Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • How long does Innerleithen XC take?
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

It says 2-4 hours on the FC site but that's a pretty wide range!

For a relatively fit person I'm guessing it's nearer 2?

Alex

druidh
    Free Member

Nearer 2 even for me – and I'd not class myself as "relatively fit".

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Took me 2 hours on a 5" Trek EX8 and I ride 3 times a week. So allow for 3!
    But I did slow down to allow the less fit guys catch up.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Thanks

craig1975
    Free Member

took me about 2 hrs on my own and that was with stopping at the top to put my knee pads on.. I'm probably average fitness wise (i think)

carbon337
    Free Member

It seems to take forever to get to the top I know that much.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

If you dont keep stopping or take any of the fun extras its more like 1.5 hrs.

jedi

ages if me and my lot are there 🙂

NewRetroTom

Less than an hour and a half when I did it on Sunday. Not sure exactly how long though as I wasn't timing it.

Spaceman
    Free Member

Easily under two hours if not stopping/chatting etc. And i'm not fit by any means. Great trail.

crikey
    Free Member

Top tip: rag round it, finish at the bottom, turn right, ride along the road, carefully avoiding any cars, especially those containing local Driving Instructors, then ride round and do the last bit again, only quicker this time.

GW
    Free Member

Don't think I've ever done it in under 3 hours, riding (as opposed to racing)'s not about how long it takes you, it's about how much fun you can have doing it. 😉

jedi

gw, we deffo do the down bits quick 🙂

high5

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Im pretty sure you could get under an hour if you rode it all fast and didnt stop…new challenge!

GW
    Free Member

pretty sure I couldn't.

Hi5 Jedi, Aye deffo 😀

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Alex – I'd say nearer 2 if youre not in a group. Im not that fit (the red xc was my "training" for the CRC Selkirk Marathon which I finished in 6:30 which was at the wrong end of the middle of the 85k field) and the climb to Minch Moor takes me 60 mins +/- 4. The "down" which includes a moderate chunk of fireroad climbing takes around 35 – 40 mins. I did 3 laps in 5 hours including refilling with water etc in the car park.

If I wasnt a lard arse – I could…. well there's no point in speculating:)

jedi

high5

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I did it with a beginner last week. It took us 3 hours but we missed Plora whatsit an did the Make or Brake DH section instead.

eckinspain
    Free Member

I'd say nearer 2 if youre not in a group

hmmmm, there will be 19 of us with a mix of abilities – maybe we should take tents 🙂

I was planning it as part of a longer (50km) route that goes to Selkirk, but now I'm a bit worried that the whole thing is just going to be too long for the group.

Garry_Lager

It's quick on your own – but for 19 people you can probably multiply any time stated here by two.
    A good extension that lengthens the XC out without going all the way to Selkirk is to take the SUW (once you're on it after Minch moor) to the three brethren, then down to the village in the valley and back up. This is a popular route – I've seen it described a few place on the web. Good route for a nice day as the views are great.

singlespeedstu

I know someone that rode a rigid singlespeed round there so fast that his dust is still floating around in the atmosphere. 😉

eckinspain
    Free Member

Garry, that's brilliant, thanks. Sounds ideal. Do you know what the village in the valley is called? Do you mean Broadmeadows/Yarrowford?

Garry_Lager

Broadmeadows -described here. (That map includes an extra loop from the village that I've not done)

kevonakona
    Free Member

SSS, oh that'll be me, Smee had front end bounce that day.

coopersport1
    Free Member

The trail maps always seem to ere on the very catious side for timings e.g. W2 and Skyline at Afan both say 4-7hrs, both of which are easily achievable without killing yourself in sub 3hrs. If your semi fit and ride often then knock a bit of the shortest time suggested.
    That's assuming most of the people on here actually get out and ride their bikes as much as they do talk about them 😉 😆

richmtb

I'd say in a large group 3 hours is realistic but you may well get round in less if the farting about is kept to a minimum.

The last few times I've been I've done Inners in the morning and GT red in the afternoon

Three_Fish
    Free Member

When will this group of 19 be there?

singlespeedstu

kevonakona – Member

SSS, oh that'll be me, Smee had front end bounce that day.

Two lots of atmospheric dust for the price of one then. 😆

eckinspain
    Free Member

When will this group of 19 be there?

Sunday 29th. Then Monday 30th round Glentress before heading up to the Cairngorms.

I'm bringing a group of Spaniards to Scotland for a week to show them the riding, the beer, the trail centres, the beer and the scenery. It's turning into the most stressful holiday I've ever had but hopefully will be worth it in the end! STW has been a great help actually, and I had a possible offer of a guide for this route from Innerleithen but I've just discovered the local has been blocked from the forum and I now can't get in touch with him!

Though with all these maps I think we'll be alright without a guide.

hels
    Free Member

I could maybe help with guiding some Spaniards around Inners on the 29th, sounds like fun.

Are they all lycra wearing light hardtail types ?

Ole !

kevonakona
    Free Member

Actually i'd be happy to come on the if you want more help with "guiding" obviously Hels kicks my ass but you know if you wanted to split the groups and give options. Although my spanish is limited. 😕

I had great fun at a race in Spain at Easter

radoggair
    Free Member

1 hr 11 mins for me was a time i remember well. I set off slightly behind this bunch of guys, by the time i done a lap i still managed to get to the top of minch moor on my 2nd lap before they got to the top on their first. Not bragging, just saying like 😛

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I seem to remember doing it in 1 hr 15, just over 40 minutes to the top of the Minch Moor but I may have my rose tinted specs on 😆

Great riding towards Selkirk as Garry_Lager says.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Wow – thanks Kev and Hels. Just seen this and that's a very kind offer. I'll be in touch!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

had a possible offer of a guide for this route from Innerleithen but I've just discovered the local has been blocked from the forum and I now can't get in touch with him!

Smee? someone will have his email

radoggair
    Free Member

Smee – now edinburgh based

martinxyz
    Free Member

Once you finish a lap,how far do you ride on the road to get back onto the final section for another blast?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

No road. As far as I can remember you can climb up the first bit of the XC and then follow signs to Caddon Bank.

hels
    Free Member

There are only two important words for mountain biking Spanish Kev – "facil" and "dificil" saved my life more than once I am sure !

hels
    Free Member

For double Cadonbank-ness I reckon just ride up the DHers push up track. That gives you the option of that nice bit of single-track off to the right as you look down at the town along the wall, which rejoins after the roller coaster bit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘How long does Innerleithen XC take?’ is closed to new replies.