• This topic has 42 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • How long does it take you to get out for a ride?
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

Clothes on
    Fill bladder
    Bag (check spares and tools)
    Bike check – tyres need a little pump
    Start strava – forget to start GPS, wait for GPS signal

30 mins it took me today, then it started raining when I got out the gate.

How long does it take you?

somouk
    Free Member

Probably between 15-20 minutes, for shorter rides where i just want to get out I throw a bottle of water in to the Osprey instead of putting the reservoir in.

I try and keep the tyres well topped up as well to avoid having to do it when I want to ride which helps.

ton

as long as it takes to put my shoes on, 1 minute at most.

spud-face

I’m off for a ride at 6am this morning, so call it 14hrs prep* so far with an eye getting out <24hrs late.

*extra nap + shopping for more shiny bits on the web + thinking really hard about putting the new forks on the bike for a test run + another nap.

🙄

(If I’m actually meeting someone, then it reliably takes me about 15 mins longer than I budget for – so about 1/2hr all in.)

m360
    Free Member

30 mins is enough time for me to get out of bed, eat breakfast, use bathroom, get dressed and be on the bike heading to work!

Water bottle, 30 seconds to fill.
    Tools always in bag.
    Clothes – I wear them anyway (mostly).
    GPS and Strava stuff? Don’t have any of that.
    Bike check – usually when I have a spare half-hour during the week. How often does it need checking?

Just get out and ride!

jools182
    Free Member

However long it takes always seems too long

I think I need a bike butler just to get everything ready for me

fatbiker
    Free Member

@m360 – “Clothes – I wear them anyway (mostly).”

I may have read this wrong but I now have a most unsatisfactory mental image . Thanks NOT ! PMSL

(Sorry I’m tired LOL)

Fatbiker

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Bit obsessive here about having the bikes ready to ride. Clothes and shoes on, bottle filled, out the door.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Normally five to ten minutes longer than I say it will…..
    From rolling out my pit to out the door an hour but that includes sorting everything out last minute, breakfast, meds, and ablutions and getting dressed…..then finding I’ve forgotten either glasses or gloves and having to go back in house for them 😆

cloudnine
    Free Member

According to my ride preparation spreadsheets.. 18.34mins for a road ride and 21.26mins for mtb.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Depends if the wife has hidden ‘Put my shoes/ kit/ bottles etc somewhere safe’ 😕

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If I’m riding locally, as long as it takes me to change into my five tens and get the bike out. I maintain my bikes pretty well, and have them set up tubeless, and can quite happily ride for a few hours without water. I love the liberating feeling of riding local trails without a pack on, try to avoid a pack as much as I can these days.

If I have a bigger day in the hills planned, I’ll get everything ready the night before, so I just need to roll out of bed, grab coffee and beans on toast and off I go.

torihada
    Free Member

Tomorrow meet at LBS for local ride at 7am.

Up at 5:45. Gear all ready night before. Breakfast & ablutions. Put bike rack on car, load bike, bags helmet etc in car. Leave 6:30. 20 mins to LBS (I know, not really my LBS if it’s 20 mins drive away) to ride at 7pm. It’s a PITA but worth it once out. One of the downsides of living in the city.

ThePinkster

2.5 months so far and about another 3 before I get to actually pedal the bloody thing.

Gonna take that long before I’m fit again.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Anywhere between 2 minutes and 2 weeks.

asbrooks

One of the downsides of living in the city.

No local trails here either, hour and half drive to the nearest 🙁

wilburt
    Free Member

Get up
    Coffee
    Poo
    Dress
    Bottles
    Air in tyres
    Lube chain
    Pump/tube in Jersey
    Go.

johnhe

Normally my tires and shock/forks don’t need to be touched, and my pack is always ready to go (except for filling the bladder). I’d say 5-10 mins, almost all of which is changing into my bike clothes.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I reckon on 10 minutes, and it actually takes an hour.

Same with bike fettling.

Seems to take an extra 15 minutes between getting out the door and starting the car, even though it logically can only be 2 minutes.

I’d swear there’s some kind of time hole thing round my house.

That’s my excuse anyway for always being late, as people who ride with me know 😀

prawny

If I’m going out before work my alarm goes off at 5.30, I’m normally closing the garage door before 5.45

Generally check the bike over either after a ride, or when I’ve got 5 minutes in the week. One of the handy things about hardtails, not a fat lot to check.

yunki
    Free Member

can take me a day or two at the moment

procrastination is a real illness y’all

darrenspink
    Free Member

I’d swear there’s some kind of time hole thing round my house.

