Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • How long should a Shimano pressfit MTB BB last?
  • hora
    Free Member

New in April/May last year. Good grounds for warranty or wear and tear?

It’s sticking/very grouchy.

thepurist

How long should they last? A lot longer than they do in the real world. 8 months is more than some…

dorsetknob
    Free Member

I used to get 3-4 months then tried Praxis not much better now on a Hope bb going strong after 8 months of riding in filthiest of conditions.

Bregante

To be fair hora, when they sold you the bike they must never have thought for a second that you’d keep it for 8 months….

tomhoward

What time did you fit it?

benw
    Free Member

Hope stainless last forever (Nearly)I got sick of constantly changing Shimano

Drac

**** off have you had a bike that long.

hora
    Free Member

End of April I got my sik rad gnarly steed. 8)

singlespeedstu

One wet ride then leaving the bike for 8 months.
    I’m not surprised the BB is ****.

edhornby

Take the bb out, post it to BETD and pay online for a bearing swap, it will come back with top quality bearings that will last and last

jimw
    Free Member

To answer the original question, the one on my Canyon is still fine after nearly three years regular use. I guess I was lucky. Others in my cycling group have had them fail after 6months or so.

hora
    Free Member

It should be fit for purpose. I think I’ll get a credit note and buy hope.

amedias
    Free Member

As usual whenever this question comes up, time is irrelevant, miles and conditions is important

Have you been riding it every day in all weather? Probably got more than your money’s worth
    Have you ridden it twice in the summer ? Probably not

nickc

New in April/May last year

In your Commencal? a BB71? that’s pretty good TBH. they’re just bit of plastic after all. I got used to buying two at a time and treating them as disposable

hora
    Free Member

I ride twice a week in the Peak district (or Calderdale). A mountain bike product should work in mountains in all weather – a fair statement? 🙂

Edit: nickc yes in my Meta v4. I bumped into two lads at the top of Hope cross last week on V4’s and they said the same- they used to be serial bikeswappers until they got a V4. How often do the frames come up in classifieds? 8)

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

About 500 miles in my experience. I’ll never buy another bike with a press fit BB again.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’ll not have much in the way of bike choice then Andy.

Bearings are a consumable item, 8 months is not warranty material.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

He’s nailed it.

BETD p’rolly a good call.

amedias
    Free Member

Well if that’s the case I’d say you’ve got your money’s worth, couple of rides a week is what 2000 – 2500 miles maybe being conservative, in all weathers. I’d be happy with that.

If you’re riding all through winter in proper filth it can kill them pretty damn quick, especially if you’re in an area with that proper nasty grinding paste style mud that gets into everything!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Better than my SRAM one on the DH bike. Washed it once after a muddy ride with hose and it was seized the next time I went to it. It had done 6 weeks before that. Seals were shocking

mikewsmith
    Free Member

General answer longer than it does but probably not as long as you think.
    Good luck with not fit for purpose, you would need to define what is fit for purpose and how it didn’t match that along with how you looked after it unless somebody wants to be generous.

Having had numerous deaths of BB’s from Shimano I ended up with a quality one from hope, they outlast bikes.

The time and miles thing is only really relevant to summer roadies too, the how and what are more important. Years ago when questioning the longevity of a pair of climbing shoes the guy in the shop did say I could have got a good couple of years out of the shoes rather than the 3 months if I didn’t use them 5 times per week on rough grit. Same with bike stuff, the peak is probably one of the harshest places on bikes over winter so will expose any weakness in kit very quickly. By some of the PF tales 8 months could be close to a record.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

**** off have you had a bike that long

But he has changed:
    3 sets of forks
    2 different shocks
    26″ wheels
    650b wheels
    26″ on the front 650b on the back
    650b on the front 26″ on the back
    2 different dropper posts

I know he is dying for a bronson

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Much like riding a steel bike all year round in the rain? FFS.

hora
    Free Member

Evening’ You’d ride a nice steel roadbike all year round? (In the old days there was no other choice). Keep the nice steel ones for dry weather IMO. posh.com

Anyway hats off to CRC- replacing it unseen. Trust and good customer service. I’ll send the new one straight to BETD.

amedias
    Free Member

Yes I would, and I do, just like a very large number of other people, steel doesn’t melt in the rain you know…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yes.

The components are the only annoyance. Dura Ace calipers, rear especially, don’t last more than a couple of seasons bad weather.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

And asking how long a bottom bracket should last is probably one of the dafter questions.

Could be a week if it’s fitted by an imbecile, or 5+ years if its fitted properly. Or it could be the other way round.

It’s like customers bring bikes back with punctures, 3 months after you last replaced the tyre and tube, saying they want their money back.

andytherocketeer

well it should last longer than an an ISIS one.

why have a BB with the longevity of cup+cone, when you can have one that’s designed from the outset to be a consumable?

(yup still running my original 1989 and 1996 C+C)

hora
    Free Member

Ghostlymachine my old XTR rear mech last 10yrs+ in countless frames fitted by me.

The fact that people say Shimano pressfits arent fantastic and a.n.other lasts alot longer says something about the product not the installer.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Unless the design is less tolerant of cack-handedness or incorrect alignment.

Which it is.

hora
    Free Member

Or the design is global design and not UK (designed) specific.

eshershore
    Free Member

all the mid to high spec Giant bikes we sell use Shimano press fit BB’s

typically, a customer gets a good year out of one? unless jetwashing constantly

I’ve found they tend to creak more than suffer bearing failure, and the creaking is easily remedied with removal and refitting with a good dollop of Finish Line teflon grease

hora
    Free Member

I tend not to wash my bike every ride- only the cassette/chain/ring & stanchion wipe/lube. This isn’t a creak-more a dry rumble. I suspect the seals weren’t designed for constant wet gloop/grit.

I thought I was doing well on 8months. Remember square taper BB’s? Ever kill one of those?? The price we pay for lighter and thus sometimes ..flimsier? constructed products.

amedias
    Free Member

Remember square taper BB’s? Ever kill one of those??

Yep, worst one was when I killed a brand new (as in fitted the day before) UN52 over a single 24hr race, conditions were horrendous though and I lost a pair of hub bearings, chainring and full set of cables at the same time so I’m not surprised.

All stuff can fail if subject to either misuse, neglect or just persistent harsh conditions, Shimano BBs may not be the best out there but trying to portray them as some kind of not fit for purpose con is just plain wrong.

davosaurusrex

Anyone have the BB creaking like a mofo for the first few miles and then quieten right down? Just got my first bike with a pressfit and it did this on Sunday. Assume it’s down to the bike being in a cold garage and the metal cups contracting and then expanding again when used. Sure the grease trick esher shore mentions would work, is this a competent home mechanic job or one for the Lbs?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

this says more about how you ride (or how much), or your tolerance for worn out, badly set up kit than it does your ability as a mechanic.

And square taper, disposable. Yearly.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘How long should a Shimano pressfit MTB BB last?’ is closed to new replies.