Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How long do you expect a manufacturer to carry spares/consumables?
  • letmetalktomark

I had an interesting, but frustrating talk with a manufacturer of forks before Christmas regarding seals & servicing.

I bought a pair of forks in 2007 from a mainline brand. At that point in time the fork was still current in the range.

During a routine inspection I noticed some cracking around the dust seals.

Quick phone call to the UK service centre confirms that no stock of spare parts exists for these forks anymore 😯

I have a couple of pairs of Marzochhi forks that I have had since new (late 90’s) that I can still get almost every conceivable part for.

The conversation ended in me being told that I was better off buying new forks…… 😯

Just to recap these were dust seals being talked about not damping rods or complex rebound systems.

Hmm …. 😕

Am I alone in thinking that spares should still be available?

The stanchion size, to the best of my knowledge, is still being used in the brands other forks …..

xiphon
    Free Member

I’ve stocked up on a few ‘spares’ for my old forks, in case they drop support completely.

Seals for Monsters in particular.

crazy-legs

Try TF Tuned Shox, they carry spares for most brands of forks dating back years.
    They serviced my 2002 RockShox Psylo’s recently, no probs with spares and bits for them.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Quick phone call to the UK service centre confirms that no stock of spare parts exists for these forks anymore 😯

Not Manitous by any chance are they?

letmetalktomark

PeterPoddy – Member

Quick phone call to the UK service centre confirms that no stock of spare parts exists for these forks anymore

Not Manitous by any chance are they?

No, not Manitous.

I will try TF to see if they carry spares or could offer an alternative but I don’t think they have ever dealt with the manufacturer to date.

toys19
    Free Member

must be Pace, basically since they sold out to DTSWISS then they give not a gnats toss for old pace fork owners.

khani
    Free Member

Zocchis?
    Yes it’s poo! 😕

BigJohn

Some electronic manufacturers have a pretty good idea of the failure rate of components and manufacture all the spares stock in one go. If an item has a higher than expected failure rate – mo more spares, lots of unrepairable machines, lots of glum customers.

letmetalktomark

It seems that the fork seals still work in one direction – as in no oil is leaking but I wouldn’t like to comment on the ingress of water and dirt 😕

Any pointers in trying to tease more life out of them?

Not Pace BTW 😉

If it had been Tim at Fork English would have been able to sort it 8)

kimbers

i bought some smith slider sungalsses they were 2005 empires 3 years ago
    smith no longer carry the lenses in the uk and even though i found them on their USA site the importers wouldnt source any for me

khani
    Free Member

If it’s pace, try fork English
    07879051461 – 63 Eastgate, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7DX.
    Edit toooooslooooow

scottidog
    Free Member

Why so coy? If you tell us what forks they are someone might be able to help…

I think people get too hung up on wanted branded seals, bearings etc. They can be sourced for a fraction of the price if you just measure the dimensions and look on the web. I’ve used simplybearings.co.uk before for 32mm seals for rockshox forks that cost around £2 a pop if i remember correctly.

Drac

As mentioned they’ll likely just be standard seal just measure them and going shopping.

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=19_20

akira

Enduro seals are pretty good.

letmetalktomark

scottidog – Member

Why so coy? If you tell us what forks they are someone might be able to help…

Not being coy just didn’t want to come across as brand bashing.

Forks are Magura Vidars.

Edit >>>

akira – Member

Enduro seals are pretty good.

Just seen that they stock Magura specific seals 8)

Will drop them a mail

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How long do you expect a manufacturer to carry spares/consumables?’ is closed to new replies.