You too eh.

binners

‘Getting ready’? Just grab your shit and **** off out!

Northwind

I usually keep my kit apart from water ready to go, took me about an hour to get ready today though as all my kit’s still messed up after a holiday. Having my stuff ready to go’s made the difference between riding and not, quite a few times…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

5 hours today when I left and realised my front brake was contaminated. Normally 20mins to change and put kit together add on 40 mins for breakfast and cofffee.

Scapegoat

Inteminable middle-aged faffage schedule:

Decide to go for a ride.
    Log onto mapping website and trace a likely looking route.
    Get distracted and check emails.
    Send trace to Garmin.
    Wonder whether I need a poo.
    Decide I don’t and put on bibshorts, baggies, jersey and socks.
    Walk five paces and decide I do need a poo after all.
    Remove jersey, bibs and visit bathroom.
    Replace clothing.
    Discover this week’s brand new hiding place for shoes, decided on by domestic manager.
    Ditto gloves.
    Remove three day old water from Camelbak bladder and notice small brown flaky stuff in tube and mouthpiece. Fill a water bottle with squash instead.
    Open Camelbak internal pocket and remove three day old banana skin and some damp smelling item of clothing.
    Check toolkit pocket. Rummage to make sure I’ve got powerlinks, then spend a happy ten minutes trying to remember where I put the 5mm allen key.
    Look for garage and D lock keys.
    Swear.
    Unlock garage and discover the bike I want is now three bikes down in the pile.
    Unchain and move top two bikes.
    Check tyre pressures on today’s bike.
    Look for car key.
    Swear.
    Locate car key and put bike in car.
    Locate helmet and wince at smell from padding and straps.
    Wonder where I’ve left the Garmin.
    Retrieve Garmin from computer desk.
    Exit house, locking the door and get into car.
    Realise water bottle is still on kitchen table.
    Swear……..

darrenspink
    Free Member

Oh dear

flannol
    Free Member

Does noone shower before they ride?

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

I give my bike a look over at the end of each ride, so doesn’t take me long to get started. Get changed, fill up water, gloves, helmet and shoes on then I’m off. Ten minutes at the most?

MoreCashThanDash

Been up 30 minutes, had coffee, breakfast, made tea for MrsMC, fed the guinea pigs, done the pre-ride weight loss thing, got the bottles done.

Bike was sorted last night, will now spend a leisurely half hour letting breakfast digest and getting dressed in something warmer than i had hoped.

weeksy

Been up 40 mins, had pancakes and drinks… just waiting for 7.58 for all the lads to get kitted up and will be out of the door.

I can’t see why it takes more than 5 minutes

slider888
    Free Member

Alarm set for 6.30… snooze snooze snooze blumin heck its 8 a clock. Up, breakfast made & devoured oo look monty don’s on?! Still sat on the couch an hour after getting up & an hour after I’d planned on being out

m360
    Free Member

Can’t see the point in that 😕

michaelmcc
    Free Member

About 40 mins for me but sometimes over an hour. How do I manage to faff about so much.

lunge

Under 30 mins. I like to have everything ready the night before, bike prepped, bottles/bladder filled, clothes out. When I commute in I’m generally on my bike within 15 mins of my alarm going off.

grum
    Free Member

Generally 5-10 minutes to get ready for a local ride – unless there’s something up with my bike that I’ve forgotten about.

chrishc777
    Free Member

If it’s a morning ride or I’m meeting someone then 10 minutes.
    If it’s an afternoon ride about 3 hours.
    Should I eat first?
    No.
    Get kit ready.
    Sit on the loo considering route.
    Get kit on.
    By this time I decide I really should eat something.
    Sit on loo considering food options.
    etc etc

tenfoot

Forget about that, Try this –

theprancinghorse
    Free Member

Check bike night before a ride make sure no punctures, then bathroom, dressed, CamelBak filled with water and then off… And then wait 20 minutes for tardy mates to arrive… And then another twenty minutes chatting before eventually riding so an hour in reality 😉

moniex
    Free Member

When riding with the husband and kids in morzine this summer it seemed to take ….

Forever!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘How long does it take you to get out for a ride?’ is closed to new replies.