1 pointing up and 1 down) due to the way I broke it and these were very sharp at first but over a year to 18 months they smoothed out and are fine now.

glenh
    Free Member

Hmmm.. 12 months till I can get it shaved / 18 months it might fix itself?

I'm supposed to be going on an exped to some unclimbed mountains in the summer. Guess I might just have to get some extra shoulder padding or something 😐

genesis
    Free Member

Still suffer a little with bony bits sticking up when I wear a pack.

rs
    Free Member

see if hairychested will sort you out once he's finished shaving his sacks

mudshark
    Free Member

Mine sticks out a bit but has rounded off OK; slight discomfort at times but nothing to worry about.

samuri
    Free Member

bones don't grow hairs silly.

t-p26
    Free Member

I had a good surgeon by the sounds of things..
    Skin was "tight" on bone end. pined and plated 10 years ago, all I need to shave is my chin 😉

gringerd
    Free Member

Having broken mine in March 2008 I had a lump but had regained full function until october last year. Then I started getting soreness in the arm and the shoulder.
    Consultant looked at the x-ray and showed the 2 pieces in non-union so at the start of this month I got it re broken pinned and plated to put it back together properly. Not fun but at least it'll heal during the winter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How long till I can get my collar bone shaved?’ is closed to new replies.