Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • how long do you leave off riding after a cold
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

so, I’m feeling shocking at the moment, wheezy, cough, sweats blah blah blah. I havn’t been on my bike for over three weeks* now as the two weeks previous to getting this cold I’ve been sh!tting thorugh the eye of a needle with a bug I picked up on a work trip to Egypt.

so, I’d like to get out for a gentlish spin, or am I dooming myself to slow recovery/yet another cold?

*2 mile flat commute excepted (still faster than bus)

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

sorry, just seen other thread on this. whoops.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I ride through a cold.

rugbydick

MTFU and keep riding?

sofatester
    Free Member

I’m feeling shocking at the moment, wheezy, cough, sweats blah blah blah. I havn’t been on my bike for over three weeks* now as the two weeks previous to getting this cold I’ve been sh!tting thorugh the eye of a needle with a bug I picked up on a work trip to Egypt.

Sounds like you have a bit more than just a cold!

Everyone is different (see above posts) but resting fully and giving the body a chance to heal is the best way. Yes, you can be a hero but it will just take longer for the bodies immune system to do it’s thing.

Sleep lots, eat healthy, keep hydrated and don’t go spreading it around!

RobHilton
    Free Member

I have to leave it a few weeks as a cold always descends into my lungs and lingers for a good while; I’m asthmatic enough to need a preventative inhaler and have a history of bronchitis.

That said a good ride hard slog towards the end really helps shake it – the timing is hard to judge though, last time I got it wrong and made it worse again, another attempt a week later cleared it nicely.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for a ride towards the end being enough to kill it off, no idea why that works though, the biological equivalent of a can of Whyns engine flush?

Other than that, I usualy start riding again as soon as I’m no longer coughtin/sneezing every 5 minutes, apaprently this is bad for training, but I ride for fun so thats of no consequence.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

It works because exercise stimulates your immune system.

If its above the neck you’re good to go. Below the neck or fever, best leave it a day or so.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I tend to MTFU and ride through it until I get proper ill and then end up out of sorts for 3 times longer than I would have been if I’d rested.

It’s the bloke way, don’t fight it.

Drac

You could feel sorry for yourself and get lot of sleep or you could just get on with things.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

well, on that basis, I’ll avoid the riding and just have a skinful tonight at the office party. Then move house tomorrow.

maybe next week then….

globalti
    Free Member

You probably have a secondary bacterial infection. See Dr for Amoxy.

If it was a cold I’d ride through it, but I think you have more than a cold.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘how long do you leave off riding after a cold’ is closed to new replies.