• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How long is your bike "new"
  • mattkkitch

The inevitable day has come! It’s time for the first serious service on my new bike. Investigating a little rattle after my latest ride revealed play in the frame bearings, bottom bracket and headset, as well as a sticky dropper post and grinding hub bearings. My new bike is no longer new. I can’t complain, it’s lasted a good 18 months of hard use without any major issues, but I’m still sad.

How long does your new bike feel new?

rone

I ride my bikes a lot and they’re not cheap so I like to preserve their newness.

I reckon 18months is about right for feeling new or 6 months this winter.

(I suppose it actually depends on miles/condition rather than time actually.)

bikebouy
    Free Member

CX’er ? if use properly about 3 months.
    Roadie ? If used properly about 9 months.

everyone
    Free Member

Until the first scratch presumably?

Daffy

Interesting question, especially as you’ve related it to worn components. I’ve never really had a new bike. New to me, but not NEW new.

I tend to use components which require more frequent servicing, but never wear out. CK Headsets, Hubs and BBs. I also tend to replace drivetrain parts before worn out, as I’m hyper sensitive to play/loose components.

My bikes all still feel novel to me, but most on here would consider them as being old.

mattkkitch

I’m not a keen mechanic, in fact I’ve been heard to say I hate bikes but love biking, so it’s when maintenance becomes a hassle! Hopefully moving to a house with a garage soon though so that might improve. I’ve been lucky its last so long!

FOG

According to the wife, twenty years. According to me, twelve months tops.

eshershore
    Free Member

New bike does not feel new for very long if properly used in anger. Wear and tear is offset by constant maintenance, and replacement of worn parts (chain,cassette, brake blocks) before they damage other components.

Happy trails!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Until you need a new one.

singlespeedstu

New bikes normally 3 or 4 rides before they need something doing to them.
    Some people seem to be able to ignore all kinds of not rightness. I’m not one of them.

andysredmini
    Free Member

One ride. After building when new and unused they normally live in the dining room but regardless of how many thousands of pounds it cost it just gets put in the garage with the rest after that.

matt_outandabout

Until you need a new one

+1

Mine is 5 years in, triggers broom parts, and still my ‘new’ bike..

IdleJon

Mine is 5 years in, triggers broom parts, and still my ‘new’ bike..

Yeah, I’m the same. My cross bike has just got some new wheels, it’s first upgrade, after owning it for 2 and 1/2 years. I still think of it as my new bike.

tomaso
    Free Member

Five months to make my Reign turn to rusty sh!t£

Headset and BB all good. Forks and shock serviced. Reverb is gonna need some love soon.

TiRed

First scratch or chip.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How long is your bike "new"’ is closed to new replies.