• This topic has 28 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by chum3.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How long do you give a new bike
  • Brown
    Free Member

… before deciding to get shot of it?

That’s it really. Not getting on with my new frame, wondering whether to flog it now while it’s still in good nick and worth something (relatively speaking) or keep persevering. And persevering.

First world problems and all that…

renton
    Free Member

You are are hora in disguise and I claim my £5

seavers
    Free Member

What don’t you like? Can it be fixed, like in the way the cockpit feels etc? If FS is it a shock tune issue? How many rides?

seavers
    Free Member

I thought it was a Hora thread too!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have you looked at the geometry and worked out why its wrong?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

came to post something about Hora, already been done 😆

Brown
    Free Member

I promise I’m not Hora… I don’t swap bikes often, hence my reluctance to just get shot of it.

It’s a hardtail, so no shock tune to worry about and the cockpit is pretty sorted. There are a couple of things I’m not keen on with the geometry that affect each other. Improving one worsens another etc. I was concerned about them before I got the bike but it was a warranty job and so choice was limited.

DanW
    Free Member

Hor… oh damn 😆

Obvious question: What is wrong? What are “geometry things”?

bearnecessities

I thought it was a Hora thread too!

Before I looked who had posted, I guessed it was Renton!

thegreatape
    Free Member

renton – Member

You are a fine one to talk and I claim your £5 🙂

bearnecessities

renton – Member

I never even clocked that Renton made that post!

You don’t think that possibly……..?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Can’t help but wonder can you

seavers
    Free Member

What have you come from and gone to OP? You mention frame so have you transferred existing components? What don’t you like about the geometry?

renton
    Free Member

Nah sorry folks not me.

I’m quite happy with the 5.

This one is a keeper I think.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you tried putting the wrong size wheels in it? Might improve things.

In answer to the op though – I give it nine months or so usually.

Have given a couple of bikes a reprieve after tweaking stuff like bar height.

Northwind

Tricky isn’t it… It’s quite easy to throw good money after bad, or to give up too early. I just got my first new full suss this decade, loving it for slow tech stuff but on faster simpler trails it feels like a square peg in a round hole, whever I put it feels like the wrong place. So I’m working on that and hoping I get used to it and trying to tweak things cheaply or for free but at the same time, other bikes catch your eye…

But then I remember, the bikes that feel good on day 1 quite often never feel any better, the bikes that take a bit of time quite often end up feeling better in the long run.

rickmeister

I’ve given a new bike a week, or a couple of rides. Only one failed which was suggested by a friend. Hated it from ride 1 ….

lunge

I’m currently in this boat with my new road bike. It fits, it’s fast, it looks great but, and this I fear is mainly due to a creaky pressfit BB that I just can’t sort out, I don’t want to ride it that much.

It may yet get shopped in for something else at this rate.

NormalMan

Off topic I know but @ Northwind – what have you bought?

Drac

Is this a Ho….

Oh!

Northwind

@Normal- a BMC Trailfox. It is enormous and heavy and stupidly quick in a straight line, I just can’t make it go round corners 😆

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

2 1/2 years for me, the last one at least.

Some of us spend a lot on bikes and put a lot of investment into the new bike choice. When you are riding around on a bit of kit that has been built up with hand picked components to your exacting spec its hard to admit to yourself that you have made a mistake, or that it is not getting the best out of you.

It took me 2 years of mincing and moaning, then loving it again before I had to move my last one on. Its replacement only confirmed that I have now finally done the right thing.

Expensive learning process though.

hora
    Free Member

Didn’t you see a glimmer initially, a spark? A feeling that it was good but needed abit of tweaking? If not RID.

For me to feel relaxed and confident in a bike I have to feel there is something there from the off- it has something, just needs tweaks.

The bikes that I had my bust up/falls on all were awkward feeling to me.

So OP- if you didn’t feel a spark, anything initially why are you dragging it out? I don’t understand this ‘you’ll get used to it’ mentality. Do people have the same approach to relationships?

The Butcher I had before was almost spot on from the off, my current is fanastic with 26’er wheels but mleh/standard bike stuff with 650b.

I bought a PlanetX pro carbon and didn’t like it at all. I endured the thing, always felt niggled on every ride. Swapped to a Ritchey Pro Logic and loved/love it.

Why stay in a loveless relationship being slammed hard up the behind by your hardtail…….. don’t take it anymore! 😀 😆

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

1. Until it pisses me off that the old bike felt better 😀

2. Until a potential new bike flutters its eyelashes in that way…

3. Rinse and repeat this mildly disturbing and costly analogy for a lifetime.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*Edit forgot to say that the older I became (and briefly while the more surplus income I this enjoyed) – the more precious/fussy I became about bikes. When younger I’d be more inclined to let self to fit the bike (within an inch or so either side of optimal)and thrash said bike with mindless abandon. Then it all became about geometry, upgrades, a mm here and there, obsessions with frame materials, weight, etc.

binners

For me to feel relaxed and confident in a bike I have to feel there is something there from the off- it has something, just needs tweaks. that its far too small for me, and I look like I should be riding round a big top, chasing a car who’s doors keep falling off. I will then endlessly bugger about with it, for no apparent reason whatsoever, without stopping for a second to evaluate whether any of this directionless pissing about is actually making any difference. Then I sell it, and the wole pointless, futile process begins again…..

hora
    Free Member

😆

13thfloormonk

Lunge, sounds like me and my Cannondale Synapse! It gets better 8)

chum3
    Free Member

Got my first ride of a new build this afternoon… Fingers crossed!

On paper all should be fine, but I don’t ride paper.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How long do you give a new bike’ is closed to new replies.