Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • How long should a suspension fork last?
  • tomtomthepipersson

Bless me father for I have sinned. I have never serviced any of the forks I’ve owned – from the lowly Quadra 5 (1995 or there abouts) through to my current Foxes, all have been abused, neglected and generally left feeling unloved. I consider myself a bad, bad man and my head is hung in shame.

On the plus side I’ve saved myself a bloody fortune.

richc
    Free Member

You could have saved yourself even more and just got some suntour forks, as they would work better than your never serviced foxes

Mind you, they wouldn’t have had the right label 😉

greeble
    Free Member

You could have saved yourself even more and just got some suntour forks, as they would work better than your never serviced foxes

where’s the facebook like button when you need it

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

My experience of riding buddies who never service their fork, is that they just don’t notice the gradual decrease in performance. I think what 99% of people need is something that prioritises low maintenance and reliablity over weight and performance, what they get sold/choose to buy is a high maintenance stiff lightweight fork with the bare minimum of oil and nothing to protect the stanchions.

tomtomthepipersson

Mind you, they wouldn’t have had the right label

Yeah, sorry I bought them before it was cool to not like them. It won’t happen again. 8)

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

OK so which forks have the longest service interval?

15 hrs is just ridiculous even if it is only a 10 minute job.

High performance motorbike shocks (Ohlins) have a service interval of
    Racing: Every 10-20 hours of operation.
    Regular street use: Every 30000 km – which would make them a service free item on a ‘normal’ mtb

Can anyone explain this huge disparity?

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ll be buying fox next time. I don’t mind paying a bit more for performance (and I like the way they perform more than anything else I’ve tried) but the service intervals and warranty from mojo makes them a bit of a dumb buy. There’s more choice nowadays and fox don’t seem to have noticed.
    Whoever made the sun tour comment has obviously never used either mind you.

james
    Free Member

“Crown Steerer
    Lower TALAS assembly
    Stanchions”
    I thought the CSU was one piece (comprising steerer, crown and stantions)
    Either way how do you knacker the crown or steerer? Cable rub on the crown? Crash into something and your wheel doesnt give? You need to change the steerer standard?

“the rear shock which you cannot do yourself”
    You can do at least the air sleeve/shaft/main seals yourself
    With Rockshox you CAN service it all yourself, or at least the manual for my monarch appears to include everything (Ive yet to do so). It suggests using air instead of nitorgen if you dont happen to have the correct nitrogen filling equipment ..

“which forks have the longest service interval”
    Maybe* shimano, bontrager, kona, salsa, on-one, niner, exotic, superstar, nukeproof, etc etc ..
    Or did you mean suspension forks?
    Marzocchi 3 year interval?

*guessing carbon rigid forks probably want inspecting all the time? though technically Id guess you’re supposed to inpect all of your bike?

“15 hrs is just ridiculous even if it is only a 10 minute job.
    Racing: Every 10-20 hours of operation”
    eh?
    if you’re going to equate things, then regular street use would be like road commuting on a MTB?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I tried lifting the seals, but they wouldn’t budge and I scratched the stanchion by accident.

I tried getting the lowers off but they would not release no matter how hard I whacked the nut

This is why I don’t service my forks – it’s too difficult.

And I wont buy Fox again. I only have these because they came on the bike, and they track very nicely, if a bit wibbly feeling. So they will soon be totally worn out (already weeping oil a bit) and I can look forward to getting some RS or Zochis

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Nicknoxx – Member
    Racing: Every 10-20 hours of operation.
    Regular street use: Every 30000 km – which would make them a service free item on a ‘normal’ mtb
    Can anyone explain this huge disparity?

I would expect even a Fox fork would last 30000km of street use, between services, however I like to ride my bike on dust mud sand gravel rocks so I have a pair of 2002 Marzocchi Bomber Z1s.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘How long should a suspension fork last?’ is closed to new replies.