Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • How long can you hold a plank?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Having started Pilates recently, I know it’s a lot harder to do a purposeful plank than it is to hold a plank like shape.

Exactly – as I said last night. There is looking like you are doing a Plank and actually doing a Plank correctly. I wager that all the people who did 5 minutes+ at their first attempt didn’t do it correctly.

My instructions for what is essentially a ‘half plank’ are:

Leg Pull in prone
    Starting position: Lie on your front in the ‘sphinx’ position. Lift your waist, lower ribcage and breastbone away from the mat. Slide your shoulder blades downwards and lengthen the back of your neck. Legs parallel, hip distance apart.

Level 1
    INHALE to prepare
    EXHALE lift your pelvis off the mat bringing your head, neck, trunk and pelvis into a modified horizontal ‘plank’ position. Roll your pelvis backwards to prevent arching your back.
    INHALE and hold your modified plank position
    EXHALE, lower to resume the sphinx position
    Reps: 10

Tips
    Imagine a harness suspended from the ceiling lifting and supporting your pelvis
    Imagine that the trunk is buoyant and is lifting upwards out of the shoulder joints to avoid sinking into the ribcage or shoulders
    Keep the elbow and knee joints soft

trickydisco
    Free Member

Started doing the plank at the gym last year. Started at 1.30 minutes and i’m not up to 5 minutes (but shaking violently in the last minute)

plyphon
    Free Member

Planking is quite redundant if you dont have the bodyweight required to make it tough in the first place. I used to be quite underweight and could do them forever* with absolutely no sign of fatigue. Not because I was super strong, just because I didn’t have any body weight to support.

I weight a lot more now after eating big for a few years, I should try again.

*until I got bored around 2/3 minutes.

sirromj

Try the hollow hold also, make sure small of back is pressed to floor otherwise is fail.

rmacattack
    Free Member

i’ve been carrying my apprentice since october whos a plank.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘How long can you hold a plank?’ is closed to new replies.